• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Way back during the PS2 era, I played a little Kingdom Hearts and was underwhelmed.

I watched the AGDQ speedrun of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD last night and it looked really good. I am now thinking of getting it, despite my large backlog.

Is there something wrong with me (beyond the obvious)?

Way back during the PS2 era, I played a little Kingdom Hearts and was underwhelmed.

I watched the AGDQ speedrun of Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD last night and it looked really good. I am now thinking of getting it, despite my large backlog.

Is there something wrong with me (beyond the obvious)?

All the really good stuff you saw in the speedrun is going to be spread over a game like 10-20 times its length.

I've never touched a Kingdom Hearts game so I have no idea what they're like.

Tan

I discovered the site through the Super Meat Boy blog, so I think I only really started following it in 2010.

Teddified

I first heard of them around when the new consoles were announced and they talked over the reveals. I watched a bunch of their stuff after that and was hooked.

daveo42

Banned
I knew of the site years ago, but didn't start following them until after I upped my podcasting game and started listening to the Bombcast in 2013. Been a good, but short, ride so far.

Meneses

I can't remember when it was, maybe 2011/12, but I discovered GB through one of those regular GAF threads about "what gaming podcasts do you recommend".

I had never listened to podcasts before that, but I was intrigued and decided to try a few, and Giant Bomb was the only one that actually stuck.

There was a time when I used to listen to 4 or 5 different podcasts to keep me busy until the following tuesday's Bombcast, but I stopped that when I realised I wasn't having any fun listening to them lol

Xater

My monitor can be displayed in portrait mode so hopefully the PC version has support for that.

Pretty sure it does.

Even if it does not, it's not a bad game by having a horizontal monitor. It's just due to the nature of how pinball tables are constructed that a vertical monitor is more natural.

I remember when I properly started following them towards the end of 2011 and this thread was only on #3 back then and they really started kicking off in 2012. Was the fanbase here really small back then or was it the silly Quick Look thread split that kept it slow?

Mature

Imagine not knowing a GB without Dan.
I started watching/listening almost the first day Dan started working there. My viewership is intrinsically tied to him, so I feel a kindred connection.

I did go back and listen/watch a lot of stuff from before him though.

Nope, you are not.

4djhsWZ.gif

BanGy.nz

Banned
It doesn't matter when you joined GiantBomb all that matters is that you did.

It totally matters, if you didn't join day 1 you're not a real fan and should be shamed.

I've never touched a Kingdom Hearts game so I have no idea what they're like.

They're very hit or miss. 1 is a pretty good introduction into the franchise, but kinda suffers from its mechanics being very archaic. Chain of Memories is a really cool game with a hybrid card based action system (before cards were super played out), but it can get a bit repetitive towards the end. The DS games, 358/2 Days and Coded, are ok, but each have their own major flaws. And the 3DS one I'm pretty mixed on since it does some cool things from an action gameplay front, but it feels like its just another piece of filler to hold the fans over for 3.

The best games in the series, Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Final Mix, are the peak of the franchise. Though BBS has some poor balancing due to the nature of its command list system being easily broken, it has by far the best narrative of the series and the best characters, and the combat is still really fun. KH2 Final Mix is, in my opinion, one of the greatest action games ever made. The amount of content that the Final Mix version added to KH2 is insane and they finally fixed the poor balancing that KH2 had by adding more difficult bosses in the main story and a new higher difficulty level which feels like what the game was originally balanced for. The superbosses on the hardest difficulty is some of the most fun and difficulty I've ever had with a game.

I could go really deep into the hoops and frustration I had to go through to play Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix before it was translated and released in the US, but it was so worth it

Tubobutts

I'm glad I didn't sign up for giantbomb.com until I had been following them for a few years because if I had registered immediately, my Giant Bomb name would be the same as my terrible GAF name and not the cool guy name I later came up with.

Lijik

this has probably been answered, but how did Patrick 'lose' when he beat 2/3 of Dan's levels?

When Inspector Gadget wins over Dr Claw, he's just keeping Dr Claw at bay for another week. Sure its a win, but next saturday here comes Dr Claw with some new scheme.

If Dr Claw ever won over Gadget, its fucking over, the world is his regardless of the 86 previous times Gadget has won.

Same logic on a smaller scale. All Dan wants is Patrick to say "I quit", as long as he achieves that goal past defeats mean nothing.

jaina

First Yahoo! News and now even Kotaku writes about it

I had heard about the popular Bombcast for years, but always imagined it as guys shouting obscenities at each other.
Then I watched the Ashen's Cricket QL via r/games and liked the people on it (Jeff, Vinny, Danny I think?). Around Christmas time 2013 I was searching for video game podcast fodder and tried the deliberations. Shortly afterwards the "end of 2013 from home" Bombcast with woodworking and stuff. Been following them ever since.

Megasoum

Banned
So I walked a bit over 42km in the last week (while on vacation)... Now I'm back at work and I'm having walk withdrawals lol...

I'm thinking about walking home from work (about 8k) so I could really use an early podcast today...

Basically what I'm saying is please help me Brad, you're my only hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom