• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubobutts

Dan really hates the American Flag.

United States Flag Code said:
The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins). Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

Megasoum

Banned
The lack of a mute button on the Periscope webpage is just the dumbest thing ever... Not only is it a gimmick but it's not even a good gimmick.

Dan really hates the American Flag.
No offence to the lovely Americans here, but the fact that there's a 'flag code' is really bizarre to me. Stuff like you can't let it touch the ground and stuff?

The one time I went to the US (and I had a lovely time!) the only thing more startling that armed personnel everywhere was the American flag... *everywhere*.

I get the patriotism but...why so many flags?! To remember what country you're in?!

Welp, I've probably just banned myself from entry to the USA forever :(

Chuck

Still without luck
The lack of a mute button on the Periscope webpage is just the dumbest thing ever... Not only is it a gimmick but it's not even a good gimmick.

if you're on chrome, you can right click the tab and mute it

No offence to the lovely Americans here, but the fact that there's a 'flag code' is really bizarre to me. Stuff like you can't let it touch the ground and stuff?

The one time I went to the US (and I had a lovely time!) the only thing more startling that armed personnel everywhere was the American flag... *everywhere*.

I get the patriotism but...why so many flags?! To remember what country you're in?!

No you're right, our admiration for rectangular pieces of cloth is fucking stupid.

justjim89

You ever hear the pledge of allegiance they indoctrinate us into saying TO THE FLAG every morning as kids?

It's a weird, creepy fucking thing.

Myggen

Not having the flag touch the grund is a really normal thing at least. I know we have that here in Norway.

Dineren

Banned

I personally think our nationalism is excessive, but I just assumed that there were flag rules everywhere. Don't most countries have rules (if not laws) governing the use of their flag?

yami4ct

Not having the flag touch the grund is a really normal thing at least. I know we have that here in Norway.

I was under the impression that a flag code was a general thing for most countries, but the only time people cared about it was during official business.

I don't mind a set of rules to respect national symbols when they're used in an official capacity.

Depends on who wins the next election. You certainly got yourself put on a list, which list is tbc.
Well I donated to Obama's first campaign. Which probably wasn't legal?

Donald Trump always claims Scottish ancestry when wanting to buy up land for his latest abomination of a golf course here and to him I say...

...show me the birth certificate!

popo

I imagine almost every country has a code for people handling official flags. The difference is that generally the public would not be able to recite it. US isn't that bad though. Despite what some people might believe, there are no actual flag burning laws. There are a number of countries that can and will legally flog you for disrespecting articles of state.

For all the shite someone like Trump talks, you have to admire that he can stand up in front of an audience and get away with saying whatever dumb thing comes out of his mouth.

Haunted

Glad Jeff finally tried Undertale
ZIqmBgc.jpg
Eerily close to the artistry on display in Undertale's ruins.

I've watched an hour of GBeast's Until Dawn playthrough and it is hilarious so far. Great game to riff.
100% agreed.

yami4ct

I imagine almost every country has a code for people handling official flags. The difference is that generally the public would not be able to recite it. US isn't that bad though. Despite what some people might believe, there are no actual flag burning laws. There are a number of countries that can and will legally flog you for disrespecting articles of state.

I think a lot of the reason people (outside of the military and government folk) know the flag here is because of scouting programs. Learning flag handling has always been a big part of that stuff.

Megasoum

Banned
Overly patriotic people always annoyed me for some reason... Doesn't matter which country... I just always have a "Get over it already" feeling when seing those guys.

I'm totally in favor of some kind of flag code. I understand and agree about the respect expected vis-à-vis the country flag.

Bowlie

Banned
Here in Brazil the only rules we have to our flag are in regards to its size and the placement of the stars; "how it must be crafted". Not rules like "how it must and must not be used".

We have pride in our culture, music, food, etc., but we don't care at all about our flag. You won't see our flag in the streets unless it's a sport or political event.

Myggen

I was under the impression that a flag code was a general thing for most countries, but the only time people cared about it was during official business.

I don't mind a set of rules to respect national symbols when they're used in an official capacity.

We've got laws on how government buildings can and shall use the flag and unwritten rules about the proper use of the flag. Google says that most countries have rules like that.

Tubobutts

BECAUSE FREEDOM!

Wikipedia said:
In Scotland, planning permission to fly the Saltire from a flagpole is required,therefore it can not be flown at any time by any individual, company, local authority, hospital or school without first obtaining planning permission

Here in Brazil the only rules we have to our flag are in regards to its size and the placement of the stars; "how it must be crafted". Not rules like "how it must and must not be used".

We have pride in our culture, music, food, etc., but we don't care at all about our flag. You won't see our flag in the streets unless it's a sport or political event.

Didn't a wrestler get in trouble for kicking the Brazilian Flag?

You ever hear the pledge of allegiance they indoctrinate us into saying TO THE FLAG every morning as kids?

It's a weird, creepy fucking thing.
Oh yeah. But then, I went to Catholic schools from age 5 to 18 so I know all about indoctrination (and I survived to tell the tale!)
Shit. Does the UK extradite folk to Norway?

Shitshitshit.
I personally think our nationalism is excessive, but I just assumed that there were flag rules everywhere. Don't most countries have rules (if not laws) governing the use of their flag?
I genuinely don't know! I guess the UK flag is such a mishmash of things that no one part of the UK really has any attachment to it. Any time I see the UK flag not at least accompanied with a Saltire, I shudder. But it's so rare to even see a flag flying here.

Megasoum

Banned
Even worse when they run the place.

Tony-Abbott-8-flags-620x397.jpg

Well I don't mind it as much when it's during an official occasion. Kinda makes sense for those but people like Dan with the flag jumpsuit, the actual flag on its shoulders and flag overlay on at all time during his streams... I mean... We get it...come on...

Zaph

The Union Jack rules can get a bit complicated, luckily St George's Cross only has one rule

1. Are you a teeny bit racist? Yes? Proceed.

popo

Overly patriotic people always annoyed me for some reason... Doesn't matter which country... I just always have a "Get over it already" feeling when seing those guys.

I'm totally in favor of some kind of flag code. I understand and agree about the respect expected vis-à-vis the country flag.

It can be fun though.

Quebec’s language police admits it may have been overzealous in asking to change the word “pasta” on the menu of a local Italian restaurant.
According to restaurant owner Massimo Lecas, the Office Quebecois de la langue francaise had determined that pasta is not a French word, and its appearance on a menu without an adequate translation violated Quebec's Language Charter.

Megasoum

Banned
It can be fun though.

Well yeah... The "Office Québecois de la langue française" is one of the main reason I feel that way lol...

I'm a French speaking Québecois... I love the French language.... I FUCKING HATE THOSE GUYS... They are the woooorssstttttt. Running around screaming about every single store/brands that has one word of english in it's name.... Ughhhhhhh My blood boils when I think about those guys.

Frith

The Union Jack rules can get a bit complicated, luckily St George's Cross only has one rule

1. Are you a teeny bit racist? Yes? Proceed.

my flat was owned by some one who was a teeny bit racist at some point i didn't put it together for a couple of years but having a coffee outside i realised my patio has a massive st gorge cross in it.

i wondered why it was split in 4 for ages then i was "ooooooohh"

classy as fuck

yami4ct

Is there anything left after he gets up to that next section?

I honestly can't remember. Would have to check out the video again. If I remember correctly, there's a bullshit fall like he had in one of his previous levels that might get you if you don't know it's there, but other than that he's got it.

JGLS

Just finished watching Dan's Dark Souls stream of today. He's not being very attentive or thorough, which was to be expected, but he's making some decent progress. Also, he's practicing and getting the hang of the riposte, which happily surprised me. If he's considering using summoning from now on, might as well dust-off my mid range jolly cooperation character and see if I can help him a bit.

Well I don't mind it as much when it's during an official occasion. Kinda makes sense for those but people like Dan with the flag jumpsuit, the actual flag on its shoulders and flag overlay on at all time during his streams... I mean... We get it...come on...

Lemme introduce you to this word called "heel", my friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom