• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

Personally I was surprised Bloodborne didn't get anything, and especially surprised it didn't make it into the top 10 best games. I'm not gonna be salty about it, because it's a stupid thing to get upset about, but I feel it suffered a bit due to Souls fatigue (which is fair enough, I guess) in conjunction with being released so early in the year (which is a bit more lamentable). Hearing Austin dismiss it as a "pretty good" game was still a little shocking to me, especially when his main complaints were insufficient environmental variety (which I think isn't entirely unfair, but a bit exaggerated) and healing item design (come on dude -- that's a pretty damn minor complaint!:).

About Jeff as a salt mine.. I must say I did find his approach and tone as they were getting closer to the top of the "Best game" list kind of disappointing. His loud and sarcastic reaction to one of the guys (I can't remember if it was Jason or Brad, or both?) wanting to place Rocket League over Mario Maker I just found.. kinda rude and obnoxious, especially when it's coming from Jeff who is so clearly the most senior, with "Top Dog" status. I got the impression that he was making it pretty clear that Mario Maker was going to be GOTY regardless of if he and Dan would be the only one placing it there, and regardless of whatever argument anyone was going to make against it or in favour of any other game. Which resulted in no one else really being bothered to try to make an impassioned argument for something else.

To be clear, I'm not saying SMM shouldn't be their GOTY. Without having played either of Mario Maker and MGS5, my impression is that Mario Maker is more worthy in general and especially as GB's GOTY. What I'm saying is just that the process of arriving at Mario Maker as #1 was kinda disappointing, especially with regards to Jeff's way of arguing it onto that spot. Maybe I'm being unfair, but it felt a bit like a one man show at that point.

While Jeff was definitely strong arming it a little, I think if someone against Mario Maker made a passionate enough case for one of the two contenders (MGSV or Rocket League) then they could have gotten Jeff to cave. Jeff's negative reaction to Rocket League (i think his argument was simply just "I got tired of it quick") to me felt as limp as Brad's stubbornly sticking to his "You gotta use twitter!" argument for Mario Maker. If Brad spent the energy he spent on that weak argument building up Rocket League or something instead it would have been more interesting.

fleck0

Drunk buy some gunpla!

Don't joke about that shit! I swear I have so many zakus en route to me right now after austin reminded me how awesome gunpla is.

this literally happened just hours ago, a cautionary tale.

FB9UUWo.jpg

I find that gundam parts usually don't work great as toffee apples.

I think you'd find yourself surprised how well they work as parasols.

dan made his game informer profile a copy and paste of some blues musician's bio and when he made fun of some shitty director over his shitty video game movie the director fired back by calling dan a failed musician

Oh god I kinda remember this

got a link?

yami4ct

I get that playing a game is subjective, and if your not having fun your not having fun, but man how could Dan have gotten to and (hopefully through) the Skellige kingmaker quest and not have had that stuff stick out as much as the Bloody Baron questlines? That stuff there is pretty phenomenal.

Wait.Did this guy also do a video about Jeff and Fallout 4? I keep seeing a video with a guy that looks like him pop up on the front of my youtube page that mentions Jeff and that game in the title. I've never clicked it because I just assumed it was gonna be a mess.

What

I get that playing a game is subjective, and if your not having fun your not having fun, but man how could Dan have gotten to and (hopefully through) the Skellige kingmaker quest and not have had that stuff stick out as much as the Bloody Baron questlines? That stuff there is pretty phenomenal.

I don't think he did. Did he? He was still looking for that one dude and doesn't that all take place in Novigrad?

yami4ct

What

I don't think he did. Did he? He was still looking for that one dude and doesn't that all take place in Novigrad?

He talked about getting to Ugly Baby, which is further than where I'm at and I just did the Skellige stuff I mentioned.

I can't imagine him getting there and skipping it. It's side stuff, but the game hangs it right in front of your face during a main quest and does a good job selling it IMO. Not sure why someone would skip it.

That has been around for about 2 years if not more. I remember it been brought up near the start of the Gamergate nonsense

Fobwashed does not seem to understand how to let things lie sometimes, and not give them publicity - which this has been doing for a long time as no one cared about it

Yeah, I clicked expecting something that just happened and was greeted with a terribly bad and old video that doesn't need to be talked about whatsoever.

Edit: Lets talk about GB analyzing Fast and the Furious series.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Vinny said at the end of the last Beastcast that "there is a new Kerbal coming out next Monday," and you will be happy to know it is now Monday.

A new Kerbal may be just 4 hours away (if it hits its usual times).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hows the customizatoon so far?

It's OK. The game isn't overly complex, which is what drew me to it. I got the third ship now with 3 pulse cannon turrets and 1 laser turret, I tried a few different weapons (there's quite a few) but ultimate this is what I settled in, as I mostly like to use turrets and not so much the broadside cannons. I was all ready to love the cluster missile turrets but they run out fast and I cba having to go back to recharge them at a station everytime, I already have that problem with my heat seeking missiles I have as a secondary weapon (non-turret)

There are like 3 anonymous posts on Jeff's tumblr with users referencing "bouncing on their boy's dick all day" and I'm pretty sure cause they're fans of that Internet Comment Etiquette YT channel.

I don't know what he did to attract them but I remember him making a salvia joke during one of the GOTY podcasts.

danm999

There are like 3 anonymous posts on Jeff's tumblr with users referencing "bouncing on their boy's dick all day" and I'm pretty sure cause they're fans of that Internet Comment Etiquette YT channel.

I think Jeff is getting a kick out of answering similar comments in waves; you see it again with the "4chan says" ones.

Rainmaker

Banned
I hope someone at Giant Bomb is watching Wrestle Kingdom 10 for the next Powerbombcast, because this one's set to be a real doozy!

I wish they were. I'd love to hear them talk about it. Including Drew! I'm ready for Styles vs Nakamura. Plus that Doraemon thing that just happened.

Fobwashed

That has been around for about 2 years if not more. I remember it been brought up near the start of the Gamergate nonsense

Fobwashed does not seem to understand how to let things lie sometimes, and not give them publicity - which this has been doing for a long time as no one cared about it

I watched it when Gita tweeted it out thinking it was gonna be some kinda joke thing and it turned out to be a garbage fire. Didn't really look into how old or anything it was because I was amazed at how much this dude was getting wrong. The vid I saw was looks like it was posted a lil less than a year ago and it was my first time seeing it so I just wanted to say fuck this guy. On one hand, giving these ppl publicity sucks, but on the other hand, fuck this guy. Initially I just posted a clip so that ppl wouldn't go to their page but then felt like I should link it in case ppl wanted to see how crazy the entire video was and to credit Gita for putting it in front of my face -_-;;

If I see some utter garbage like this, I think it should be called out for being garbage and unacceptable. So I guess ur right and I don't really understand how to let things lie. No sarcasm, I just don't feel that's the right way to handle this kind of trash.

I watched it when Gita tweeted it out thinking it was gonna be some kinda joke thing and it turned out to be a garbage fire. Didn't really look into how old or anything it was because I was amazed at how much this dude was getting wrong. The vid I saw was looks like it was posted a lil less than a year ago and it was my first time seeing it so I just wanted to say fuck this guy. On one hand, giving these ppl publicity sucks, but on the other hand, fuck this guy. Initially I just posted a clip so that ppl wouldn't go to their page but then felt like I should link it in case ppl wanted to see how crazy the entire video was and to credit Gita for putting it in front of my face -_-;;

If I see some utter garbage like this, I think it should be called out for being garbage and unacceptable. So I guess ur right and I don't really understand how to let things lie. No sarcasm, I just don't feel that's the right way to handle this kind of trash.

I don't blame you for calling out that video. It just infuriating seeing all that ignorance and misinformation condensed into 5 minutes of stupid green screen skits.

AcridMeat

Banned
Finally got around to watching the videos for Day 4 and 5 after finishing the podcasts yesterday, and I really enjoyed this year's videos given the circumstances. Jeff was fantastic and Drew's freeze frame in the credits was amazing haha.

Sorry if I sounded harsh. It was harsh, but I did not mean to target you. I didn't wake up this morning and decide to be mean to you or Gita. I pretty much agree with everything you said about this. Everything about the video is basically wrong. I do believe there is a way to spoof Jeff (and the rest of the GB Team) in a humorous way, but this guy fails at it. Back when I first saw this video I went through other pieces of content from that channel, and everything misses the mark in a huge way. Adam Sandler has more success making me laugh - and that's a low mark.

I have no idea if the people running this channel have Gamergate connections, but when I first saw this video it was at the same time that huge clusterfuck was kicking into high gear for the first time. I then read the comments (always a bad idea), and that just reinforced that idea in my head. Whilst I do agree that some bad parts of the internet need to be talked about in the open, I think others should be just tossed to the wayside and left to die. This is the only place where we really differ with this bit of content. To me this video is spiteful, and was posted by the creator simply to get a reaction. Giving it any credence, and acknowledging its existence in circles where its content as the most meaning means we are giving the creator exactly what he/they wanted.

That fact that I directed my anger and you (and indirectly Gita) was a bad move though, so sorry about that.

repeater

Dude let Alex and Austin flank him like he flanked Dan last year for Best Music. Come to hustle, be ready to tussle!
Would you care to elaborate a bit on this? I don't entirely see the parallels, to be honest.

While Jeff was definitely strong arming it a little, I think if someone against Mario Maker made a passionate enough case for one of the two contenders (MGSV or Rocket League) then they could have gotten Jeff to cave. Jeff's negative reaction to Rocket League (i think his argument was simply just "I got tired of it quick") to me felt as limp as Brad's stubbornly sticking to his "You gotta use twitter!" argument for Mario Maker. If Brad spent the energy he spent on that weak argument building up Rocket League or something instead it would have been more interesting.
Yeah, and that's one of the reasons I'm not complaining about SMM being GOTY, just about the way it got there. I feel like there weren't really any serious contenders for the top spot. Everyone felt really good about Rocket League, but there was this feeling (which I share) that it was somehow too slight to be GOTY on GB's list. And when it comes to MGS, most of the guys had some amount of fun with it, but a lot of them also had severe complaints about central aspects of the game, and this was even before Konami started fucking the game over with all kinds of shenanigans. So I really can't see how the top of the list could've turned out any other way, but it was a disappointment that the process was so brief and felt so one-sided. I felt like there were points during the GOTY deliberations this year that Brad was taking things too personally and getting too salty about cuts and stuff like that, but his tangible frustration in the discussions of the top of the GOTY list was completely understandable and frankly pretty justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom