• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy-4U

Man, I feel like a complete idiot.

For the past few days I've been trying to download old delisted gamespot videos using the internet archive. Today, I decided to check gamespot just in case and, lo and behold, the entire friggin' catalog is in there. When did they upload all that stuff? They weren't there last year I think...

Whatever, finally I'll be able to rewatch on the spot (Gerstmann era).

Man, I feel like a complete idiot.

For the past few days I've been trying to download old delisted gamespot videos using the internet archive. Today, I decided to check gamespot just in case and, lo and behold, the entire friggin' catalog is in there. When did they upload all that stuff? They weren't there last year I think...

Whatever, finally I'll be able to rewatch on the spot (Gerstmann era).

Gallup era is best On The Spot era.

Joeku

I'm stuck on what I think is the last boss of Undertale.
Asgore is tough. I've no healing items and don't want to go back for 'em, and working towards mercy is definitely not an option in this fight. In all the canisters, only one heart is missing: Toriel's, I assume. I didn't know about how this game plays hard at that point. :(

Metal Gear Solid Rising still dominating that top spot.

Fucking right it fucking is.

yami4ct

Just got to Part 3 in Yakuza 4. Game is so good. What a turnaround from Yakuza 3. New protagonists are such a breath of fresh air.

Asgore is tough. I've no healing items and don't want to go back for 'em, and working towards mercy is definitely not an option in this fight. In all the canisters, only one heart is missing: Toriel's, I assume. I didn't know about how this game plays hard at that point. :(

You can't mercy Ashore. The talk options will debuff him after you use them twice I think but do nothing from there. After that, you just are stuck attacking and doing the dodge mini game until he dies. That fight really sucks, especially if you've gone full pacifist and have no boost to your attack or HP. Also, pretty sure that last heart canister is for your soul. The game basically says he's going to user your soul to break the barrier and the red color of your heart completes the rainbow pattern.

Jintor

You can make it a little easier on yourself.
Talking to him will reduce his stats after you die to him a couple of times. Otherwise just go back and get some healing items, srsly

Joeku

You can make it a little easier on yourself.
Talking to him will reduce his stats after you die to him a couple of times. Otherwise just go back and get some healing items, srsly

Yeah, I thought it was cute that
talking to him seems to produce a more regretful response from him as I go. I think I got up to six before I called it for the night, I think? I have several hundred g. I guess I'll go back for some items.

Tomorrow.

Edit: In short, I guess I could summarize my opinion of Undertale as "I thought it was cute that [X], repeat x100". Game is charming as hell.

It wasn't anime, and then around two-thirds through the character beats became pretty goddamn anime.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I thought it was cute that
talking to him seems to produce a more regretful response from him as I go. I think I got up to six before I called it for the night, I think? I have several hundred g. I guess I'll go back for some items.

Tomorrow.

Edit: In short, I guess I could summarize my opinion of Undertale as "I thought it was cute that [X], repeat x100". Game is charming as hell.

It wasn't anime, and then around two-thirds through the character beats became pretty goddamn anime.

Oh trust me.

It gets even more anime.

Asgore is just the start.

Joeku

Oh trust me.

It gets even more anime.

Asgore is just the start.

giphy.gif

(no spoilers)
I hate myself for posting this.

danm999

Since we're in a top ten mood here, and since I'm stuck waiting for a flight for the next hour and a half, I've decided to compile my favourite Giant Bomb moments of 2015.

10) I've heard that about you. So good it inspired our current thread.

9) Dan serves Jeff, Dave Lang and the Gooch Yellow Russians. President Obama watches on in mute horror.

8) Jeffrey Gerstmann gives the 2015 Destiny State of the Union address. Jeff is not even mad anymore. He's just disappointed.

7) It was not the approach I was necessarily looking for. Alex and Austin debrief on the Ghost Recon Wildlands E3 presentation, and what they were and weren't looking for.

6) See, y'all in your college classes are thinking one way.

5) Robo Vinny. But I wish he'd keep his politics out of video games. Robots don't have rights.

4) Please tell me you're still recording That Austin laugh. Arguably the best moment of the best piece of GB East content this year.

3) Demo Derby: Official PlayStation Magazine: Issue 85. Arguably the best Premium feature on the site, this one was the best of the year. Best content starts at 1:57:30. Hearing Drew break at the prospect of watching another dozen cringy audition videos is something else.

2) Turn 49 of Mario Party Part 5. Fall of Dan Ryckert. Rise of Drew Scanlon. Coronation of Brad Kingmaker.

1) Did you fucking tweet my phone number? If for whatever reason you haven't watched this entire thing, do it, starting here. It's everything that epitomises Giant Bomb for me. Drinking, chaos, beautiful messes, Jeff cackling like a madman on the sidelines at the situation he has managed to capture on camera. Just perfection.

Cheers to Myggen and xpantherx for making some of the harder to find stuff accessible.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Undertale's story starts cute as hell, gets really boring and only turns up the fun again in the last hour or so when it goes FULL ANIME. You can't say it doesn't commit.

The inbetween part (whatever I still think the middle parts are rad) is what helps set up the full on anime though.

I'm not going to lie, part of why I love it is because it's so fucking anime.

Renpatsu

1) Did you fucking tweet my phone number? If for whatever reason you haven't watched this entire thing, do it, starting here. It's everything that epitomises Giant Bomb for me. Drinking, chaos, beautiful messes, Jeff cackling like a madman on the sidelines at the situation he has managed to capture on camera. Just perfection.
Every time I watch this my cheeks hurt from simultaneously laughing and cringing at the disaster that is unfolding.

MNC

Since we're in a top ten mood here, and since I'm stuck waiting for a flight for the next hour and a half, I've decided to compile my favourite Giant Bomb moments of 2015.

10) I've heard that about you. So good it inspired our current thread.

9) Dan serves Jeff, Dave Lang and the Gooch Yellow Russians. President Obama watches on in mute horror.

8) Jeffrey Gerstmann gives the 2015 Destiny State of the Union address. Jeff is not even mad anymore. He's just disappointed.

7) It was not the approach I was necessarily looking for. Alex and Austin debrief on the Ghost Recon Wildlands E3 presentation, and what they were and weren't looking for.

6) See, y'all in your college classes are thinking one way.

5) Robo Vinny. But I wish he'd keep his politics out of video games. Robots don't have rights.

4) Please tell me you're still recording That Austin laugh. Arguably the best moment of the best piece of GB East content this year.

3) Demo Derby: Official PlayStation Magazine: Issue 85. Arguably the best Premium feature on the site, this one was the best of the year. Best content starts at 1:57:30. Hearing Drew break at the prospect of watching another dozen cringy audition videos is something else.

2) Turn 49 of Mario Party Part 5. Fall of Dan Ryckert. Rise of Drew Scanlon. Coronation of Brad Kingmaker.

Cheers to Myggen and xpantherx for making some of the harder to find stuff accessible.

Ah this is great. So many good moments. The Yellow Russian is new to me.

Ahahaha, drunk Johnny Vignocchi is fucking amazing.

That's a damn solid list.

Late, but I'm just catching up on the last Beastcast. I think they just confirmed they will need to do a roleplaying podcast or video series. Only about halfway through and this is great.

Xater

Late, but I'm just catching up on the last Beastcast. I think they just confirmed they will need to do a roleplaying podcast or video series. Only about halfway through and this is great.

They now have Austin someone who is actually good at being a DM unlike Rorie. I don't know if Austin has Goblin Quest but that would be another good o e to play with the East Crew. Everyone plays a couple of Goblins doing the most banal task and dying horrible deaths while doing them. It's great fun. The rules also include a variant called Shean Bean Quest.

danm999

Having listened to some Friends at the Table over the holiday break it would strike me as crazy if they didn't try to utilize Austin to run some Giant Bomb role playing games in the future.

at least do more one-shots. that fiasco game was dope

Yeah, I could see Austin maybe not wanting to try and keep up 2 big narratives at the same time so a lot of one-shots like this for the time being would be great. Also it could be good for the other guys to get more used to the playstyle. The more crazy shit they're dropped into the improv the better.

Xater

at least do more one-shots. that fiasco game was dope

Goblin Quest would also be a one and done thing.

Plus perfect for dumb Viny improv. I have heard of games where Goblins broke their necks trying to crack the eggs to do make an omelette.

Jintor

remember when he climbed a tree? imagine what he could do in a *world system or more improv games!

hell let's just ask them to play whose line

Ohnonono

Got a PS4 and for the first time in a LONG time I am not just a portable gamer! Played a shit ton of Shadows of Mordor. A bit behind on the times but man what a rad game. At 33 with a young son I never thought I would play games for hours in a row on a big TV again but Christmas Miracles and all.

M.D

I went back and listened to their day five GOTY 2013 podcast and I find it crazy that Jeff disliked The Last of Us so much for its gameplay despite feeling so strongly about the intro, yet he picked Bioshock: Infinite as his number 1

He's entitled to his opinion but I don't think Infinite plays that great so I found it weird he liked it so much with its gameplay, especially because he seems to really like first person shooters

I'm just really interested in his opinion about if he finished it

I went back and listened to their day five GOTY 2013 podcast and I find it crazy that Jeff disliked The Last of Us so much for its gameplay despite feeling so strongly about the intro, yet he picked Bioshock: Infinite as his number 1

He's entitled to his opinion but I don't think Infinite plays that great so I found it weird he liked it so much with its gameplay, especially because he seems to really like first person shooters

Doesn't he also not really care for the gameplay of Uncharted? I have the same issue. I absolutely dislike the Uncharted games, but as much as I didn't care for the gameplay of The last of us, the story and the whole package made me enjoy it. With Jeff caring more about gameplay than anything else I could see him really hating it.

danm999

Jeff tends to like fast paced first person shooters (and Bioshock is that, sometimes to its detriment in terms of the fast paced) and dislike slower third person stuff. IIRC he doesn't really like Uncharted either.

It's not shocking he'd side with Infinite over TLOU.

Nero18

Doesn't he also not really care for the gameplay of Uncharted? I have the same issue. I absolutely dislike the Uncharted games, but as much as I didn't care for the gameplay of The last of us, the story and the whole package made me enjoy it. With Jeff caring more about gameplay than anything else I could see him really hating it.

Probably one of those games that just either grabs the gamer or loses them completely. I absolutely loved it and wished more games went in the same direction with combat. Also, that games release was really strange for press people generally and GB specifically.

Tubobutts

actually they should play paranoia. i've been dying to hear that played.

From what I read about it that could be cool. I want them to play either Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay because I've never had a chance to and I want to see how long it takes until someone tries to cast a spell and has their genitals run away screaming, or Rogue Trader because I think being a rogue trader is Vinny's natural calling.

I always thought The Last of Us played fantastically. Trying to stealth around clickers could be a pain in the ass but The Shooting Is Good.

One of the more bizarre picks for GOTY though. Nobody ever seemed that in love with it and yet it won with barely an argument.

I mean I'm not an expert, but I am pretty sure that's not how you cut down trees. Aren't you supposed to do a triangle cut on one side so you know which direction the tree will fall to?

IDK, I think I'm going to believe the game called Simulator. No way it's going to half-ass the simulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom