• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

As someone often complaining about Idle Thumbs' plodding pace and their insistence on explaining each game they're talking about in extremely basic terms, no matter how obviously familiar people listening to a gaming podcast would be with these games... at least that means I never had as much trouble actually retaining information about a game like I had about that Ice game Austin talked about. :lol

Something about writers and scanning books and Captain America being on a train.

hamchan

As someone often complaining about Idle Thumbs' plodding pace and their insistence on explaining each game they're talking about in extremely basic terms, no matter how obviously familiar people listening to a gaming podcast would be with these games... at least that means I never had as much trouble actually retaining information about a game like I had about that Ice game Austin talked about. :lol

Something about writers and scanning books and Captain America being on a train.

I don't remember this Ice game but I remember Carmen Sandiego.

Sakwoff

Yeah, that can be kind of irksome. But at least the Thumbs usually then go on making interesting points on the game in question.

And then there is the other extreme with the Bombcast where Brad and Jeff especially are able to stretch an extremely basic point like "this game looks great and plays well" or "it's crazy that there isn't more stuff in this game" over extraordinary lengths of time, reiterating the same thing over and over and over again.

(Disclaimer: I love the Bombcast.)

Every podcast has its quirks I guess. :D

Jintor

you know i would like it if thumbs spent less time 'explaining' games and more just talking about how the felt about them, but it's usually not that long

beastcast was definitely messy. fun, but messy.

I like how every time Vinny tries to put on a voice it completely derails the whole show because everyone else is baffled at what he's trying to do.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This week's Beastcast is the first time I feel like I got almost nothing out of it. And the only time I can ever remember thinking "Vinny please shut up". He was just shrill. That never happens.

Also I think the Beastcast really needs just a "what games are we playing" segment. Feels like they barely talk about games sometimes.

I can't really blame them for fucking around while they have to fake-talk about things they already spent two hours discussing.

It'd actually be problem if Vinny wasn't so damn good at improv.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I really enjoyed the Beastcast. I'm love messes. Wouldn't want them any week or even once a month or so, but sometimes is fine.

Sulik2

I swear the crew must have had a few drinks before that cast. They were all over the place. Funny at times but went on to long. Please let Bakalar be healthy next week, they need his sanity to ground them.

daydream

Banned
i dunno, a podcast where vinny is the 'weak link' sounds like a pretty damn good podcast to me

i actually do think vinny is the weak link in most beastcasts but that's completely relative since he's still fantastic so yeah

Also I think the Beastcast really needs just a "what games are we playing" segment. Feels like they barely talk about games sometimes.
I initially felt that way but considering that they want to keep the podcast short I'd much rather they spend more time digging into news stories than just recapping what they've been playing.

They also already have a section where they can bring up anything they've been playing if they feel it's noteworthy.

I really enjoyed the Beastcast. I'm love messes. Wouldn't want them any week or even once a month or so, but sometimes is fine.

Yeah, the Beastcast is generally pretty tight so I don't mind it going completely off rails every now and then. It also makes sense that this one would do that because they had spent time discussing those topics before that recording was lost.

Haunted

Not every single episode can be a winner. There are no perfect runs. There have been a ton of very enjoyable Beastcasts and I'm sure next week will be another good one.

You could say, with Jeff they'll be back
fuck u

On the last Idle Thumbs they spent an extensive time explaining the classic card game Bridge.
Which makes complete sense for a gaming podcast. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

i had no idea what was going on for that whole section, which felt like an hour.

Frith

i've got 45 mins left but the beast cast is hilarious this week.

one think that cracks me up twice is how austin seems to lean away from the mic to laugh which i think really sells some jokes.
it also reminded me of tay zonday existing wich also made me laugh.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You know what's way more fun than the Witness? Optimization problems and regression lines. I'm having so much fun right now. Oh Karush-Kuhn-Tucker, you so crazy.

Jintor

i've got 45 mins left but the beast cast is hilarious this week.

one think that cracks me up twice is how austin seems to lean away from the mic to laugh which i think really sells some jokes.
it also reminded me of tay zonday existing wich also made me laugh.

there's really not much that brings more joy to me than Austin going "...HAH!!!!!!!!" because in my minds eye i always see him collapse in laughter at that point

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, thing is that I pretty much listen to podcasts while doing something else, so I sometimes drift in and out of conversations. Could barely follow what's happening other than vinny making wacky voices sometimes.

Eh, thing is that I pretty much listen to podcasts while doing something else, so I sometimes drift in and out of conversations. Could barely follow what's happening other than vinny making wacky voices sometimes.

That's pretty much where I was at. All I know about Ice-Bound after that segment is it has cyber-GRRM in it.

Scizzy

This was definitely the most polarizing Beastcast of all depending on what appeals to you about it. I couldn't get into this week at all, but I can see why some people loved it.

It's a symptom of having to rerecord something unfortunately. But I'd still rather have this than nothing at all. The Carmen part had me in tears because I thought it was real lore at first.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Nah see I love it when giantbomb goes off the rails, but this episode seems a bit... forced?

The bits just weren't good. Like, a lot of the most classic Giant Bomb moments have nothing to do with games. It's not that, that's fine. The voices were just shrill and not funny, and the bits went on too long.

But some people loved it so I don't wanna keep harping on it. It just felt weird, like Vinny was on drugs or something. I watched the Mad Men episode The Crash just the other day and Vinny reminded me of everyone on speed in that episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nDsLx98SI

The bits just weren't good. Like, a lot of the most classic Giant Bomb moments have nothing to do with games. It's not that, that's fine. The voices were just shrill and not funny, and the bits went on too long.

But some people loved it so I don't wanna keep harping on it. It just felt weird, like Vinny was on drugs or something. I watched the Mad Men episode The Crash just the other day and Vinny reminded me of everyone on speed in that episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nDsLx98SI

Imagine if the audio fucked up a second time and they had to record again? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUfImwI87s

Think we'll get a guest article from Patrick about something that happened in Mario Maker?

I'd hope they're not planning to use whatever small budget they have on people who are already salaried writers.

I also don't see why Patrick would write an article for Giant Bomb when he can just write it for Kotaku.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Yesterday's Beastcast was just impossible to listen to like that. I tried and forgot at least three different times that Austin was talking about a game.

Zaph

Because Vinny's spent over a decade with 'veteran' podcasters, I don't think he's as apt at hosting when things go off the rails or get a bit heated. The Beastcast a few weeks back was a good example - a couple times Jeff would be telling a CES story, then Alex or Austin would jump in with an anecdote and we'd not hear the end of Jeff's story.

I really like the Beastcast, but if I had one complaint it would be Vinny knowing when not to be nice and instead go into host mode and carve out space for someone to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom