• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The skeletons did not like me by the end of that game.

xbb802wNSwTyA8EpVxPaeT9u5XNEQterGGDuixDdtTrlaLMd1QF0pnEeCdGafDfnecpGG1ppZj0eBQZTdB1VZydf47bn9veCf9Lz_2I=w320-h241-nc

It's so easy to piss off the dwarves and skeletons

I decided to do a playthrough where I play a religious fanatic, and well...damn, pissing off Scarlett and Catherine feels sooooo damn bad.

neshcom

Banned
Finishing the Day 4 podcast and it's almost embarrassing that so many games up for noms didn't even get finished. Is that a failing of leaving everyone to their own devices or miscoordination? Shame
LIS
couldn't get a fuller shake.

Finishing the Day 4 podcast and it's almost embarrassing that so many games up for noms didn't even get finished. Is that a failing of leaving everyone to their own devices or miscoordination? Shame
LIS

Too many open world(hubs) games came out in a very shot amount of time. Batman: AK, Mad Max, Witcher 3, MGSV, Bloodborne, Rise of the Tomb Raider and JC3. Of course between those open world games is a shit ton of other small scale stuff that came out as well.

danm999

LIS

Life is Strange wouldn't have even got a look in had they not put in the Choose Our Own Adventure feature.

neshcom

Banned
Life is Strange wouldn't have even got a look in had they not put in the Choose Our Own Adventure feature.
I disagree--in fact, I imagine at least one of the Beastboys would have finished it quickly if it wasn't behind the feature. Probably would've been later, but the public response would be something to get them to play it for the podcasts.

I just want to add jacknod gifs to both of these posts. Such good games.

I'm also working my way through Tales from the Borderlands and enjoying it. About half way through episode 2. Episode 1 was alright but the first half of ep. 2 was very, very fun. I am extremely curious though to see how it all wraps up that gets people so insanely excited about it. If nothing else, TftB has been very surprising in how fresh it feels. I got so tired of Telltale games a few years ago I hadn't touched one until TftB.

I always like GotY stuff because it points me to a bunch of games I'd have dismissed at face value or never even would have heard of.

I disagree--in fact, I imagine at least one of the Beastboys would have finished it quickly if it wasn't behind the feature. Probably would've been later, but the public response would be something to get them to play it for the podcasts.

That's a real all-or-nothing proposal. If one of them actually finished it, that person could spur the rest to complete it--but it's just as likely none of them would get through it (e.g. Austin only finished Tales From the Borderlands over the Christmas break). As unfortunate as the timing is, at least Life is Strange is getting completed by the Beastcrew.

An aside, but the Gotycast LiS Best Moment discussion hit me hard. Wasn't expecting that at all...

Oh man. Do eet! It's more of a singe player game than multiplayer as the multiplayer I believe is restricted to just RTS-battles with other people, but the single player is so damn good. I've replayed it a few times and I usually let the AI do the actual RTS moments, and just do character based stuff.
I planned to play it after beating Divinity: Original Sin, but then wound up never completing it. Then I waited for DOS: Enhanced Edition, but was sidetracked by the ten thousand RPGs released in 2015. Now I'm buried in an epic RPG backlog.

One day.

Nice. Thanks.

Robobrad's tour through the studio was great too, but Robovinny is on another level entirely.

hamchan

Yeaaaaaaaa.... That didn't work out so well for Tales of the Bordelrands.

Joeku

I'm also working my way through Tales from the Borderlands and enjoying it. About half way through episode 2. Episode 1 was alright but the first half of ep. 2 was very, very fun. I am extremely curious though to see how it all wraps up that gets people so insanely excited about it. If nothing else, TftB has been very surprising in how fresh it feels. I got so tired of Telltale games a few years ago I hadn't touched one until TftB.

I always like GotY stuff because it points me to a bunch of games I'd have dismissed at face value or never even would have heard of.

The sole reason we all skipped it at first was the Telltale fatigue. It just had such good word of mouth that it was hard to avoid.

Zekes!

I also just completed the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands the other day. Excited to see how it ramps up

danm999

The East Coast guys maybe.

The West Coast guys got a little hot and bothered by some of the more insistent fanbases telling them to check things out this year.

The East Coast guys maybe.

The West Coast guys got a little hot and bothered by some of the more insistent fanbases telling them to check things out this year.

I always post a list and hope they'd pick something they think it's cool or feel they want to try out. More like a recommendation list. I wish they would just play a couple of games instead of just one, kind of like UPF.

danm999

Yeah but I hated every moment of the rts/dragon gameplay :(

Yeah, it's clearly going for the Total War thing of splitting real time and turn based over world but whereas Total War is this sublime real time militaristic thing Dragon Commander is a pretty bad RTS.

It was definitely the weakest part of the game because you essentially need to crank out a constant stream of (for lack of a better word I'll use a DOTA term) creeps that keep the majority of the enemy busy while you're dragon hits the weak points.

I think the game would be better if it eliminated that RTS layer and just kept it like a Risk style game.

Yeah but I hated every moment of the rts/dragon gameplay :(

Playing on normal, it's easy to just stack your forces and then slowly dominate everything. Even on Hard once you get into the groove it's easy to realize when and where to move your units.

Oh, and Taverns. You want alot of taverns. Merc cards are useful for auto resolves. Imp fighters with bombs so they can attack ground units, then you can send them as a sort of forwarding unit to clear out weak areas/sea units.

Atleast that's how I'm doing it, just so I can get through the story stuff and replay for different choices. I don't think in my current game I've actually gone into dragon mode~

Jintor

I literally just want a cheatengine I win button for those parts of the game so I can figure out what's up with these skeletons

Yeah, it's clearly going for the Total War thing of splitting real time and turn based over world but whereas Total War is this sublime real time militaristic thing Dragon Commander is a pretty bad RTS.

It was definitely the weakest part of the game because you essentially need to crank out a constant stream of (for lack of a better word I'll use a DOTA term) creeps that keep the majority of the enemy busy while you're dragon hits the weak points.

I think the game would be better if it eliminated that RTS layer and just kept it like a Risk style game.

I don't think I've ever really understood how to play Total War. Every fight is either a crushing victory or defeat for me, with no inbetween. Plus I really don't like the overworld part of it, due to how bad I am at managing my troops there; always leads to me suffering huge defeats after my (only) standing army is inevitably worn down and killed.

Huge battles are so great in that game, though. Sieges especially--so tense.
Divinity 2 is also very fun.

Divinity 2 put Larian on my map with it's downright weird, wonderful antics. Really bizarre gameplay, but it has a cool adventure element too. And the dragon stuff is rad. And the telepathy. And the music. And the zany world...
Bellegar4ever

There's a lot to like about it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What actually got my attention of divinity 2 was the giantbomb quick look of the 360 version where some weird performance issue made the enemies look like they come from a harryhausan film.

Like, something was obviously wrong but it looks super cool.

danm999

I don't think I've ever really understood how to play Total War. Every fight is either a crushing victory or defeat for me, with no inbetween. Plus I really don't like the overworld part of it, due to how bad I am at managing my troops there; always leads to me suffering huge defeats after my (only) standing army is inevitably worn down and killed.

Huge battles are so great in that game, though. Sieges especially--so tense.

I've been playing them since I was 10, and am a huge history guy, so it's kind of one of my favourite series.

What I love about it, and as is true to history and unlike most video games, it's not about simply having the goal of killing all the enemies, but rather tactically subduing an army. That can mean completely wiping out all opposing soldiers, but most of the time it'll mean routing them, shattering their morale, dividing them into manageable chunks, etc.

Understanding how armies fought in that specific time period you play, how different nations and cultures fought, how to use terrain, how to ambush, the basic principles of ancient and medieval warfare.

Of course if you get good at the overworld strategic stuff you can just faceroll most opponents with auto-battle unless you're on a higher difficulty.

yami4ct

After I got over my hump in the Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 is good everyone. Like, I just blind bought the season pass good. Look forward to integrating Hearts of Stone right into my play through.

Like, the Novigrad section is a weirdly paced bummer, but once you get out of that shit it's like super damn awesome. Even the side quests in that area get way better after you finish that awful Dandelion quest.

Houndi101

After I got over my hump in the Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 is good everyone. Like, I just blind bought the season pass good. Look forward to integrating Hearts of Stone right into my play through.

Like, the Novigrad section is a weirdly paced bummer, but once you get out of that shit it's like super damn awesome. Even the side quests in that area get way better after you finish that awful Dandelion quest.

It's so weird that for me 1 and 2 had this same hump you're talking about.
Still waiting for the Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition/GOTY package but I will surely get it

Lingitiz

I find it so weird that people think that Dandelion quest is a bummer. It gets you involved in some pretty heavy stuff with the Church of the Eternal Fire and how you choose to handle Caleb. All the stuff with Djikstra is really fun too. And the subplot with Triss and the escape of the mages was super well done. I always felt like there was something cool to see or do, and you leave that quest line having had a big impact on the state of that city. Maybe it's just because I've done that sequence multiple times, but the finding Dandelion part of it isn't even that long. I think most of it is really enjoyable too. Part of it is that I have an attachment to the characters like Dandelion, Triss, and Zoltan from the rest of the series though.

Hearts of Stone is first-class content.

Moaradin

Novigrad bummed me out. It was super weird going from the Bloody Baron questline to that. I got to Skellige, but I kinda lost all interest in the game by that point. Novigrad being a big reason why. I'll probably try going back to the game once all the DLC is out.

luiztfc

Guys, I love Austin, but I'm watching the Until Dawn GBE Playdate and I can't stand him anymore trying (or rather, succeeding) to direct Alex. Check this, open that, this is important, check your clues, oh you did, okay, this is important... C'mon man, let him play the game! And now Alex himself is stealthy checking the chat...

I had to get this off my chest.

strafer

Guys, I love Austin, but I'm watching the Until Dawn GBE Playdate and I can't stand him anymore trying (or rather, succeeding) to direct Alex. Check this, open that, this is important, check your clues, oh you did, okay, this is important... C'mon man, let him play the game! And now Alex himself is stealthy checking the chat...

I had to get this off my chest.

Yep. Austin constantly checking the laptop was a bit annoying.

Divinity 2 put Larian on my map with it's downright weird, wonderful antics. Really bizarre gameplay, but it has a cool adventure element too. And the dragon stuff is rad. And the telepathy. And the music. And the zany world...
Bellegar4ever

There's a lot to like about it.

It's funny, even though Original Sin is almost universally considered a superior game, it just hasn't sucked me in like Divinity 2 did. And a lot of that was because of what you mentioned. That's a weird ass game with crazy difficulty swings, but it really drew me in.

Yup, he has to use those 4 hours up by today or else it's WWE, book reports (handwritten) and a clean shave by Cena.

Oh cool! I thought he might have invested some of those hours already and I might have missed it. I am intrested in seeing how this goes. I guess it will be an evening stream (for him), Google tells me it is 9AM in Chicago right now, so it is probbaly a bit too early to be expecting something. I hope Dan Periscopes too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom