• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
FCyLq7q.png

This year's game of the year is brought to you by CrunchyRoll

yami4ct

They'll make a new category for witcher, "Best Game we didn't finish".

Though I can't really think of other games that would be in said category.

How bout 'Game the Community won't Shut the Hell Up About'

Life is Strange, Tales from the Borderlands, Witcher 3 and Undertale all could win that.

I love 3 of those games as well. Part of the problem

Joeku

Life is Strange, Tales from the Borderlands, Witcher 3 and Undertale all could win that.

They owe us playing and talking about what we want. Fuckers with their predilections.

Insert that "We fucking made you, we can unmake you" post from the Rooster Teeth topic.

yami4ct

Presented by Rick and Morty.

As a member of a few Vocal Fanbases, Vocal Fanbases are the worst. I don't need to hear about Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman anymore, thank you very much.

Now, let me tell you abut a little comic called Transformers: More than Meets the Eye.

danm999

As a member of a few Vocal Fanbases, Vocal Fanbases are the worst. I don't need to hear about Rick and Morty or Bojack Horseman anymore, thank you very much.

Now, let me tell you abut a little comic called Transformers: More than Meets the Eye.

Those shows are great. And I get it, people want validation from people they like and respect, I get it.

But once they let go and take Dan's advice about liking what you like and not worrying about what others think, it's a weight off.

Joeku

Now why would someone want to subject themselves to having to live in England?

I really want to spend a night awake sitting in a tall chair, wearing a silk robe, sipping scotch between slowly puffing a cigar and staring into a fireplace, then move to the porch as the fire turns to embers to be replaced by the dawning sun backlighting a low, rolling fog.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I really want to spend a night awake sitting in a tall chair, wearing a silk robe, sipping scotch between slowly puffing a cigar and staring into a fireplace, then move to the porch as the fire turns to embers to be replaced by the dawning sun backlighting a low, rolling fog.

More or less. Having a tiny fenced in garden that I care far too much about is also appealing

yami4ct

Those shows are great. And I get it, people want validation from people they like and respect, I get it.

But once they let go and take Dan's advice about liking what you like and not worrying about what others think, it's a weight off.

I think a lot of that comes from people liking a thing that's small enough to be niche and wanting to spread that thing, but also large enough that everyone pushing it gets annoying. This stage only really happens with shit that actually blows up like Rick and Morty, Life is Strange, and Undertale.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You can do that in Norway and not have to subject yourself to Englishmen.

yami4ct

As someone who lives in a rural house that relies mainly on a wood burning stove for heat, tending a fire fucking sucks. Fireplaces and the like are overrated.

Joeku

Fireplaces are great. I rarely tend it myself, but damn, do I ever want to also crumple something up and throw it into the fire dramatically.

Zaph

The amount of pages gone through overnight can only mean one thing - you guys animed yourselves again, didn't ya?

The personal top 10 videos were great, it was good having the guys talking directly to the audience on camera about the games they love. The text only format is severely lacking and boring.
I believe they used to borrow other WM video editors to get all that done in the past, which isn't really possible anymore.

Antiwhippy

The final boss of Black Closet was... fucking weird.

Still, I'd recommend it if you like detective casework, conspiracies, persona-style management sims, and girl love. Also if you would like to play as a black female protagonist, thought it's a bit on the nose about the whole thing. Like, one of the college choices is going to a historically black liberal arts all-female college. No need to play it up so much game! Elsa Jackson is pretty cool though.

justjim89

I'm gonna guess Witcher 3 makes it on. They all played it, all but Jeff liked it, and even he hasn't gone back since the major patches so he might recuse himself from that.

I don't necessarily think they'd let a community pushing it on them to play more would make them punish the game itself.

Could be wrong of course.

You seem to severely underestimate just how straining and irritating it must be for people who cover games professionally to be expected to complete one of the major releases of the year.

They have, like, shit to do.

Antiwhippy

If it didn't grab them it didn't grab them.

They whole premise of giantbomb started as they'll only cover the games they want instead of being a site that tries to cover everything ala gamespot.

yami4ct

If it didn't grab them it didn't grab them.

They whole premise of giantbomb started as they'll only cover the games they want instead of being a site that tries to cover everything ala gamespot.

Also this year had like 4-5 major reales that were all 80 hours+. You can't expect every single crew member to beat all of them. You can argue they prioritized the wrong ones, but as you said GB was founded on them playing what they wanted to.

Jintor

tbh the ability to grab someone is also one way i think about a game's... not quality, exactly, but its characteristics

like if something grabs brad i know it's a soul-sucking addictive monster of a game i should never look at lest my wallet disappear from reality

Antiwhippy

Hell, if you want games that I personally feel should have more coverage on giantbomb but doesn't get any I bet I have a longer list than most do here.

tbh the ability to grab someone is also one way i think about a game's... not quality, exactly, but its characteristics

like if something grabs brad i know it's a soul-sucking addictive monster of a game i should never look at lest my wallet disappear from reality

Agreed. I put 185 hours into Pokemon Shuffle. It's the most time I've put into a game in years. I also hate Pokemon Shuffle.

Honestly though, nothing's worse than watching/listening someone play through something they don't care for. The QL format is excluded for obvious reasons.

As bad as I want a new power bombcast, if none of them have really been keeping up with any wrestling, then we don't need a new one of them beating the same drum about how bad WWE is atm.

yami4ct

Hell, if you want games that I personally feel should have more coverage on giantbomb but doesn't get any I bet I have a longer list than most do here.

Yup. I expect almost half of my GOTY list this year to be stuff that has gotten little to no coverage on GB and won't even get mentioned during their GOTY discussion. Do I wish they covered that stuff? Sure, but it is the way it is.

That would involve the Bomb Duders giving one an award for not winning an award.

The amount of pages gone through overnight can only mean one thing - you guys animed yourselves again, didn't ya?

I believe they used to borrow other WM video editors to get all that done in the past, which isn't really possible anymore.

Their video theme this year is anime.*

Kaizer

Banned
Random question, but does anyone remember the bombcast where the duders end up in like an hour-long conversation about a dystopian future/cybernetic limb enhancements or something of that nature? I think it was from 2013 but I don't remember the date.

danm999

Yup. I expect almost half of my GOTY list this year to be stuff that has gotten little to no coverage on GB and won't even get mentioned during their GOTY discussion. Do I wish they covered that stuff? Sure, but it is the way it is.

Yeah pretty much where I am at. I still enjoy their coverage even if I have very different tastes to many on the crew. My taste mostly lines up with Austin and Vinny's I've found.

Actually Austin with his love for RPGs and strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 is eerily close to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom