• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
P3YkJxD.png

What were the Gundam series Austin recommended on the Beastcast in the last month or so? I'm considering Iron Blooded Orphans since Crunchyroll has a grip of them I can watch in the free trial.

I really need to play my copy, I downloaded it immediately after the QL but haven't got around to it yet.

don't it's a monster

you'll keep replaying levels to get better weapons

then use those better weapons to kill insects faster

then play the harder difficulties for even better weapons

it's a vicious cycle

it's ok though I unlocked the giant mecha as a regular drop for my air raider oh god I'm a monster

yami4ct

What were the Gundam series Austin recommended on the Beastcast in the last month or so? I'm considering Iron Blooded Orphans since Crunchyroll has a grip of them I can watch in the free trial.

The two are 08th MS team and 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are short OVA series, so I doubt CR has them. Their low commitment makes them easy to recommend. I think I feel safe recommending IBO now since its been so good so long. Just know that CR is a week behind on that show and the real simulcast is free on Daisuki.net

If your ready for a major gundam commitment, read Gundam The Origin. It's a manga remake of the original series and it's amazing. Color versions of the first 2 volumes and most of the 3rd are on comic-walker.com. The hardcovers are absolutely worth the cost IMO if you like it and want to keep going.

Bowlie

Banned

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, and Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS.

damn yami

neshcom

Banned
I got Cradle after hearing about it on GOTY and finished it today. The story is legit cool, though your motivation beyond "huh, I'm curious about your problems" is unclear.

And fuck those block games.

yami4ct

Gundam Thunderbolt is also a cool breezy Gundam thing one could watch to get a feel for things:

Gundam Thunderbolt is a beautiful weird thing and I'm sad it's going to just be a small web short series.

For those that don't know, it's set in an alternate version of the original Gundam timeline and isn't technically canon. It's weird and beautiful, though and worth watching. That use of jazz is fantastic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Between that PacMan trailer and the Star Wars RPG Kickstarter, 2016 is already off to a great start.
Go for your best everybody, go for your best

Zaph

I got Cradle after hearing about it on GOTY and finished it today. The story is legit cool, though your motivation beyond "huh, I'm curious about your problems" is unclear.

And fuck those block games.

Outstanding first hour - the detail of the hut is amazing, story immediately intriguing and the world promising. Then it slowly sinks in that the game is a back and forth fetch quest with that awful block game, has only two environments and the once promising story is actually just a whole bunch of halfbaked ideas thrown at the wall with no intention of connecting them or offering a satisfying conclusion.

Reading that the 'ending' video was completed two hours before launch was of no surprise.

edit: and the protagonist's voice acting had to be some text-to-speech robot metajoke, right? No human is that flat

Gundam Thunderbolt is also a cool quick Gundam thing one could watch to get a feel for things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAlkOHdNME

I saw the Gundam signal and answered.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, and Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS.

damn yami

The two are 08th MS team and 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are short OVA series, so I doubt CR has them. Their low commitment makes them easy to recommend. I think I feel safe recommending IBO now since its been so good so long. Just know that CR is a week behind on that show and the real simulcast is free on Daisuki.net

If your ready for a major gundam commitment, read Gundam The Origin. It's a manga remake of the original series and it's amazing. Color versions of the first 2 volumes and most of the 3rd are on comic-walker.com. The hardcovers are absolutely worth the cost IMO if you like it and want to keep going.

Thank you all. It's surprised me how expensive some of this can get.

don't it's a monster

you'll keep replaying levels to get better weapons

then use those better weapons to kill insects faster

then play the harder difficulties for even better weapons

it's a vicious cycle

it's ok though I unlocked the giant mecha as a regular drop for my air raider oh god I'm a monster

This sounds like exactly what I want out of an EDF game and now it has mechs!

yami4ct

Thank you all. It's surprised me how expensive some of this can get.

It's a lot better than where it was. The problem is Bandai used to release Gundam themselves through a North American branch called Bandai Entertainment. That went belly up in 2012 and for the longest time they've be putting their stuff out in random ways. That's why a ton of the older series they put out on DVD are so expensive now. Luckily, RightStuf picked up the home video license just this last year, so a lot of that older stuff is finally trickling out and they're also putting out stuff like Turn A that Bandai never bothered to when they were still licensing.

They're also way better about putt their series out on streaming in ways people can actually watch them.

neshcom

Banned
Outstanding first hour - the detail of the hut is amazing, story immediately intriguing and the world promising. Then it slowly sinks in that the game is a back and forth fetch quest with that awful block game, has only two environments and the once promising story is actually just a whole bunch of halfbaked ideas thrown at the wall with no intention of connecting them or offering a satisfying conclusion.

Reading that the 'ending' video was completed two hours before launch was of no surprise.

edit: and the protagonist's voice acting had to be some text-to-speech robot metajoke, right? No human is that flat

That...can't be possible, is it? (edit: oh my god, it kinda is holy crap) Though, the circumstances of the ending are really serendipitous. Granted, I kind of liked everything clicking into place somehow.

And yes, agreed at the player's voice being really disinterested. I kept thinking he
might be a robot because he doesn't die from tall falls or electricity or dark spirit things, but that world doesn't really have AIs, so...

I wonder if the achievements that hint at extra story bits are all in those set pieces or hidden in the open world.

It's a lot better than where it was. The problem is Bandai used to release Gundam themselves through a North American branch called Bandai Entertainment. That went belly up in 2012 and for the longest time they've be putting their stuff out in random ways. That's why a ton of the older series they put out on DVD are so expensive now. Luckily, RightStuf picked up the home video license just this last year, so a lot of that older stuff is finally trickling out and they're also putting out stuff like Turn A that Bandai never bothered to when they were still licensing.

They're also way better about putt their series out on streaming in ways people can actually watch them.

Yeah. Bandai is a company that realizes the anime is primarily there to sell the Gunpla, so it's usually extremely easy to stream the new stuff whether on youtube or some other site. IIRC Gundam Unicorn was like that.

Zaph

That...can't be possible, is it? (edit: oh my god, it is holy crap) Though, the circumstances of the ending are really serendipitous. Granted, I kind of liked everything clicking into place somehow.

And yes, agreed at the player's voice being really disinterested. I kept thinking he
might be a robot because he doesn't die from tall falls or electricity or dark spirit things, but that world doesn't really have AIs, so...

I wonder if the achievements that hint at extra story bits are all in those set pieces or hidden in the open world.

Can't remember where I read two hours, but the game's blog breaks down the ending and they say it was completed the day before release. http://flying-cafe.blogspot.co.uk/

Looks like the game had a very protracted development cycle and they just wanted to be done with the thing.

edit: ahh, you found it too

yami4ct

Yeah. Bandai is a company that realizes the anime is primarily there to sell the Gunpla, so it's usually extremely easy to stream the new stuff whether on youtube or some other site. IIRC Gundam Unicorn was like that.

Gundam Unicorn was an OVA and the only way to get it when it was first run was by renting each episode through a service like PSN or Amazon or paying through the nose for the import blu-ray. Their OVA of the flashback arc of the Origin is that way as well. They did put some of Unicorn up for a limited time when the last episode hit IIRC.

They do stream pretty much any new series for free, though. They're getting a ton better in that sense. The only one that got weird was G-Reco, and even that got on Hulu and some other services eventually.

alright like 'I guess I'll pay this rpg because there's no other jrpg out right now and it has final fantasy in the name and I have absolutely nothing else to do' alright
That sounds dangerously close to ffxiii.

Still, you're right, there isn't any decent current gen jrpg out there so I suppose I should give it a shot, even if Brad spoiled the game in the quick look.

Bowlie

Banned
Tell it to me true

How low should I set my expectations before playing final fantasy type 0

alright like the story isn't good (holy shit that final chapter), the gameplay does not bring nothing new to the table, and the characters are anime tropes.

I loved the world during the first hours, with all that political background, but it fell short after that. And there are some plot pieces/locations that you'll only see during the second or third playthrough.

edit: there are a lot of nice references to previous FFs though. Also, do you want a ninja chocobo? they got you covered!

He recommended War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team. But, I gotta say, I started watching the first Gundam series and I really like it. Now that I'm not a baby, I think I prefer the series where the gundam isn't just an all-powerful death machine.

also i bought a file set, gundam pens, and three more gunpla (hg zaku II, gouf, and shining gundam) pls send help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom