• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

PAX Wrestling SouthernSlam is on in the chat currently. No GB folks there, although Lang is on commentary.

I gotta say though, at a certain point these people need to learn how to competently play the game. It's not complicated to learn, you play it every PAX. Take 45 minutes to learn how all the mechanics work and you're good.

The last match just ended because one person didn't understand how to get back in the ring.

Edit: TWO IN A ROW!

Eh, for me, no GB involvement makes this the equivalent of a house show without the stars.

Yep. And for the bigger stuff, I've been disappointed at them trying to script it. Like, having predetermined results on a video game of a fake sport is like too many levels deep. If Alex is going to crush everyone, then let Alex crush everyone, none of this stupid interference stuff like last PAX Rumble.

justjim89

Yep. And for the bigger stuff, I've been disappointed at them trying to script it. Like, having predetermined results on a video game of a fake sport is like too many levels deep. If Alex is going to crush everyone, then let Alex crush everyone, none of this stupid interference stuff like last PAX Rumble.

They really don't need to script it, since it seems like only three or four people understand how wrestling matches work, let alone the actual gameplay. Alex is the best by a country mile.

mintyice

Watching any fighting game on UPF has me like

tumblr_mo9qq3bgxr1svus96o1_400.png

oti

Banned
This PAX wrestling thing is too much like wrestling. As in it's fun the first time when you're young and dumb but now you are less dumb and know how dumb wrestling is.

Anyone else's GB chat broken in Chrome? If I'm not logged in, I can see it. If I do log in, it just sits at black.

Actually it's broken in Firefox for me, too.

justjim89

This PAX wrestling thing is too much like wrestling. As in it's fun the first time when you're young and dumb but now you are less dumb and know how dumb wrestling is.

Even the worst matches on TV wrestling still have something of a narrative through line and a logic to them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I normally do other stuff while listening to podcasts too but I had to stop and just focus when Vinny was doing his Gamestop skit. I was cracking up by the end too. I love how much you can hear Alex laughing in the background even as he leans away from the mic

daydream

Banned
not sure scoops' yt is for me anymore. mario maker mornings is still fun now and then but the youtube persona is getting too off-putting. the latest highlight reel that was uploaded made me realise that

The Technomancer

Boy howdy, we must have different definitions of what "good" constitutes.

He's very good considering that Austin and Alex are not particularly good, it is very hard to improv off of someone who's responses are mostly "uhm I guess yeah". And I'm not saying that to disparage them, just that Vinny would be genuinely good if you put him in a room with someone to really bounce off of

popo

Beastcast was still an okay listen. Vinny was a bit much and the others seems like they were trying to keep up with him. Rare off day.. Less coffee next week please.

I can't really blame them for fucking around while they have to fake-talk about things they already spent two hours discussing.

It'd actually be problem if Vinny wasn't so damn good at improv.

I have not finished the podcast but do they actually say they lost a whole ep? Impression was more just the gear forced them to give up on Thursday. When they lost an ep at E3 they talked about it for half the following episode.

I'd hope they're not planning to use whatever small budget they have on people who are already salaried writers.

I also don't see why Patrick would write an article for Giant Bomb when he can just write it for Kotaku.

I don't think either Kotaku or GB would go for that.

I suspect Austin wants to showcase less know writers. Greg isn't an unknowns but he does have an interesting take on something in the industry, so I can see why they approached him.

They are paying the going rate for freelance. Given figures I have heard such as $200-300 for reviewing a 70 hour RPG - a short article should just about pay for a happy meal. The small budget should stretch quite far.

justjim89

I know I have a personal bias because I've put hundreds of hours into N64 wrestling games, but they're really not complicated controls or mechanics. If you can wrap your head around a complicated ass fighting game, Wrestlemania 2000 should be a cakewalk to understand.

That being said, Lang on commentary with Trites is absolute gold and needs to keep happening.

Frith

i've heard 150 bandied around a lot (for reviews or articles that aren't quick news blasts) i've often wondered how this got justified when the fulltime staff salaries had to be vastly more than that per review or they just wouldn't be able to live.

I suspect Austin wants to showcase less know writers. Greg isn't an unknowns but he does have an interesting take on something in the industry, so I can see why they approached him.

They are paying the going rate for freelance. Given figures I have heard such as $200-300 for reviewing a 70 hour RPG - a short article should just about pay for a happy meal. The small budget should stretch quite far.

Yeah a mix of freelance writers and game devs (more of the former) is what I'm expecting. Greg definitely makes sense even if he's a bit of a safe choice.

Hey if any folks near Canton, TX are at trade days today, man this place is wild.

Couldn't download my GB stuff because I had to sleep up, left at 5am for the drive over.

The Technomancer

i've heard 150 bandied around a lot (for reviews or articles that aren't quick news blasts) i've often wondered how this got justified when the fulltime staff salaries had to be vastly more than that per review or they just wouldn't be able to live.

I think it depends a lot based on your previous work. I've got a friend who's a fairly active freelancer who survives pretty well on probably less then 10 pieces a month

popo

I think it depends a lot based on your previous work. I've got a friend who's a fairly active freelancer who survives pretty well on probably less then 10 pieces a month

I am sure it does depend. On the person and what is being asked of them. That piece Greg wrote is really short. A pro freelancer could knock out a ton of those for every review they write - given they have to account for time to play the game as well.

How do they justify poor rates? Buyers market. I don't know how much Gamespot pays for their reviews but I bet there are a ton of takers at any price, if only because they get to put a big site on their CV and it helps them get a salary position. I bet GS saved a fortune firing all their writers. I don't recognise any of these freelance peeps they brought in, but I suspect the clicks remain the same, especially for their audience who just scans down to see the score anyway.

The Technomancer

I am sure it does depend. On the person and what is being asked of them. That piece Greg wrote is really short. A pro freelancer could knock out a ton of those for every review they write - given they have to account for time to play the game as well.

How do they justify poor rates? Buyers market. I don't know how much Gamespot pays for their reviews but I bet there are a ton of takers at any price, if only because they get to put a big site on their CV and it helps them get a salary position. I bet GS saved a fortune firing all their writers. I don't recognise any of these freelance peeps they brought in, but I suspect the clicks remain the same, especially for their audience who just scans down to see the score anyway.

Actually now I'm curious if a game being high profile factors into it as well. Said friend wrote Gamespot's review of one of the largest releases of 2014 and I wonder if that paid particularly well. I'd feel awkward asking though

jaina

Yeah, moving to a lot of freelance reviews must save them a lot (even if it's a bit riskier). At least Peter Brown's in charge of reviews.

Side note: Kevin van Ord did a review for GS again. But I think mostly for fun, he's still at his Trion job.

jaina

His contract with Trion is over and they didn't renew. He's looking for work, which seems to be the life of a writer.
ok. I checked his twitter bio (but not the tweets) because the "about the author" says he's between projects. hopefully the next one comes around soon.

Kaizer

Banned
Late to the discussion, but just wanted to chime in and say this week's Beastcast was hilarious. Of course, I knew immediately when listening that Vinny's antics would certainly get a polarizing reaction, but I don't mind them going completely off the rails every once in a while.

Missed Backalar this week, hopefully he's on the next one!

Late to the discussion, but just wanted to chime in and say this week's Beastcast was hilarious. Of course, I knew immediately when listening that Vinny's antics would certainly get a polarizing reaction, but I don't mind them going completely off the rails every once in a while.

Missed Backalar this week, hopefully he's on the next one!

Yeah, I like Jeff a whole lot, but no Jeff just means more Vinny.

Made it through about 15 minutes of the beast cast...was Vinny drunk? Bakalar is solely missed on that podcast as he's the closest thing they have to a straight man to keep the other guys from going off the rails one upping each other's jokes.

descriptive marks shouldn't be granted (generally)

still, even having a trademark to those phrase in no way gives them exclusive license to a vague presentation format. that's asinine. it's like if i somehow trademarked the word "interview" and demanded that all late night shows pay me a fee for the right to interview people. it's total nonsense.

the legal implications are less troubling than the weight a channel like they have has on youtube's own systems. anybody can make any claim on any video, but when it's a partner like them making the claims, I'd imagine it's harder to push back.

but like someone in that thread mentioned, if they wanted to prove precedent, Japanese television might have something to say about that

f0rk

descriptive marks shouldn't be granted (generally)

still, even having a trademark to those phrase in no way gives them exclusive license to a vague presentation format. that's asinine. it's like if i somehow trademarked the word "interview" and demanded that all late night shows pay me a fee for the right to interview people. it's total nonsense.

Under the actual law sure, but this is youtube and their takedown robots do what they want

Made it through about 15 minutes of the beast cast...was Vinny drunk? Bakalar is solely missed on that podcast as he's the closest thing they have to a straight man to keep the other guys from going off the rails one upping each other's jokes.

MTV, it's like "bow chicka wowwww," you know? Oh wait, maybe that was before. Now it's like "bwommmmmm"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom