• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Thanks for this.

I feel like I am somewhat technically perficent, but this seems a bit confusing to set up. I am downloanding something called Lifestremer now (http://docs.livestreamer.io/install.html#windows-binaries), I hope it is the right thing.

That's right. Once installed it'll add itself to your Windows environment variables, so just open a command prompt and type:

Code:
livestreamer twitch.tv/danryckert best

The 'best' part means you want the best stream available but you can also replace that with 'worst' 'mobile' 'low' 'high' etc (unpartnered streams only have one, so you'll get that). VLC should launch and play the stream.

And to increase your VLC buffer http://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-vlc-streaming-buffer/

Oh man, I forgot about Dark Souls 1's corpse physics, somehow.

Dan's stream is bringing back so many memories. What a game. The American flag needs to go.

It was tens of hours into Dark Souls before I really got into locking on to my enemies.
Thought he might be trying to cover Steam notifications but I don't think they pop up in that corner for DS.

By default it's the bottom right corner. Some games switch it if the UI is there, but DS' port is so barebones that I doubt they cared.

Dan could've easily turned off notifications entirely before starting, though.

lol
When I finally killed that Knight it dropped the Greatsword, which I then used to power through the game.

Starting as a Deprived, I used the starting club in 95% of my playtime.

God-tier weapon.
Wait, how did he kill the black knight?
Dan was sitting under the bridge (before the rats and two soldiers), planning how to kill the Knight. He didn't notice the Knight fall off the edge chasing him until a moment later.

How close is Patrick, really? He's got at least another third or a quarter of that stage left.

I've been staunchly #TeamScoops, but even I begin to doubt.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Glad Jeff finally tried Undertale
ZIqmBgc.jpg

How close is Patrick, really? He's got at least another third or a quarter of that stage left.

I've been staunchly #TeamScoops, but even I begin to doubt.

He is probbaly at the last 20% of content, but it is the most convoluted part of the game to get through. Even if Patrick continuously reaches the new parts of the level during the runs he will die countless times figuring stuff out, which will keep chipping away at his allotted time. I don't think he will make it. He might see the flag pole a few times, but touching it is a puzzle in itself (
I think you have be be big Mario with spike helmet
)

He is probbaly at the last 20% of content, but it is the most convoluted part of the game to get through. Even if Patrick continuously reaches the new parts of the level during the runs he will die countless times figuring stuff out, which will keep chipping away at his allotted time. I don't think he will make it. He might see the flag pole a few times, but touching it is a puzzle in itself (
I think you have be be big Mario with spike helmet
)

I had to watch the video of a completed run of this stage. Patrick's made a remarkable amount of progress, but that last section is a bastard, and he might just not have enough time to brute force his way through it.

justjim89

Dark Souls hardcore fans are kinda funny in that they whine if someone doesn't play or appreciate Dark Souls, but then if someone does play it, they have a litany of reasons for why they're playing it wrong.

"Don't use magic, that's for babies!"

"Don't get the drake sword, that's for babies!"

"Don't summon on bosses, that's for babies!"

"Don't use a wiki or a message board to suss out help on how to properly interact with all the mechanics of this game that go barely explained! It's for babies!"

Like, I love Dark Souls. It's a really great game. But especially for a person of some note playing it like Brad or Dan or Youtube's Patrick Klepek, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Dineren

Banned
Dark Souls hardcore fans are kinda funny in that they whine if someone doesn't play or appreciate Dark Souls, but then if someone does play it, they have a litany of reasons for why they're playing it wrong.

"Don't use a wiki or a message board to suss out help on how to properly interact with all the mechanics of this game that go barely explained! It's for babies!"

Like, I love Dark Souls. It's a really great game. But especially for a person of some note playing it like Brad or Dan or Youtube's Patrick Klepek, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

This is by far the worst part of Dark Souls streams. I know twitch in general is pretty bad when it comes to backseat gaming, but I've never seen anything like souls streams.

justjim89

This is by far the worst part of Dark Souls streams. I know twitch in general is pretty bad when it comes to backseat gaming, but I've never seen anything like souls streams.

"Can you believe he didn't get that ring? It was right there, behind the barrel under the stairs past the pit of fire on that side of the wall you don't really see from the main path after you kill the eight soldiers! He walked right past it!"

Jebusman

Banned

While I think you can get a better appreciation of Dark Souls (and the Souls series in general) treating it this way, as I think the discovery and trial-and-error are part of the experience, I wouldn't fault anyone that doesn't want to put up with that.

The more hardcore fans could probably do with explaining this mentality a little better, but I share the sentiment.

Patrick is live!

Also thanks for the Livestreamer recommendation.

Done a little reading into it, and if you use the "-o [filename].mp4" option and then open that file in VLC, you can watch live whilst downloading the stream and also pause and rewind!

Myggen

"Can you believe he didn't get that ring? It was right there, behind the barrel under the stairs past the pit of fire on that side of the wall you don't really see from the main path after you kill the eight soldiers! He walked right past it!"

People know that game so well at this point that they forget how it was to play it for the first time, so you get a lot of "IT'S SO OBVIOUS!!!!" when it really isn't to anyone who hasn't played the game.

danm999

You can see the hardcore Dark Souls attitude on full display on that why didn't it win GOTY 2011 thread on gaming side.

justjim89

People know that game so well at this point that they forget how it was to play it for the first time, so you get a lot of "IT'S SO OBVIOUS!!!!" when it really isn't to anyone who hasn't played the game.

Yeah, true. I'll admit I can that way I'm sure when watching people play games I know in and out.

Btw Myggen, every time I see your avatar I think for a split second that it's Jeff posting in the thread. Posting angrily, staring into my soul.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah it's hard to remember but I wouldn't wanna watch ME play the game first time through. Watch me run in a circle around this room 3 times to make sure I didn't miss anything!

Bowlie

Banned

The first time is always the best, people should let the player experience without these annoyances.

You can see the hardcore Dark Souls attitude on full display on that why didn't it win GOTY 2011 thread on gaming side.

and yess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom