• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

The text file that comes with the wad actually says that you need an advanced engine (in the first line even). Brad just didn't read that far. ;)

I downloaded the WAD earlier to check the text file myself. Well there it is then. Pretty obvious just from the error though. You saved myself some reading though. Still gonna play the level myself though.

Dear Ubisoft,

I want a new Splinter Cell.

Love
Strafer

Only if they can reach Chaos Theory quality gain. Otherwise, meh.

Jintor

after much effort i have finally landed a rocket on the moon with enough fuel to take off again. This time I ran out of fuel after exiting munar orbit on the way back to kerbin so I'm trying to push my rocket into re-entry heading by eva suit.

argh.

I'm playing Enemy Within again in an attempt to decide if I really want more XCom in my life. I forgot how many options you have when starting a game on ways to tweak the gameplay.

I'm playing Enemy Within again in an attempt to decide if I really want more XCom in my life. I forgot how many options you have when starting a game on ways to tweak the gameplay.

It was cool as hell that they put all those out for free post-release. Training Roulette is the best one if you're looking to mix things up in a pretty insane way.

I'd probably jump into the division but it looks like all the fun is to be had with multiplayer and PVP stuff, so that's not happening on my end. The UI is a little bad too. As much as I like the "in world" elements (like the title for zones appearing in the air), that perpetual info block to the right of your character just looks bad. Much rather have it be on screen or done smoothly like Dead Space's UI system.

The PVP stuff is the main thing keeping me from being really interested in it. If there's a decent chunk of non PVP content in the final game then I'll probably check it out but right now it feels like they're hanging their hat on the PVP and I don't find any of that interesting.

It was cool as hell that they put all those out for free post-release. Training Roulette is the best one if you're looking to mix things up in a pretty insane way.
It's a good sign for XCOM 2 having long legs, especially with it's really strong mod support.

I just wanted to do the flanking ones because I am a sucker for getting flanking positions with my snipers.

Oh man any unit with most of the sniper bonuses would be great. I'll make this run my normal one and do a real goofy one next.

Patryn

I'd probably jump into the division but it looks like all the fun is to be had with multiplayer and PVP stuff, so that's not happening on my end. The UI is a little bad too. As much as I like the "in world" elements (like the title for zones appearing in the air), that perpetual info block to the right of your character just looks bad. Much rather have it be on screen or done smoothly like Dead Space's UI system.

I played the Beta strictly solo. I don't plan on really doing the MP thing in that game, and I get the sense there's a decent sized amount of solo content to be had.

However, keep in mind that I'm also the sort of person who loves playing the Borderlands games solo as well.

However, keep in mind that I'm also the sort of person who loves playing the Borderlands games solo as well.

I got the Borderlands games years after they were out and only played solo, so I have no idea how the MP experience there would match up.

But I'll probably just wait for the full release and reviews to come out before I do anything. If I need a loot game, I've still go Warframe.

Patryn

I got the Borderlands games years after they were out and only played solo, so I have no idea how the MP experience there would match up.

But I'll probably just wait for the full release and reviews to come out before I do anything. If I need a loot game, I've still go Warframe.

Let me just say that I've played some Warframe, and there is definitely a lot more solo content than in that game. There's an actual story, for one thing.

Let me just say that I've played some Warframe, and there is definitely a lot more solo content than in that game. There's an actual story, for one thing.

Oh dude I'm well aware (1860 hours; warframe is my dota). Solo experience in Warframe is utter crap especially when starting out without the essential mods and the understanding of game mechanics. They did do some nice player introduction updates a while back and recently did a rad story update too very recently, but that's a part that needs a lot of work.

I'm wondering how the hell Jeff Gerstmann is managing to get through The Witness with his color blindness, some of these puzzles towards the end must be unbelievably frustrating.

I'm wondering how the hell Jeff Gerstmann is managing to get through The Witness with his color blindness, some of these puzzles towards the end must be unbelievably frustrating.

I can't imagine trying to complete the
bunker
as a color-blind person. You would literally need to have someone beside you telling you what every color was.

Doop

There's also a puzzle I did where I thought "there's no way deaf people can do this". I wonder if Blow will add any accessibility options, although I don't know what you could do.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
'if you are not able to solve these puzzles, just skip them' is a shitty way to answer to colorblind and deaf people.

Its a bad answer

The problem represented is an interesting one though. I'm vocal about accessibility being important, and something the industry needs to prioritize. But in the case of a game like The Witness, where the core of the game is very intricate puzzles, it feels very limiting to say that color puzzles (or sound puzzles because of deafness) are off the table as design space. It would be one thing if the puzzles in question were just simple red/green symbols that could be easily remapped to red/yellow or something, but he does some cool stuff with the full spectrum and color mixing and stuff.

'if you are not able to solve these puzzles, just skip them' is a shitty way to answer to colorblind and deaf people.

it's so easy to fix too. don't do the dumb thing that just plasters a color filter over the whole thing, just add a texture to the tiles to separate them (triangle, circle, etc)

Advanced Warfare has the most insulting colorblind mode ever, it just bathes everything in a fuchsia tint, it's actually somehow worse than having it turned off

It would be one thing if the puzzles in question were just simple red/green symbols that could be easily remapped to red/yellow or something, but he does some cool stuff with the full spectrum and color mixing and stuff.

well, terrific, then add a button in there that auto-solves those puzzles so that we can at least get credit for them being completed.

it's so easy to fix too. don't do the dumb thing that just plasters a color filter over the whole thing, just add a texture to the tiles to separate them (triangle, circle, etc)

Wouldn't work for the puzzles in The Witness. Spoiler for puzzle mechanics:
The puzzles are literally based on colors, i.e. primary colors and their combinations.

well, terrific, then add a button in there that auto-solves those puzzles so that we can at least get credit for them being completed.
Or look up the solution online.

Really? That's a shame since I'm also colorblind. Well, just like Kid Icarus being fucked for left handed people, I have an excuse not to buy the game at all then.

Yeah in this puzzle I'm only seeing two colors here http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--LBOZIX2l--/cpszfv5xm23hnfiu1vrc.png

Didn't know there was three until the article said there was.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah that sucks for people with visual/hearing impairments :( as much as I like Blow's work his excuse is really bad. Maybe have a toggle setting that replaces color/hearing-dependent puzzles with other puzzles using different mechanics even if they're rehashes from elsewhere in the game? I'd bet that's more desirable than just having them be plain unsolvable.

On the other hand I guess there are some puzzles that require knowledge "outside of the game" to solve, Jeff even mentioned having to keep notes on a piece of paper and using photoshop, so not being able to see/hear clues and requiring outside assistance could be seen as an extension of that by those who have these issues and still want to play the game :p I actually like the idea of puzzles only being solvable by cooperating with someone else, but I think that's not a good excuse in this because clearly it wasn't made deliberately like that. Still sucks.

One thing I dislike about Xcom is how it handles discovering an enemy batch. If you move passed them they get a free movement turn to get into position and if that happens to occur at the very end of your turn, well fuck you hope you weren't too attached to that soldier that is now flanked because the aliens ran to advantageous positions. Part of me says that's my fault for not clearing rooms though.

As far as the WItness is concerned, I understand where Blow is coming from but there really shouldn't be puzzles like that. A person might not actually be able to 100% the game, or especially for the Witness, I wonder if the person might not realize there's a mechanic they literally can't process.

It sucks because the color area has been the most challenging and enjoyable section of the game for me so far, but there's just no way to adapt it for color-blind folks. You would have to replace that whole part of the game, environment and all, with something completely different. The other problem being that even if you skip that area, I could imagine every time you get stuck on a puzzle you would start to wonder "Is there some color bullshit going on here that I'm not seeing, and that's why I can't solve this?" which would be frustrating. It's the nature of having a game where everything is so carefully and deliberately constructed. Cutting out any one piece creates ripples.

To quote Professor Walker: "It's tough."

One thing I dislike about Xcom is how it handles discovering an enemy batch. If you move passed them they get a free movement turn to get into position and if that happens to occur at the very end of your turn, well fuck you hope you weren't too attached to that soldier that is now flanked because the aliens ran to advantageous positions. Part of me says that's my fault for not clearing rooms though.

I think it made sense from a gameplay balance perspective -- with abilities like Squadsight and high-level weapons, it would be too easy to just send someone dashing forward immediately to catch all of the aliens out of cover -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't annoying as hell when that poor last guy stumbled upon a clusterfuck of aliens. I'm glad they're flipping this around in the sequel and letting you get the first shot (it jives with the "XCOM as insurgents" theme, too).

Bowlie

Banned

Advanced Warfare has the most insulting colorblind mode ever, it just bathes everything in a fuchsia tint, it's actually somehow worse than having it turned off

WoW has the same kind of mode, turning everything to purple. Maybe it's better for other types of color blindness (i'm deuteranope), but for me it does damn nothing.

(and yeah, some 3DS games were clearly designed for right-handed players)

I think it made sense from a gameplay balance perspective -- with abilities like Squadsight and high-level weapons, it would be too easy to just send someone dashing forward immediately to catch all of the aliens out of cover -- but that doesn't mean it wasn't annoying as hell when that poor last guy stumbled upon a clusterfuck of aliens. I'm glad they're flipping this around in the sequel and letting you get the first shot (it jives with the "XCOM as insurgents" theme, too).

Oh that's excellent, because in the start of the game before Squadsight it's basically "whoops that guy's dead." Is there an example of that in gameplay videos somewhere, because I'd like to know how they're doing that.

Someone should design a puzzle game that only colourblind players can bear.

Wouldn't be hard. These things give me headaches with the right color combinations.

5391718_std.jpg

Oh that's excellent, because in the start of the game before Squadsight it's basically "whoops that guy's dead." Is there an example of that in gameplay videos somewhere, because I'd like to know how they're doing that.

You can see it in action around the 12:00 mark in the XCOM 2 Quick Look EX. If you're in cover and spot some aliens, you can clearly see their line of sight now and they won't react to your presence until you a) enter it or b) open fire. Maybe my favorite change in the sequel I've seen so far.

AcridMeat

Banned
Had very similar thoughts after playing yesterday. The dark zone was actually way more underwhelming than I was anticipating. Pretty disappointed it isn't what I wanted it to be.

So it really is Destiny.

You can see it in action around the 12:00 mark in the XCOM 2 Quick Look EX. If you're in cover and spot some aliens, you can clearly see their line of sight now and they won't react to your presence until you a) enter it or b) open fire. Maybe my favorite change in the sequel I've seen so far.

That's only before the first encounter in the level, though. After that it's the old rules (you can see this at 15:25)

That's only before the first encounter in the level, though. After that it's the old rules (you can see this at 15:25)

Yeah, that's true. At least they're giving you some element of surprise (and I'm wondering if they might give you methods to maintain concealment depending on how quickly you dispatch of that first encounter or through abilities/equipment).

Also: procedurally generated levels are back!

Actually it'd be pretty rad if there was some kind of evasion mechanic (like a countdown turn timer or smoke grenades) to enter back into the hidden state. Or maybe if you killed the entire spotted squad in one go, you wouldn't start an alert.

I'm sure it's too late for any of that to happen for release assuming it isn't implemented in some fashion, but maybe down the line.

Actually it'd be pretty rad if there was some kind of evasion mechanic (like a countdown turn timer or smoke grenades) to enter back into the hidden state. Or maybe if you killed the entire spotted squad in one go, you wouldn't start an alert.

I'm sure it's too late for any of that to happen for release assuming it isn't implemented in some fashion, but maybe down the line.

Suppressor upgrade for weapons (alternative to something that gives more damage for example) and killing the entire enemy group in one go would seem like a good condition for staying hidden.

Wunder

re: XCOM2 there is a class that can stay in concealment once your Squad goes loud but the devs very much want the game to still be traditional XCOM and not a 'stealth' game perse. While it may be possible to sneak around in the early parts of a mission, for the most part, once you get discovered or shoot an alien it's back to normal XCOM.

There's also an emphasis on guerilla tactics as well so unlike in EU/EW where you usually have to eradicate all the aliens, this time you might find yourself running away before overwhelming reinforcements come rushing in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom