• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with soliciting anime recommendations from the internet is that the internet is terrible at recommending anime. Most of the stuff you're going to get is either A) poorly tailored to the person looking for the recommendation or B) outright bad, but has a huge fanbase (Death Note, Attack on Titan, Code Geass etc.).

Like, there are certain shows I love that I know better to recommend to someone like Jeff. Gintama isn't a show that's going to work for him at all since a large portion of what makes that show works is it riffing on years of shonen and anime history. If you don't have that frame of reference, the subversive parts are going to miss. I also know better than to recommend Mushi-shi, Monster or From the New World. Both are great, but clearly not what he's after.

Given what he wants, he should totally be looking at stuff like Bubblegum Crisis, Go Nagi's stuff, maybe some Fist of the North Star (series is probably too long for what he's after, though). GunBuster would be a great thing to look at as well. JoJo gets a bit too much of a push sometimes, but it's fantastic and the very definition of what he's after.

Cowboy Bebop shows up a bit too often in suggestions, but it's there for a reason. It's still one of the greatest pieces of TV I've ever seen. Given that Jeff is looking for that 80s aesthetic, though, I probably wouldn't put it on my list of for him.

Bruh

YuYuHakusho would be perfect for him. Jeff likes ghosts, right?

yami4ct

Bruh

YuYuHakusho would be perfect for him. Jeff likes ghosts, right?

YuYu is amazing and a goddamn treasure. Like FotNS, though, it might be a bit too long for what he's looking for. It's 100% the atheistic and style he's after, though. It came after the era of stuff he's looking at, but the series is Togashi riffing on those works and creating something awesome out of it.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a show that's from the same atheistic era he's looking for as well, but coming at it from a different angle. I assume he's talking more of the Shonen/Seinen style of the 80s and not the Magical Girl/Shoujo stuff that grew out of series like Sailor Moon. It still is a hugely influential look and I would absolutely recommend him checking out that show. It'll either be the worst thing ever for him or he'd really love it.

yami4ct

Jeff should just watch Mobile Suit Gundam and then we can have a Gundam podcast with Vinny, Austin and Jeff.

The original MSG looks so bad, though, and the series is paced awfully. The movies aren't really a great workaround either. This is why we need a proper adaptation of The Origin.

daydream

Banned
man, invisible inc. is definitely a best styyyle contender this year, game is super slick

also, after the shank games, who'd have expected the stealth genre to be the space where klei really starts to shine and blossom

Speaking of Mary Kish, she has a Let's Play series on YouTube focusing on Indie Games that does not seem to be getting many views. Most vids are under 500 views :/

10 Hours of Mary

Go watch Mary!

coolio, didn't know she was doing this

Myggen

Your daily reminder that anime is for jerks.

5EWEoEN.gif

Against better judgement, I recommend One Outs. Typically I suggest sports themed anime to anybody new to it. But unlike typical baseball anime about, you know, teamwork and playing well, One Out is about gambling and mind games.

JCG

The problem with soliciting anime recommendations from the internet is that the internet is terrible at recommending anime. Most of the stuff you're going to get is either A) poorly tailored to the person looking for the recommendation or B) outright bad, but has a huge fanbase (Death Note, Attack on Titan, Code Geass etc.).

You're never going to remove human subjectivity and different tastes from the equation. Which is why the line between A and B is always open to debate.

For example, I would not want to fall on my sword over Attack on Titan, but I don't think it's outright bad at all. The pacing in the anime adaptation does suffer from being awkwardly slow at times and I am not a big fan of the director, but there are legitimate reasons behind why the show (and the manga that spawned it) remains so popular.

Or take something like Bubblegum Crisis. It's unfinished and the writing isn't even that good (to say the least), but it's quite enjoyable as an animation and musical showcase. Don't get me started on Fist of the North Star's terrible filler as well as the plot holes found throughout the main story. In both cases, such issues might tend to ruin the whole thing for some people, of course, yet certainly not for everyone. They're both worth watching to understand that era of anime and its influence, but beyond that...personal appeal isn't guaranteed. As a result, any recommendations definitely need to be tailored towards each viewer's preferences. Knowing what a given person might be looking for and what kind of pet-peeves will bother them (or not) is rather essential.

The original MSG looks so bad, though, and the series is paced awfully. The movies aren't really a great workaround either. This is why we need a proper adaptation of The Origin.

As long as you can deal with very old animation, I think the Gundam movie trilogy works just fine as a replacement for the TV series. It's still long, but easier to handle. Naturally, it would definitely be better to just have a full remake, almost like with Yamato 2199, that updates both the visuals and the story..

danm999

Euro Fishing Quick Look is amazing. Favourite Quick Look of the year is tough.

I think maybe Poly Bridge. Or Contradiction. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Shit you know what I really want in 2016? More of those Dan/Drew awful horror game Quick Looks during the slow January/February season.

yami4ct

You're never going to remove human subjectivity and different tastes from the equation. Which is why the line between A and B is always open to debate.

For example, I would not want to fall on my sword over Attack on Titan, but I don't think it's outright bad at all. The pacing in the anime adaptation does suffer from being awkwardly slow at times and I am not a big fan of the director, but there are legitimate reasons behind why the show (and the manga that spawned it) remains so popular.

Or take something like Bubblegum Crisis. It's unfinished and the writing isn't even that good (to say the least), but it's quite enjoyable as an animation and musical showcase. Don't get me started on Fist of the North Star's terrible filler as well as the plot holes found throughout the main story. In both cases, such issues might tend to ruin the whole thing for some people, of course, yet certainly not for everyone.

As a result, any recommendations definitely need to be tailored towards each viewer's preferences. Knowing what a given person might be looking for and what kind of pet-peeves will bother them (or not) is rather essential.

I totally agree there's a ton of subjectivity. My point is you get someone asking for something in the 80's style, you clearly shouldn't be screaming Cowboy Bebop at them, but that's gonna happen regardless. I wouldn't recommend FotNS or Bubblegum Crisis to everyone for the reasons you've stated, but in this specific case I think they both fit exactly what Jeff is asking for.

I still think AoT is utter trash aside from a few action scenes here and there, but that's another discussion.

Legitimately had to check whether I was in the Giant Bomb thread

I can't imagine Jeff would watch an entire anime show, even with just 23-26 episodes, but he'd probably like Sword of the Stranger and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

FluxWaveZ

The Dan/Drew horror QLs are always great. Countless Rooms of Death especially.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but they were just about how many creative ways they could bag on the game, and that just wasn't fun for me. Really just boring.

Another one I really liked, though, was Blackbay Asylum.

Myggen

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but they were just about how many creative ways they could bag on the game, and that just wasn't fun for me. Really just boring.

Another one I really liked, though, was Blackbay Asylum.

Making fun of shitty Steam games in creative ways will always be funny to me. The Blackbay Asylum QL was good too.

I'd recommend Barefoot Gen as well for Jeff. It's fucked up but great.

barefoot-gen-gif.gif

Apparently there's a sequel but I never saw it.

Legitimately had to check whether I was in the Giant Bomb thread

I can't imagine Jeff would watch an entire anime show, even with just 23-26 episodes, but he'd probably like Sword of the Stranger and Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

Yeah, probably. These old anime movie classics like Ninja Scroll, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, FOTNS.etc

JCG

I totally agree there's a ton of subjectivity. My point is you get someone asking for something in the 80's style, you clearly shouldn't be screaming Cowboy Bebop at them, but that's gonna happen regardless. I wouldn't recommend FotNS or Bubblegum Crisis to everyone for the reasons you've stated, but in this specific case I think they both fit exactly what Jeff is asking for.

Yes, I wasn't really disagreeing with your conclusion. Unfortunately, it's not like Cowboy Bebop had much of a lasting impact in terms of shaping the anime industry's creative output and particularly not the Japanese gaming side of things either. The 1980s were working off a totally different paradigm which produced a lot of good and a lot of bad.

I still think AoT is utter trash aside from a few action scenes here and there, but that's another discussion.

Fair enough. Either way, it's not that relevant to the thread.

FluxWaveZ

Think it's too late to make a good Cowboy Bebop game?

Doesn't have to be based on the IP; I'm still waiting for someone to make a good space bounty hunter game. Possibly gathering a posse ala Mass Effect 2.

I think Prey 2 was supposed to be some of that, but obviously the world thinks we're not ready.

yami4ct

Think it's too late to make a good Cowboy Bebop game?

So much of what makes Bebop good is how the action flows with the music and the pacing of an episode. It'd be near impossible to do that outside of maybe an adventure game, but even then I think you'd lose a lot.

So much of what makes Bebop good is how the action flows with the music and the pacing of an episode. It'd be near impossible to do that outside of maybe an adventure game, but even then I think you'd lose a lot.

I think a CC2 Cowboy Bebop game would work well in that regard. It all depends on your toleration of QTE's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom