• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the big N had a conference this year I would watch it without the riffs and watch the riffs later. I don't really give a shit about the other conferences so riff-plus they go.

The only way I'll watch Nintendo's direct is with riffs

I can't be bothered otherwise. Xbox...so-so. Sony is where all the magic is at, always.

Jintor

Oh, right. I loved the fake MMO stuff, like getting everyday emails about the characters daily lives, or Mistral turning out to be a mom. You know, that familiarity and closeness you get with online friends, without ever physically meeting them, could be an an interesting focus for a VR game. But I guess Summer Lesson is doing something like that? Maybe fitting inside a game-within-a-game would "sell it" better.

i've always wanted a singleplayer RPG set in an MMO, are you telling me that's what .hack games were all this time

DamnBoxes

"Yeah, now that the stars have been collected, what will happen on this board. Oh. It's stupid."

m4F3Adb.png

yami4ct

Oh, right. I loved the fake MMO stuff, like getting everyday emails about the characters daily lives, or Mistral turning out to be a mom. You know, that familiarity and closeness you get with online friends, without ever physically meeting them, could be an an interesting focus for a VR game. But I guess Summer Lesson is doing something like that? Maybe fitting inside a game-within-a-game would "sell it" better.

.hack selling its world through the use of weird outside stuff is completely what makes those games amazing. Whether it's simple stuff like getting hints for a quest or cool item from a random dude on a board or it's stuff like realizing one of the people posting on the board was an alt account of someone you knew in game all really added an amazing feeling of discovery and authenticity to it all. Slowly revealing bits of the characters real lives through that stuff really sold those stories really well.

Then you add in the fact that watching the anime kind of added stuff to the world as well and the whole thing became this big giant cool world the likes of which kind of hadn't existed before then and is still pretty unique now.

The only games I want to see are WiLd and For Honor so I'm actually kind of looking forward to it.

How is For Honor still not out? I was under the impression that game was actually largely done.

Fake message boards and everything. Fantastic games, especially the GU series.

I really should get around to the GU stuff. I played a bit of the first one and bounced off it. I really wish I had bought those games because their prices now days are insane.

TraBuch

Banned
I really should get around to the GU stuff. I played a bit of the first one and bounced off it. I really wish I had bought those games because their prices now days are insane.
I used to own just about every PS2 JRPG released in NA but I sold them all for quite a bit of money back during an emergency. The only games I regret selling are the .hack games. And Shadow Hearts, I guess.

And yeah, from a game standpoint, GU is better than the original four in just about every way. The story is subjective, obviously, but I liked it and the characters just as much.

yami4ct

you're selling me on dot hack pretty hard here

As games, they aren't great. The randomized areas feel randomized and the questing and combat are pretty boring.

They are one of the few game series that I think can get past the game part being kind of mediocre to bad purely through style and fantastic world building.

They are also fairly short. You can get through each of the first 4 entries in 15-20 hours a piece if you aren't being a completionist. They add up to basically being 1 normal sized JRPG.

Salarians

I have very fond memories of .hack//SIGN, the original four games, and the OVA that came with them. Though, for the games, it was primarily the narrative. The music and the boss designs were the other main highlight. I remember the actual game parts being kind of a slog.

G.U. was a much better game but I didn't like the story as much. Still very much worth playing if you enjoyed the preceding stuff. Can't speak for anything else in the series.

Just a really cool, unique series all around that seems to have been forgotten.

Edit:
One of my favorite pieces of music from G.U.

yami4ct

I have very fond memories of .hack//SIGN, the original four games, and the OVA that came with them. Though, for the games, it was primarily the narrative. The music and the boss designs were the other main highlight. I remember the actual game parts being kind of a slog.

G.U. was a much better game but I didn't like the story as much. Still very much worth playing if you enjoyed the preceding stuff. Can't speak for anything else in the series.

Just a really cool, unique series all around that seems to have been forgotten.

It occasionally gets a new OVA, it's had a few phone games and just got a crossover with the SAO mobile game this year. It also got a (bad) fighting game in 2012.

The franchise isn't dead to CC2 yet and there's always hope they'll give it a full go again.

Salarians

It occasionally gets a new OVA, it's had a few phone games and just got a crossover with the SAO mobile game this year. It also got a (bad) fighting game in 2012.

The franchise isn't dead to CC2 yet and there's always hope they'll give it a full go again.
Man, another .hack game... the might just be my "Shenmue 3". After Jet Set Radio Future 2, of course.

yami4ct

Man, another .hack game... the might just be my "Shenmue 3". After Jet Set Radio Future 2, of course.

CC2 has confirmed they have multiple console projects in the works right now in addition to Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I believe they've confirmed they've got stuff outside of their Naruto games in the works as well.

There's always hope and that particular genre of story has never been hotter.

was the writing better or worse than the show

Well, the localization makes it almost unreadable. So that's an improvement.

yami4ct

I will espouse .hacks merits to anyone that will listen, but you will never hear me claim those games played well. They were functional at best.

TraBuch

Banned
I will espouse .hacks merits to anyone that will listen, but you will never hear me claim those games played well. They were functional at best.
GU was a perfectly fine action RPG. Especially once you got the ability to switch weapons mid-battle, and mid-combo iirc.

yami4ct

GU was a perfectly fine action RPG. Especially once you got the ability to switch weapons mid-battle, and mid-combo iirc.

From what I played of GU, it was definitely serviceable. It wasn't anything particularly notable, but it wasn't bad either. The combat just was never the reason to dig those games. It was just the thing you did until you got to do the part you actually wanted to do.

Teddified

I dunno if you noticed but the .hack//GU games are some of my favorite PS2 games.

I basically 100 percented all the games, and used an action replay to get tons of the mail things so I could send one to every character and see all the "wedding" scenes.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GB really needs to do more console specific streams. Those are the best. The CD-I one, the Neo Geo one, the 3DO one.

Do a Jaguar stream.

daydream

Banned
daydream, you need to include Rhythm Heaven whenever you talk about megamix, because I always end up thinking that you're talking about Fighter's Megamix, a much better game

hornet was better in daytona and is way over its head in a fighting game that is only notable because of its wacky placement in it

what a step down that was for AM2

jaina

Time to stop using disc.
I currently have this weird obsession to never use the disc drive on my PS4.
Locks me out of cheap second hand copies, which is why I call it an obsession.

So are y'all watching the GB feed of the pressers or the direct feed first and then the GB feed a day or so later? I love the GB commented videos but the first time around I want to purely #engage #with #brands and be snarky myself. There's always time for GB's snark but not the first time.
First the GB feed and then the interesting trailers in high quality on my own. I'll also follow Volotaire's catch-up thread.
In the remaining year I will be rewatching the conferences in random fake? reaction videos (sorry I'm that audience).

robotrock

Banned
I wonder what the live show set up is this year.

The thing they did last year where it was just Jeff and a few guests made sense and it was probably the most effective way to do things, but I preferred the format of the other years.

Maybe it would be perfect if it was Jeff + one other giant bomb guy + the guests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom