• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Seeing the Move or Die QL made me realize just how overcrowded the couch multiplayer genre is. There might not be a more oversaturated genre now. You have the Sports Friends stuff, IDARB, Towerfall, Samurai Gun, Gang Beasts, the two games Iron Galaxy is publishing, Duck Game, Capsule Force, Speed Runners, Mount Your Friends, Nidhogg, Ultimate Chicken Horse and those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. In addition, you have the old standards like Smash Bros, Wind Jammers, Tetris Battle Gaiden, Sanrio World Smash Ball (In my heart), etc. If you're looking for a game to play with your friends, you probably have one by now. Even if you have good ideas, that space must be near impossible to enter as an indie.

Particularly that version in #FE >_>

The Fire Emblem Opera has existed as a marketing tool long before #FE. It was even in Smash Bros. It's really dumb, but it's supposed to be.

justjim89

Elaborate please.

Or is it as simple as audiologs = pretentious ass indie game?

Not at all, no. But completely out of context, long-winded historical quotes in a game with no other voice acting so that the player can then after-the-fact speculate and theorize what the quotes really mean and infer a story or theme into a game where there otherwise is none strikes me as rather hoity-toity and pretentious. Like, if I wanted to make a parody of artsy indie games they would undoubtedly be included.

yami4ct

Wait.

I just learned that Nintendo has turned the Splatoon girls into Hatsune Miku-esque digital idols. Hologram concerts included.

Nope. My brain cannot handle this new info. Everything in my head just broke.

kvk1

Not at all, no. But completely out of context, long-winded historical quotes in a game with no other voice acting so that the player can then after-the-fact speculate and theorize what the quotes really mean and infer a story or theme into a game where there otherwise is none strikes me as rather hoity-toity and pretentious. Like, if I wanted to make a parody of artsy indie games they would undoubtedly be included.

Okay.

Just wanted to get an idea of where you're coming from.

Appreciate you expanding on the point.

demidar

Wait.

I just learned that Nintendo has turned the Splatoon girls into Hatsune Miku-esque digital idols. Hologram concerts included.

Nope. My brain cannot handle this new info. Everything in my head just broke.

It seems like Splatoon has taken Japan by storm, it would be silly to not milk this until it's drier than a desert.

That said, Squid Sisters hologram concert sounds fun.

justjim89

Okay.

Just wanted to get an idea of where you're coming from.

Appreciate you expanding on the point.

Certainly. I know I'm in the minority on that game, so I'll keep my mouth shut. I just got extra miffed about it today and mad at myself for playing as much as I did cause today my refund request was rejected.

yami4ct

It seems like Splatoon has taken Japan by storm, it would be silly to not milk this until it's drier than a desert.

That said, Squid Sisters hologram concert sounds fun.

I don't disagree that a Squid Sister's concert sounds great. Just the idea that Splatoon has gotten so big they can hold Miku-esque concerts with their gibberish music characters is pretty insane.

demidar

I don't disagree that a Squid Sister's concert sounds great. Just the idea that Splatoon has gotten so big they can hold Miku-esque concerts with their gibberish music characters is pretty insane.

Insane and great. Anything to hold back the tide of mobage garbage.

And it's a Wii U game no less. Soon you'll tell me Trump will become president.

Yeah based on what I saw on that QL, there's no way I could justify spending $40 on a game made entirely of line puzzles.

Especially when I just spent $100 on a new vita memory card.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jesus, the beastcrew were especially loopy in the latest beastcast. I could barely follow what's going on if I don't concentrate on it.

Jesus, the beastcrew were especially loopy in the latest beastcast. I could barely follow what's going on if I don't concentrate on it.

Yeah, I have no idea why it happened but they were running a mile a minute from go. Maybe it was cabin fever from having to record two straight podcasts after they lost the first one?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah based on what I saw on that QL, there's no way I could justify spending $40 on a game made entirely of line puzzles.

Especially when I just spent $100 on a new vita memory card.

At least its a easy game to dismiss if youre not into it. Even people that love it still say "yup what you see is what you get, this is the game", its not like "nah man you need to keep playing because it totally changes 10 hours in"

Oh my god.

JmRYkkV.png

DamnBoxes

I uh... got a group of friends together and we played The Division beta for five hours straight. I really hope the retail version of that game delivers.

kiguel182

"Is that magnet gonna fuck up my Wii U?"

"Yes, also that isn't your Wii U"

Cracked me up.

Also, Dan has an amiibo problem. So much money spent on those toys.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah I'm more leaning towards mess too. Like, mess is kinda why I come to giantbomb, but even this week's was too much of a mess.

Oh it was definitely an offtopic mess, but it was a damn beautiful mess. I still think I preferred last weeks podcast because it was a great mix of off topic nonsense and detailed discussion. I wouldn't want this weeks podcast to be the norm but I'll happily take one that's a mess now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom