• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Oh god, it got cut. :(

Fuck this site.

Just because a site doesn't list it doesn't invalidate your own personal opinion.

I really like what Austin said in the last Beastcast about people liking games that others don't. Yes, you can point out a game's flaws and explain why it might not appeal to people, but you can't say a person's lying if they said they enjoyed a game.

As a person who has a fondness for several games that people vehemently hate, this rang very true to me.

Just because a site doesn't list it doesn't invalidate your own personal opinion.

I really like what Austin said in the last Beastcast about people liking games that others don't. Yes, you can point out a game's flaws and explain why it might not appeal to people, but you can't say a person's lying if they said they enjoyed a game.

As a person who has a fondness for several games that people vehemently hate, this rang very true to me.

Fuck that!

It's all in jest. I really don't care, I just like the discussion and arguing.

kingocfs

Back from vacation and taking a look at my current backlog:

Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Pillars of Eternity (need to finish)
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Witcher 3 (yes, I'm going to give it a try)
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Trails in the Sky FC
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Tales of the Borderlands

So what am I doing? Taking my original XBox I retrieved over the holidays out of mothballs, and replaying KOTOR for the umpteenth time. I have come to conclusion, having played that game now on XBox, iPad (with and without controller) and PC that the XBox is the best feeling version of the game.

I have messed up gaming priorities.

Been giving Old Republic another try to scratch that Star Wars itch. It's kind of amazing how much that game has changed. It's basically a single player game now.

Imperial Agent story has been pretty great, too.

Patryn

Been giving Old Republic another try to scratch that Star Wars itch. It's kind of amazing how much that game has changed. It's basically a single player game now.

As a long-time fan of TOR, holy shit has that game changed.

I've checked in after most of the big changes, and it's a strange game to go back to at this point. I so vividly remember the early days.

Luckily I didn't finish the Jedi Knight storyline around the launch period, when I understand the final mission was a hidden Heroic 4, instead of the nerfed snooze path thats only difficulty was forcing a non-healing companion on you (and now even that's changed, given that all companions can serve any of the three major roles).

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Imp Agent story is SO GOOD. Knight was good too but man being a cold-ass bitch who answers to no one was the best. I almost always play "Good" characters, or Light side, because evil choices (especially in Bioware games) tend to be just ridiculously over the top, but I had so much fun role-playing the ruthless spy/assassin.

repeater

I just don't understand how everyone in the room gets all excited and passionate when they talk about
the weapons in the game
but then when it comes to the game overall they just say "Meh" and complain about variety. All their differing opinions kind of shows that there is at least some good variety.
Yeah.. I also think they were kind of neglecting how much the game actually seems to shake up the standard Souls formula for combat while still being in that tradition of games. Also, how effective it is as a horror game and at combining that with being an action RPG. Also, how nicely some of the storytelling and gameplay mechanics tie into one another. And so on.

I don't know. Maybe the main difference is that I'm not as suspectible to Souls fatigue due to BB being my first Souls game. It'll be interesting to see what the crew's (as well as the world at large's) response to DS3 will be this spring.

As someone who is of nordic heritage, the amount of cultural ignorance at play in that article is both shocking and offensive to me.

Not really :p

Zaph

At the end of the Imperial Agent quest I remember making some pretty huge changes to the universe. That was at launch, did any of the subsequent expansions play off those choices meaningfully or did they swerve and reset?

Will they update the website design this year?
Really hope so, would be nice to see some updates that aren't just for ad unit integration or further attempts to unfuck their lost cause video player.

Vinny seems mildly optimistic on getting some east coast studio improvements which is much needed too. Their studio setup seems so sad and cramped.

jaina

Vinny seems mildly optimistic on getting some east coast studio improvements which is much needed too. Their studio setup seems so sad and cramped.
He's optimistic because he now has the 2016 studio budget. And doesn't need anything else, unlike the website.

hahaha

V: We're on the wrong side.
Au: So we've gotta wait until it turns.
V: [laughs] The moon?!

e: later:

Au: Does the moon not rotate?

Patryn

At the end of the Imperial Agent quest I remember making some pretty huge changes to the universe. That was at launch, did any of the subsequent expansions play off those choices meaningfully or did they swerve and reset?

They didn't.

All the later stuff is basically class-independent. The latest expansion is even faction independent.

Megasoum

Banned
I want to be mad at whoever told Vinny to tilt west but that kind of misinformation only prolongs the series, so...

explanation: if you go in the direction of the planet's rotation (east) you basically get some free lateral movement. or rather, you don't suffer any penalties to fuel consumption trying to counter your default trajectory. going west is the worst-case scenario since it's 180 degrees from the planet's natural rotation

Oh no lol... Haven't watched the episode yet but I already dread it lol.

kingocfs

Imp Agent story is SO GOOD. Knight was good too but man being a cold-ass bitch who answers to no one was the best. I almost always play "Good" characters, or Light side, because evil choices (especially in Bioware games) tend to be just ridiculously over the top, but I had so much fun role-playing the ruthless spy/assassin.

I'll probably check out Knight after I'm done with this one, I've yet to play any light side stories.

As a long-time fan of TOR, holy shit has that game changed.

I've checked in after most of the big changes, and it's a strange game to go back to at this point. I so vividly remember the early days.

Luckily I didn't finish the Jedi Knight storyline around the launch period, when I understand the final mission was a hidden Heroic 4, instead of the nerfed snooze path thats only difficulty was forcing a non-healing companion on you (and now even that's changed, given that all companions can serve any of the three major roles).

Played a little bit when it first came out and yeah, so much stuff was such a struggle back then. With the way companions work now I haven't died once yet and I'm about level 40 (after playing for a few days). I wasn't really into it at first but I get what they're going for - get to the endgame as fast as possible.

Would love to see Jeff QL the game as it is now, he'll probably like it more than he did back in the day.

Noaloha

I might have missed it, but does Vinny have the necessary bits on board to make a Kerbin re-entry without setting on fire? I saw him remove the parachute, and I also don't recall him putting a heat shield on the underside of his crew pod.

I might have missed it, but does Vinny have the necessary bits on board to make a Kerbin re-entry without setting on fire? I saw him remove the parachute, and I also don't recall him putting a heat shield on the underside of his crew pod.

I couldn't remember if that pod had any built-in shielding, but no, he didn't add any additional protection

It's funnier that he reads the list immediately afterwards and skips over RL entirely, and no one calls him out on it. He just pretends the discussion never happened and gets away with it.

Brad shouldve backed rocket league instead of attacking mario. It wouldve been a more successful gambit to dethrone SMM.

Dineren

Banned
Brad shouldve backed rocket league instead of attacking mario. It wouldve been a more successful gambit to dethrone SMM.

Depends on what his endgame was. If it was just to get SMM out of the topspot that would be a good move, but it would've pushed MGS to third. So if he wanted MGS as high as possible he made the right move not backing Rocket League.

Huh.

No one actually died in a flaming wreck in this episode of Project Beast. PROGRESS!

But I could argue that trapped in space for eternity is worse then death.

eBay is so weird. I'm selling my Oculus DK2 to help fund my CV1 Rift purchase, and my auction is going for higher than Buy It Now postings. Why would someone do that? It worries me a bit, I already got shafted once with a scam buyer.

Meneses

It's funnier that he reads the list immediately afterwards and skips over RL entirely, and no one calls him out on it. He just pretends the discussion never happened and gets away with it.

Rocket League was disappeared.

Jeff "Police State" Gerstmann.

popo

I think it appears more cramped than it actually is - but they are not likely to get more space anyway. With the cost per sq foot in NY - other people probably look at their broom closet with envy.

I used to think that bandwidth was the biggest expense in running sites like GB and GS. A lot of people look at the equipment spend and wonder at the cost. However, with the news reporting about Apple moving in to the building - and estimates of what they are likely paying - it is clear why the exec level made them move to a deadline and were willing to throw schedules under the bus to do so. That floor they were on was so under used that they let GB build a studio in the corridor. I can only imagine what CBS pays to lease the whole building. People talk about execs looking at the balance sheet and shutting GB down. If CBS were not such and old dinosaur that cared about the status of having offices in the major cities then it is more likely that they would shut the whole building down and move everyone to spare lot space they already own in LA.

Ughhhhhh Brad is so frustrating in this SMM discussion. Having not played the game it just sounds like absolutely absurd whining. Is it annoying? Sure, but saying it ruins the game? Nuts!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Ughhhhhh Brad is so frustrating in this SMM discussion. Having not played the game it just sounds like absolutely absurd whining. Is it annoying? Sure, but saying it ruins the game? Nuts!

He bet the farm on preventing SMM from reaching the top spot, and he lost everything, predictably. He chose... poorly.

Brad is usually better at getting his way than that. It's odd, despite saying it was close to one of his favourite games ever, Brad didn't seem that passionate about MGSV. If you compare it to how he was with Destiny and Skyrim with his nonstop blabbering about about them.

Brad is usually better at getting his way than that. It's odd, despite saying it was close to one of his favourite games ever, Brad didn't seem that passionate about MGSV. If you compare it to how he was with Destiny and Skyrim with his nonstop blabbering about about them.
He didn't really push anything this year, I think Alex and Dan killing Ori broke him.

popo

Jeff liking Grow Home - and to some extent tomb raider - were big surprises for me. Never heard him say anything nice about either before.

Houndi101

Considering how much I disliked Skyrim I might have to listen to that years stuff.. if there's no best of on Youtube or something?

KingKong

lol at the next time on Project Beast

d0b8UMf.png

killroy87

He bet the farm on preventing SMM from reaching the top spot, and he lost everything, predictably. He chose... poorly.

Yup, spent all his energy trying to cockblock SMM instead of trying to sell MGS as the better choice. In all that bitching, I don't think at one point he tried to make a case as to why MGS should be there instead.

Fighting for MGSV brought back bad memories for Brad of fighting for RDR. It was actually quite similar to 2010 with Jeff thinking nothing came close to Mass Effect 2 and Brad being the only one with some passion for RDR. But the outcome was the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom