• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

...I reached the area with color puzzles in The Witness, fuck meeeeee. I'm gonna ask for every solution because I literally can't solve them.

Witness is a cool game when things click but I have that issue where I don't have the patience to let it hit me. will probably just look up stuff as well cuz I wanna see the mind blowing stuff before people spoil it for me.

justjim89

Sent the same email into the Bombcast and the Beastcast this week. Curious to see if it ends up being read on both like my pockets one.

Patryn

Witness is a cool game when things click but I have that issue where I don't have the patience to let it hit me. will probably just look up stuff as well cuz I wanna see the mind blowing stuff before people spoil it for me.

I hit that point.

I ended up starting (and beating!) Tomb Raider instead.

I'm a strange person.

It's hard to get a handle on a game like Witness that has so little structure when modern games are so often the opposite and can condition you to expect to be led along a certain path, even in open world games. So far in the Witness the hardest thing for me is when I solve a series of puzzle and (seemingly) nothing happens. I have to keep telling myself that I don't think I did anything wrong, I just have to keep exploring.

It's hard to get a handle on a game like Witness that has so little structure when modern games are so often the opposite and can condition you to expect to be led along a certain path, even in open world games. So far in the Witness the hardest thing for me is when I solve a series of puzzle and (seemingly) nothing happens. I have to keep telling myself that I don't think I did anything wrong, I just have to keep exploring.

I haven't played it yet, but it seems like the best attitude would to have in a game like that is that it's all about solving puzzles first and if something happens to come from it then great. Otherwise, just keep looking for more puzzles to solve.

daveo42

Banned

For me sometimes it's just beating your head against a puzzle on concepts you already understand. Some of those color puzzles get rough when other factors are included.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

But the mind blowing stuff is how it teaches you things, and how you have those AHA moments.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That's kinda like saying "Oh, I will read this movies plot synopsys before somebody spoils it for me" though. There is no mindblowing stuff except the puzzles.

LiK

But the mind blowing stuff is how it teaches you things, and how you have those AHA moments.

I try for a while but if I don't get it, i'll just look it up. I did the same thing in Braid and it didn't take away my awe in the game design. I'm too impatient for these types of puzzle games.

That's kinda like saying "Oh, I will read this movies plot synopsys before somebody spoils it for me" though. There is no mindblowing stuff except the puzzles.

not even the same thing. not like I look up everything;. just enough to understand what the hell I'm looking at.

Brashnir

simple, hit it under 2km/s and not at a 90 degree angle

he basically bellyflopped into the atmosphere

Their first try would have been fine if they just clipped the upper atmosphere to slow themselves down over a few orbits. They had plenty of fuel to re-enter properly. Instead, they just aimed straight at the planet.

Though, to be fair, their Banzai Run straight at the Mun was pretty cool.

Bowlie

Banned

It's cooler if I solve the puzzles myself. I stopped playing it for half a week, completely stuck in three areas (their names are
desert, monastery and shady trees
). Today, I got back with a fresh mind I managed to finish all of them within minutes; it was an awesome feeling.

But I agree that it's better to search for answers than to be frustrated. If I still could not finish them I'd search for solutions too.

great!

Myggen

Weird question, but been wondering about this for a while: Anyone know what Steve Lin does for work? Jeff mentions him from time to time on the podcast when they talk about retro and arcade gaming, and listening to him on a recent Retronauts podcast he's obviously got an insane collection of old gaming hardware and software. Always been interested to know who that guy is.

LiK

Weird question, but been wondering about this for a while: Anyone know what Steve Lin does for work? Jeff mentions him from time to time on the podcast when they talk about retro and arcade gaming, and listening to him on a recent Retronauts podcast he's obviously got an insane collection of old gaming hardware and software. Always been interested to know who that guy is.

This guy

https://twitter.com/stevenplin

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
BEAST

There's that moment, after Jack explodes, where Vinny spins the camera around and you know there's just about one second of hope that he'll be alive somewhere in the debris

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
6IoPsRh.jpg

243 countries. /sigh

Your video can't be played in these countries: Afghanistan, Aland Islands, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Andorra, Angola, Anguilla, Antarctica, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bouvet Island, Brazil, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Congo - Democratic Republic of, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Faroe Islands, Fiji, Finland, France, French Guiana, French Polynesia, French Southern Territories, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Guernsey, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Heard Island and McDonald Islands, Holy See (Vatican City State), Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Isle of Man, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jersey, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Mexico, Micronesia - Federated States of, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norfolk Island, North Korea, Northern Mariana Islands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Pitcairn, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Reunion, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Helena, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tokelau, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna, West Bank, Western Sahara, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Disney please.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
no
Is this in-game music?
If you don't recognize the claimant, some game companies use agencies to manage their copyright policies.

I'd have to edit it manually and re-up. Pain in the balls.

This is what Brad mentioned on the Bombcast about the unique pacing of this game vs pretty much any other game in the past 5 years. The reward for solving a series of hard puzzles is... a series of even harder puzzles. It just comes at you so relentlessly that it can wear on you. But the revelations you get when you persevere are that much more joyous because of it.

The game did the right thing.
They cannot be tempted to taint the whole series with a mid run save!

Honestly, I think
they have everything they need to complete their mission. The last part doesn't require any retooling to their ship as far as I can tell, which is like 75% of the episodes so far. Unless they panic and start switching things around, they should have this done in an episode or 2.

Honestly, I think
they have everything they need to complete their mission. The last part doesn't require any retooling to their ship as far as I can tell, which is like 75% of the episodes so far. Unless they panic and start switching things around, they should have this done in an episode or 2.

You know they're going to save the kerbals in orbit still, right?

Honestly, I think

I agree
when it comes to the primary mission but they have a lot of Kerbals to rescue and that's a whole different ball of wax.

KingKong

This is what Brad mentioned on the Bombcast about the unique pacing of this game vs pretty much any other game in the past 5 years. The reward for solving a series of hard puzzles is... a series of even harder puzzles. It just comes at you so relentlessly that it can wear on you. But the revelations you get when you persevere are that much more joyous because of it.

I dont think thats true, the reward is
lighting the beam
. Most puzzle games are just a series of puzzles, does Talos Principle give more of a reward? Maybe Portal but thats a much more story driven game than most puzzlers

I find Project BEAST to be pretty boring because I am a dullard with a poor grasp of astro, quantum, and normal physics. They should play shitty DBZ games instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom