• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #19 | Patrick Wins 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Normal game alright.

You're also talking to the guy who likes FFXIII more than pretty much all the other FF games.

If you're looking for a current gen JRPG though, Tales of Zesteria I hear is pretty decent.

Tale of Zesteria is very much a Tales games in the most positive and negative ways. Its story is a mess, but I had a ton of fun with the cast. The battle system is initially really fun, but gets unbalanced at the end and the item skill system feels like it was pulled from another game and is hot trash. I liked the game a lot, but know what you're getting.

I would recommend Trails in the Sky and Trails of Cold Steel, but everyone int he GB thread has probably heard that enough and knows exactly where they stand on those.

He recommended War in the Pocket and 08th MS Team. But, I gotta say, I started watching the first Gundam series and I really like it. Now that I'm not a baby, I think I prefer the series where the gundam isn't just an all-powerful death machine.

also i bought a file set, gundam pens, and three more gunpla (hg zaku II, gouf, and shining gundam) pls send help

If you're liking the original series, check out the origin manga some day. I know I'm a broken record on it, but it's so good.

A file set? I don't even have one of those. I should probably get one. What HG Zaku II did you get? There's like a billion. Just the basic original one? I prefer some others, but that is by no means a bad kit.

Bowlie

Banned
It took me over 30 hours to understand fully the equipment system in ToZ, with the random skills, and how the drop changes according to the Normins and difficulty settings. But boy is feels good when everything is working together.

And it has the best cast since Abyss!

yami4ct

It took me over 30 hours to understand fully the equipment system in ToZ, with the random skills, and how the drop changes according to the Normins and difficulty settings. But boy is feels good when everything is working together.

And it has the best cast since Abyss!

Even when I understood the loot system, I thought it was bad. Way too grindy even with Normin. Tales games aren't loot games and a complicated loot based system doesn't really have a place, IMO. It also made your character progression feel RNG tied, which super duper sucks.

I agree on the cast. They're fantastic and the real saving grace of that game.

yami4ct

Brad and Jeff's SquareSpace ads are maybe reaching Small Businessman quality. I hope they keep this bit going, because it's pretty great.

If you're liking the original series, check out the origin manga some day. I know I'm a broken record on it, but it's so good.

A file set? I don't even have one of those. I should probably get one. What HG Zaku II did you get? There's like a billion. Just the basic original one? I prefer some others, but that is by no means a bad kit.

I have no idea. It has a gun. The problem with buying these is that I really don't know that many mobile suits, so I guess I just need to watch all gundam before I run out of ones I recognize.

yami4ct

I have no idea. It has a gun. The problem with buying these is that I really don't know that many mobile suits, so I guess I just need to watch all gundam before I run out of ones I recognize.

What kind of gun. Is it Red? Does it look like this?

HG-Gundam-the-Origin-Zaku-II-Char-image-2.jpg

The Origin version of the Zaku II is so awesome. I sure hope it gets a MG.

Bowlie

Banned
Even when I understood the loot system, I thought it was bad. Way too grindy even with Normin. Tales games aren't loot games and a complicated loot based system doesn't really have a place, IMO. It also made your character progression feel RNG tied, which super duper sucks.

I get that. I also feel it's too borderland-y, and I didn't expect that in a Tales game. But I'm happy they moved from the old system, where every next equipment is better, and you have your elemental sidegrades.

My only gripe with it is that the UI they created for it is nonintuitive.

SlickVic

I played Until Dawn last week; good game but the atmosphere was almost done too well as it spooked multiple times.

I'm now watching the GBE Playdate for it and loving how a game that was scaring me before has been turned into good old fashioned Giant Bomb humor. We may not get an Endurance Run again, but this has been the next best thing for me.

yami4ct

No, it's green and has the zaku machine gun. I think it's from the first show.

That's the normal Zaku II then. There's that, there's Char's Zaku which is red and has a horn and there's Char's Zaku II from The Origin which has more badass weapons, more details, and a design I find more pleasing overall. Sad they haven't released The Origin's version of the normal ZII. Normal kit is a classic design, so it's by no means bad.

Is that a Gundam or a 40k Space Marine?

Space WWII is a design that transcends nations. Seems to be the base idea for pretty much every space fantasy.

Those robots look so cool but i have no idea where to start with gundam

It all depends on how much commitment you want to make. Are you willing to read a huge 12 volume manga? Then The Origin is the way to go. It's an amazing remake of the original.

If you want something shorter, go with 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are relatively short OVAs and are very good. They're very different from the typical gundam, because both focus on the ground force grunts, but they give you a good feel for the universe.

If you want to join an ongoing conversation, Iron-blooded orphans is its own new timeline and divorced from everything, so you can just pick that up as it's going now. It's streaming for free on daisuki.net. If you want to start from the beginning, but don't want to take the time with the manga, the film trilogy adaptation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam is OK.

popo

HOLY SHIT

I just had my very own Phoenix Down moment listening to the podcast...

Watch_Dogs...CT OS... City OS...

FML

I don't think that is official. You might be smarter than the devs. AFAIK it stands for Central Operating System in the game.

danm999

Oh shit there's a near 4 hour Ryckert cast? I only just finished the Beastcast.

At this rate I'm never going to be up to date with Giant Bomb stuff.

It all depends on how much commitment you want to make. Are you willing to read a huge 12 volume manga? Then The Origin is the way to go. It's an amazing remake of the original.

If you want something shorter, go with 08th MS Team and 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are relatively short OVAs and are very good. They're very different from the typical gundam, because both focus on the ground force grunts, but they give you a good feel for the universe.

If you want to join an ongoing conversation, Iron-blooded orphans is its own new timeline and divorced from everything, so you can just pick that up as it's going now. It's streaming for free on daisuki.net. If you want to start from the beginning, but don't want to take the time with the manga, the film trilogy adaptation of the original Mobile Suit Gundam is OK.
Guess ill start with War in the Pocket then, thanks.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit there's a near 4 hour Ryckert cast? I only just finished the Beastcast.

At this rate I'm never going to be up to date with Giant Bomb stuff.

No no no, you're never going to run out of Giant Bomb stuff.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
There any music talk like last year? That was my favorite bit. Started listening to the Faces after hearing you guys talk about them.

Nah. He started a couple of times but I cut him off and took those parts out. I figure it's a very small amount of the viewership (listenership?) that wants to hear us talk about old dude rock.

yami4ct

I was wondering why each volume was running for like $25 on amazon.

They are hardcover volumes. They run about 2x the length of a normal soft back, have much larger pages (Think normal hardcover book size pages, not normal GN sized) and each volume has a special contribution from a famous Japanese creator talking about the series. The first volume for instance has an short essay by Hideaki Anno about how important the series is. The final volume has a massive postmortem with the author talking about what it was like writing the series. There's also a special manga by the guy who wrote Ushio and Tora about how much he was inspired by the original series. Lots of stuff like that. They are a fantastic set. Vertical did a great job.

All this Origin talk reminds me I still have yet to buy the MG RX-78 Origin. I really need to get that. It's too good.

Probably going to add it to my next shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom