• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzyset

check the archives and Dan has won most of everything he's been a part of. Dan may be goofy but when it comes to games, dude is one of the best players.

Anything puzzle related especially. Check the UPFs where they play Puyo Puyo Tetris. He is just really good at picking out the patterns and executing.

Speaking of good players, did people comment on Mary Kish's Downwell playing (last?) week? It was incredible.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The rest of the bunch is almost anti-competitive, though. They actively dislike when someone gets too into it, it kind of sucks.

Speaking of good players, did people comment on Mary Kish's Downwell playing (last?) week? It was incredible.
I did. Can't beat that game for the life of me and she does it on a "bad run"...

LiK

The rest of the bunch is almost anti-competitive, though. They actively dislike when someone gets too into it, it kind of sucks.

I don't think they like losing on camera, tbh.

Windjammers is one of their most competitive games.

FluxWaveZ

Depends on the game. If it's something random like Mario Party, sure, but Jeff and Vinny have Windjammers. Austin is rather competitive in several games. Brad has Dota 2 and used to have SCII. Jason has fighting games. I'd say it's Drew that's not particularly competitive in a PvP sense in video content, but even he has Halo.

fuzzyset

I don't think they like losing on camera, tbh.

Windjammers is one of their most competitive games.

Has their been video of Jeff playing Blitz 99? I remember a Bombcast where Dan said he challenged Jeff to a game cause Dan thought he was "good" and Jeff won like 100-7 or something crazy like that. I wanna see that.

Haunted

Downwell's too fast for me, so I thought that was really, really impressive. One shot, on video, while talking. Good stuff.

Let's just say they're not the right address to go to for great competitive play and people really getting into it. Even their fighting game streams are kinda sedate in that sense.

They're more about riffing on the game and each other.

That said, there's the rare game that manages to do it, and that's always great fun. (Thanks, Gang Beasts!)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on the game. If it's something random like Mario Party, sure, but Jeff and Vinny have Windjammers. Austin is rather competitive in several games. Brad has Dota 2 and used to have SCII. Jason has fighting games. I'd say it's Drew that's not particularly competitive in a PvP sense in video content, but even he has Halo.
I mean between themselves. They barely do anything competitive on camera and have actively discouraged Dan, for example, to make something a competition. Windjammers is an exception, but even that is just a "whatever the result" kind of thing.
Something like the Patrick-Dan Mario Maker series would not have happened at GB.

edit: Ok, they did that Scrub League four years ago...

LiK

I mean between themselves. They barely do anything competitive on camera and have actively discouraged Dan, for example, to make something a competition. Windjammers is an exception, but even that is just a "whatever the result" kind of thing.
Something like the Patrick-Dan Mario Maker series would not have happened at GB.

yea man, i want a new Scrub League. the GB chat was pretty fun during it cuz people were all rooting for their guys. not really sure why they don't do another one.

demidar

Hey man, Mount Your Friends can get heated...

tchocky

yea man, i want a new Scrub League. the GB chat was pretty fun during it cuz people were all rooting for their guys. not really sure why they don't do another one.

Jeff has said that they don't have enough people who are of a comparable skill level.

popo

That Yarny game comes out next week as well. I thought that was a ways off.

They don't have enough scrubs any more. I doubt GS are want anything to do with that and the other people like engineering have jobs. Unless they rope their marketing neighbours in.

wasn't that the point of a scrub league?

if he used that as an excuse, SFV should fine for a Scrub League.

Back at Whiskey everyone essentially worked for Jeff. The engineers and other sites could goof off on his say so. Good luck getting random CBSi employees to abandon their work in enough numbers for a league.

Also, unlike whisky, these would be people you don't recognise, so what is the point?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
street fighter scrub league would be fun to watch i think
You could combine it with a feature like Jason teaching Drew some stuff, as he wanted to get into the genre for a bit with Rising Thunder. I just feel like those formats have so many possibilities and bring out the best/worst in people.

LiK

That Yarny game comes out next week as well. I thought that was a ways off.

They don't have enough scrubs any more. I doubt GS are want anything to do with that and the other people like engineering have jobs. Unless they rope their marketing neighbours in.

well, maybe just axe "scrub" and do a full on tourney then

Austin Walker's cyberpunk/anime/mech tabletop RPG podcast (Friends at the Table) just introduced an NPC character who is middle management at a massive quasi-Atlantean space empire named KENNETH VACATION.

K. VACATION set in motion a series of events that culminated in a spaceship/anime mech/exosuit deadly rumble at a holographic Space Beyonce concert.

This shit is THE BEST.

Austin Walker's cyberpunk/anime/mech tabletop RPG podcast (Friends at the Table) just introduced an NPC character who is middle management at a massive quasi-Atlantean space empire named KENNETH VACATION.

K. VACATION set in motion a series of events that culminated in a spaceship/anime mech/exosuit deadly rumble at a holographic Space Beyonce concert.

This shit is THE BEST.

I've been listening to The Adventure Zone since the first episode and I'm finally about to play DnD for the first time soon. Did character creation the other night and I'm super excited. I hope my DM can build a world like the one you just described and like the one in Adventure Zone. They're not just generic fantasy worlds, they have their own little twists to them.

I've been listening to The Adventure Zone since the first episode and I'm finally about to play DnD for the first time soon. Did character creation the other night and I'm super excited. I hope my DM can build a world like the one you just described and like the one in Adventure Zone. They're not just generic fantasy worlds, they have their own little twists to them.

make sure you take Zone of Truth

Noaloha

New live feature, just Dan and Jason, SF5, first to five wins, 1 hour stream every monday (fresh after weekend practice).

Or, fortnightly, invite someone in from the FGC, someone godlike, gather everyone on the couch, winner stays on.

Jabronium

This shit is THE BEST.

I just started the Counter/WEIGHT season of FatT and I'm loving it so far. Coupled with the Fiasco Beastcast, really makes me thirsty for some ongoing GBeast Unplugged content.

LiK

New live feature, just Dan and Jason, SF5, first to five wins, 1 hour stream every monday (fresh after weekend practice).

Or, fortnightly, invite someone in from the FGC, someone godlike, gather everyone on the couch, winner stays on.

Dan will win. Sorry Jason.

One of the many things that works about The Adventure Zone and Friends at the Table is that that the players and DM are cooperative in telling a fun/awesome story as their first priority. Sometimes, tabletop stuff goes a little too heavily into the area of the DM trying to railroad the players story-wise or fight-wise.

Adventure Zone is hilarious with a few heartfelt moments (most obviously in the Petal to the Metal arc) while I get chills like 5 times per episode in Friends at the Table. Because they aren't going for comedy as the first pillar, he creates these amazing NPCs (every single character has a name and motivation, which makes me feel bad every time an antagonist goes away) and the stakes are always insane.

popo

well, maybe just axe "scrub" and do a full on tourney then

Could work. However, based on experience, what do you think the chances of GB being able to put that together are? Organisation in not their strongest suit. Perhaps it is something they could do on the next BLLSL.

LiK

Could work. However, based on experience, what do you think the chances of GB being able to put that together are? Organisation in not their strongest suit. Perhaps it is something they could do on the next BLLSL.

doesn't need to be elaborate. just have a simple bracket on whiteboard and go from there. just for fun unless they wanna put out a dumb prize for it.

I just started the Counter/WEIGHT season of FatT and I'm loving it so far. Coupled with the Fiasco Beastcast, really makes me thirsty for some ongoing GBeast Unplugged content.

For the Counter/WEIGHT season, be ready for the game to shift systems that it uses after 9-ish episodes. Austin translates things to a future version of the Apocalypse/Dungeon World system, citing that MechNoir ended up not fully fitting what he wanted to do.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, great idea. They got like half of the prominent US FGC and the Capcom HQ at their doorstep, too. They could do some cool stuff.

Dan will win. Sorry Jason.
Nah, not in Street Fighter.

popo

doesn't need to be elaborate. just have a simple bracket on whiteboard and go from there. just for fun unless they wanna put out a dumb prize for it.

More wrangling enough people together, easy once you get everyone to turn up.

Gurrry

Has their been video of Jeff playing Blitz 99? I remember a Bombcast where Dan said he challenged Jeff to a game cause Dan thought he was "good" and Jeff won like 100-7 or something crazy like that. I wanna see that.

Hes said before that he only likes to play on the actual cabinet... not sure how they would broadcast a feed from that. They could gopro the screen like they used to do back in the day.. but I dont think thats ideal. But I agree, I wanna see jeff play some blitz.

Also - I want them to do a power bombcast every month. I subbed for the first time because they finally released another one this month after the Rumble.

Jabronium

For the Counter/WEIGHT season, be ready for the game to shift systems that it uses after 9-ish episodes. Austin translates things to a future version of the Apocalypse/Dungeon World system, citing that MechNoir ended up not fully fitting what he wanted to do.

Ah, hmm. I'm on the second episode with the faction stuff (binged on quite a few eps while traveling over the weekend), and while that stuff is a little tough for me to keep straight, I loved the Mech Noir stuff so far. This one definitely grabbed me more than season 1.

Ah, hmm. I'm on the second episode with the faction stuff (binged on quite a few eps while traveling over the weekend), and while that stuff is a little tough for me to keep straight, I loved the Mech Noir stuff so far. This one definitely grabbed me more than season 1.

So far, the transition seems to have worked pretty well. The contacts are still there and important, the characters and their traits/items/ships are still there, and the universe is the same. It's mostly going back to that "roll 2d6+x" system that bends the narrative depending on whether someone got a 1-6, 7-9, or 10+.

sprinkles

"God damn fucking hang glider!" is not what I expected to hear while watching a fighting game Quick Look. The Anime is strong in that one, game looks fun though.

TraBuch

Banned
Fight Night Champion is on sale for $4. Such a damn good game. NBA 2K16 should've taken notes if they really wanted to do a story mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom