• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zornack

Alright, last-minute bets: does Witcher 3 make the top 10?

Not a chance. There are too many great games this year for a game that not one of them beat and that all of them have large issues with to make the top 10.

I could have sworn that was the case. I remember a year where there was just a list of runners up and then the GOTY. Huh.

Actually, yeah, that's what it was. Best game and a bunch of runners up. http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bomb-s-2014-game-of-the-year-awards-day-five/1100-5126/

They ordered them in the podcast.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Arguing over Top 10 order is sort of GiantBomb's whole thing. They haven't ditched it yet, and I doubt they ever will. The bottom half of the list always feels a bit random, but they always rank.

I could have sworn that was the case. I remember a year where there was just a list of runners up and then the GOTY. Huh.

Actually, yeah, that's what it was. Best game and a bunch of runners-up: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bomb-s-2014-game-of-the-year-awards-day-five/1100-5126/

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Picked up Syndicate. Really like how quickly that game starts compared to some other AC games.

-xXmnig0OqsfDqcRck7aD78ZUBDZaMOhZH3rbe0X8r4aBdiNowqfssj-WlzDMOlt3-_E5sQByKpOQeUUbEnvGsZsVlGXV58X2_A4en3xNBqNELiYpq3l6vPYsINlusjm1Fm_MXFZDg5aqCJ2neYJSjs=w360-h252-nc

daydream

Banned
Look man goty is still like 14 hours away.

When's the goty thread coming up BTW?

Ask daydream, he's making it. Probably about an hour before the first content goes live?

My problem with anime fans is that any time anime is discussed the discussion seems to go on for about 10 pages at a minimum.

answered this earlier, brehs

ren and i are working on it right now, actually, and it should be ready to ship very soon. will post it as soon as it's done, in fact

ideally, a couple hours before the madness starts

it's not quite ready, yet, but it will be

justjim89

The same part of Brad that got Skyrim to (rightfully) go over Saint's Row will get Witcher 3 on the list over something silly like Contradiction.

Myggen

Actually, yeah, that's what it was. Best game and a bunch of runners-up: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-bomb-s-2014-game-of-the-year-awards-day-five/1100-5126/

That was just a weird way to format the list. The order they're posted there is the order they ranked them on the podcast, it's just that they for some reason didn't number them in that write-up.

answered this earlier, brehs

ren and i are working on it right now, actually, and it should be ready to ship very soon. will post it as soon as it's done, in fact

Cool.

Bacon

Hearthstone might be the weirdest thing on the list from last year now that Iook at it. Alex was literally the only one who had any interest in that game and it's Giant Bomb's 5th best game from 2014

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hearthstone might be the weirdest thing on the list from last year now that Iook at it. Alex was literally the only one who had any interest in that game and it's Giant Bomb's 5th best game from 2014

I mean, Jeff gets at least one of these every year, so...

yami4ct

I don't think Contradiction will make the main list, but will instead dominate all the ancillary categories.

Did anyone in GBWest even check it out? I know it's a fan favorite, but I highly doubt it gets more than 1-2 wins if any. I can see it hanging in Best Character and maybe Best Debut, but I highly doubt we'll see more than that.

Lijik

thats the power of an alex free from the shackles of skype call.

splatoon goty 2015.

yami4ct

I find it interesting to see everyone thinking Fallout 4 is going to be deep into the bottom half of the list. I don't necessarily disagree, I just expected more pushback.

thats the power of an alex free from the shackles of skype call.

splatoon goty 2015.

This man knows where it's at. Splatoon deserves Top 5 if not outright GOTY.

Giant Bomb mass appeal GotY shortlist:
  • Destiny
  • MGSV
  • Mario Maker
  • Fallout 4
  • Bloodborne
  • Rocket League
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Splatoon
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Her Story
  • Axiom Verge
  • Halo 5
  • Undertale

Cut a few and jumble it around some and the GotY list is right here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm kinda more interested to see if undertale gets any mentions.

Austin loves it. Dan likes it. Jeff eh on it. Dunno what other people think though.

I'm kinda more interested to see if undertale gets any mentions.

Austin loves it. Dan likes it. Jeff eh on it. Dunno what other people think though.

It's going to be interesting -- I can see Jeff and maybe Brad giving it some pretty hard pushback (Brad mostly just out of fatigue from people talking about it).

Joeku

Giant Bomb mass appeal GotY shortlist:
  • Destiny
  • MGSV
  • Mario Maker
  • Fallout 4
  • Bloodborne
  • Rocket League
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Splatoon
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Her Story
  • Axiom Verge
  • Halo 5
  • Undertale

Cut a few and jumble it around some and the GotY list is right here.

Eh, sure. Any weird phone stuff gonna make it on this year? Lifeline was cool for a few days there back in May(?). Pac-Man 256 maybe with some love?

yami4ct

I really want to see Austin pull something really weird out and push it onto the list this year. I know the last Gundam Vs game was last year, but I'd love to see a push for something of that level of niche.

Quick someone make an avatar bet with me.

Destiny will be on the list

We talking main Top 10? If so, I'll bet my any against it. I'm almost certain it'll get DQed even with a Brad filibuster. What stakes we going with?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see Axiom Verge, Halo 5 or Assassin's Creed making the top ten, surely?

Lijik

I dont see anyone being passionate enough about axiom verge for it to break the top ten. I get the vibe its gonna wind up like wolfenstein and get cut to make way for someones pet game if it even gets that far

StoveOven

Banned
I dont see anyone being passionate enough about axiom verge for it to break the top ten. I get the vibe its gonna wind up like wolfenstein and get cut to make way for someones pet game.

I agree, except for the fact that the one person that would be passionate for it is Jeff

Where Axiom Verge and Ori place interests me. Both got top marks, but seldom mentioned since launch.

Until Dawn has a better shot than a number of those listed.

yami4ct

I dont see anyone being passionate enough about axiom verge for it to break the top ten. I get the vibe its gonna wind up like wolfenstein and get cut to make way for someones pet game if it even gets that far

Jeff gave that game a perfect score. Don't underestimate it.

justjim89

-Undertale will get Best Story

-Jenks or Paul Rand will be Best New Character

-The quarantine platform mission in MGSV will win Best Moment or Sequence

-Arkham Knight will get Hottest Mess

-Hotline Miami 2 will win Most Disappointing

-Witcher 3 or Tomb Raider will get Best Looking

What are y'all's picks for the smaller categories?

I really want to see Austin pull something really weird out and push it onto the list this year. I know the last Gundam Vs game was last year, but I'd love to see a push for something of that level of niche.

We talking main Top 10? If so, I'll bet my any against it. I'm almost certain it'll get DQed even with a Brad filibuster. What stakes we going with?

i didn't see this post, i will also bet you. not sure on stakes, what's the worst anime or wrestling image that can be turned into a legitable avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom