• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to play Elite Dangerous. First let them grasp the absolute absurd hugeness of the Milky Way, 400 billion stars and then let them know that there is an estimated 100 million galaxies in the universe. Everyone should realize how insignificant earth and humanity is. It would bring a lot of very needed perspective to the world.

Play in VR to magnify the effect. Warping into a system and having a huge planet or sun suddenly fill the entirety of your vision is pretty remarkable.

I've been endlessly tempted by this game but have never pulled the trigger. Mostly spurred by how awesome I thought it looked when Drew entered that space station in the Unfinished.

Ditto with VR. The scale of those things is so awesome.

I refuse to believe you. But also would like to know what they think a galaxy is. Unless each planet is actually a galaxy.

A lot of people think solar system/galaxy/universe are all synonyms for the same thing.

I've been endlessly tempted by this game but have never pulled the trigger. Mostly spurred by how awesome I thought it looked when Drew entered that space station in the Unfinished.

That QL and the follow up at launch convinced me to buy the game. Since then I've put in more than 500 hours. It's not for everyone though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I can't believe XCOM 2 will be out in less than a week. I'm super excited for that game. And I have an entire free month to play it. (and the Witness)

Fantastapotamus

i preordered xcom 2 but i have this horrible premonition i'm just going to be launching kerbals into space indefinitely

You could just imagine that in XCOM 2 you fight those Kerbals you launched into space. Actually, that should be a mod for that game.

Which ones you know? I know 5 too: Kendrick, Grimes, Tame Impala, Jamie xx, and Chvrches.

I've never heard of Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty, Jamie xx, Julia Holter, and Oneohtrix Point Never.

Tried listening to that Jamie xx album and hated it. Courtnet Barnett seems interesting. the rest didn't do much for me.

I've heard of 34 of 50 in total.

Lunar FC

I've never heard of Courtney Barnett, Father John Misty, Jamie xx, Julia Holter, and Oneohtrix Point Never.

Tried listening to that Jamie xx album and hated it. Courtnet Barnett seems interesting. the rest didn't do much for me.

I've heard of 34 of 50 in total.

Have you listed to The xx? I didn't like that Jamie xx album that much even being a huge fan of the xx.

Jintor

You could just imagine that in XCOM 2 you fight those Kerbals you launched into space. Actually, that should be a mod for that game.

i installed a rocket chatter mod (it's really good, I reckon Vinny should use it) and am reading a book about the Apollo program in the minute breaks between warp-to and intercept points. I'm all in on space

Fantastapotamus

i installed a rocket chatter mod (it's really good, I reckon Vinny should use it) and am reading a book about the Apollo program in the minute breaks between warp-to and intercept points. I'm all in on space

You could play Star Citizen. You can actually do that now. Kinda-ish.

Even if To Pimp a Butterfly is probably the best album of the year in terms of pure craft and artistry and whatnot, I've listened to at least one or two songs on Every Open Eye every damn day since it was released. That's some damn good synth business.

Lunar FC

I totally didn't make that connection. I vaguely remember thinking they had a few songs I was into

Yeah you should defiantly give them some more listens.

Yeah I hear ya. I'll bet you could lower settings and play Elite with the Rift at 75+ fps.

Might do that depending on how much I'm into Eve:Valkyrie.

Also you have a thin line on the top of your avatar that is really bugging me. :p

If you are interested in the Space Program, watch "When We Left The Earth" . I think it was the last great thing I've watched on the Discovery channel.
I'm going to watch some of this tonight solely based on your recommendation. Don't let me down bruh.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
either GAF has weird taste in music or I'm officially in old fart territory because I've never even heard of 5 of the top 10 artists of 2015

Not an old fart, but I've been retreating to my own collection for a few years now instead of searching for new music, so I have about the same strike rate as you when it comes to recognizing the top 10. I've been using Spotify and Google music to start searching for new music nowadays though so that's been great.

Not an old fart, but I've been retreating to my own collection for a few years now instead of searching for new music, so I have about the same strike rate as you when it comes to recognizing the top 10. I've been using Spotify and Google music to start searching for new music nowadays though so that's been great.

it's like, I'm okay with not forcing myself to listen to things I'm not into in an effort to be well-informed, but the thought that there is probably lots of stuff out there that I would like that I don't know about always bugs me. So I always trawl through those lists and a lot of it gets me down

but every once in a while...

Antiwhippy

Eh whatever, with how much the internet has expanded our ability to discover, it'll be literally impossible to experience everything we want to experience. Just take the list as a rec list, and enjoy things at your own pace. I don't want to be bogged down trying to enjoy all I want to enjoy, and just take things at my own pace.

I'm going to watch some of this tonight solely based on your recommendation. Don't let me down bruh.

Well, it basically covers every major Nasa mission from the Mercury to the Shuttle program, including stunning footage and interviews from pretty much every major player still alive, including an interview with Neil Armstrong, who very rarely did public interviews. I thought it was phenomenal.

Eh whatever, with how much the internet has expanded our ability to discover, it'll be literally impossible to experience everything we want to experience. Just take the list as a rec list, and enjoy things at your own pace. I don't want to be bogged down trying to enjoy all I want to enjoy, and just take things at my own pace.

I've always been like this. fortunately with spotify and bandcamp, it's made it a lot cheaper.

until I got into music that I have to import anyway :\

Jintor

this powerbombcast is really great to listen to because drew's on it so the regulars kind of drop into... well, it almost feels more like they're talking about game design than anything else

Like I have a little WWE knowledge just by PAX/VGCW osmosis but this is really laying it out nicely

I've kind of hit an enjoyment wall with The Witness. I feel like the areas where the game clicked with me have a certain running theme to them that the areas I'm trying to tackle now simply don't have. And it's frustrating.

And I also feel like I'm behind in finishing it which makes me feel pressured to finish it. Trying not to make the same mistake that I made with MGSV.

justjim89

I'm also really psyched for XCOM 2. I hate the story conceit of "Fuck you, you lost last time," but I like the idea of a guerrilla-style stealthy approach. It definitely looks to add an extra layer of depth to the combat. Can't wait to dive into that.

I'm considering booting up Endless Legend for the first time. Never played a 4x game before, but something about that game's style really grabbed me.

Antiwhippy

One thing that kept me away from endless legend is that while I enjoyed endless space, it's like a "baby's first 4X" in its simplicity.

not sure scoops' yt is for me anymore. mario maker mornings is still fun now and then but the youtube persona is getting too off-putting. the latest highlight reel that was uploaded made me realise that

The "wahoo"s and over the top reactions during Mario Maker was it for me. I like Patrick but not YouTube-Patrick. No judgement though, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive in the cold, animistic tundra of YouTube personalities.

One thing that kept me away from endless legend is that while I enjoyed endless space, it's like a "baby's first 4X" in its simplicity.

I actually feel reversed on them. I felt Endless Space was really pretty but way too simple (though i'm biased since I really love Sins of a Solar Empire), while Endless Legend I found to be a good mix of depth and simplicity.

It's hard finding that perfect '4x' game

I like Civ 5 alot, spent hundreds of hours in it, I want something like it but not too complicated like say, those...other big 4x games....

The "wahoo"s and over the top reactions during Mario Maker was it for me. I like Patrick but not YouTube-Patrick. No judgement though, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive in the cold, animistic tundra of YouTube personalities.

there's a term for that

reel big fish named a song after it, I think

Lunar FC

The same friend of mine who didn't know what the solar system was also made me change 'Take On Me' half way into the song during a road trip. Should I stop talking to this person?

Tubobutts

I was watching the latest Metal Gear Scanlon and because of how dark the room is it looked like Drew was lying down with his legs across Dan's lap for a second.

K8BzlDq.jpg

remember way back when we were wondering if a "naked" kerbal could make it back to earth from outside of the atmosphere?

apparently the answer is "yes," if you land in water. hit the water at like 60m/s and survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom