• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it has anything to do with the game, or an Overwatch defense force. So them being positive on the game doesn't matter at all to that discussion. If you look at the comment section it's the same old get politics out of my gaming content arguments from a lot of people, the game they're talking about is irrelevant and the response probably would've been the same from certain people regardless of games. I've been in enough of these comment sections on GB to recognize that it's mostly the same people with the same arguments every time.

Im groggy so my apologies and on my phone

But austin tweeted that theyve gotten negative reception from simply talking/being positive about Overwatch because they enjoyed it

He was surprised that when they were critical about the game(re:skins) people continued to be negative(not because "sjw" stuff, but because they keep talking about Overwatch) which was disheartening because they really like the game and cant talk about it

Maybe I misinterpreted the tweets but the way Ive seen people on GAF be against the overwatch talk and wanting to actively skip it in both the Beast and West casts seemed to hit a similar note that Austin is talking about.

SomberOwl

I'd rather have an Oblivion remaster. In my opinion it's better than Skyrim. Also hopefully for people that plan on getting a Skyrim remaster they sped up the loading times significantly. After 200 hours having to go through 3-4 different long loading screens to get to where you were going was a major drag.

TraBuch

Banned

But austin tweeted that theyve gotten negative reception from simply talking/being positive about Overwatch because they enjoyed it

He was surprised that when they were critical about the game(re:skins) people continued to be negative(not because "sjw" stuff, but because they keep talking about Overwatch) which was disheartening because they really like the game and cant talk about it

Maybe I misinterpreted the tweets but the way Ive seen people on GAF be against the overwatch talk and wanting to actively skip it in both the Beast and West casts seemed to hit a similar note that Austin is talking about.
I mean...I find it boring, why shouldn't I skip it? I skip Call of Duty talk because I don't care about Call of Duty. I skipped all that Clash Royale talk. I skipped Destiny.

People start moaning when they talk about any game more than half an hour. They should let that shit run off their back and just do what they do.

The attention span of the vocal minority of Giant Bomb users is pretty low.

It's only through the prolonged discussion of games that we really get into what they are all about.

While often positive, GB's coverage of Overwatch has shown me that it's a really cool game that's way more shallow than the initial high you get from playing it for the first few hours. That's just me reading between the lines and interpreting discussion. I'd have never gotten that if they only talked about it for 20 minutes one week.

The best thing for me about GB is they don't shut the fuck up about any topic.

I mean...I find it boring, why shouldn't I skip it? I skip Call of Duty talk because I don't care about Call of Duty. I skipped all that Clash Royale talk. I skipped Destiny.
Nothing wrong with skipping it, whining about them discussing a game they really like it just silly though.

Myggen

Yeah you might be right, but there was some of the stuff I mentioned too with how he wrote about people complaining that they`re even talking about social issues etc.

imBask

Banned
The game has 7M active players and came out like a week ago. I'm fairly confident the people complaining are a vocal minority

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People start moaning when they talk about any game more than half an hour. They should let that shit run off their back and just do what they do.

The attention span of the vocal minority of Giant Bomb users is pretty low.

It's only through the prolonged discussion of games that we really get into what they are all about.

While often positive, GB's coverage of Overwatch has shown me that it's a really cool game that's way more shallow than the initial high you get from playing it for the first few hours. That's just me reading between the lines and interpreting discussion. I'd have never gotten that if they only talked about it for 20 minutes one week.

The best thing for me about GB is they don't shut the fuck up about any topic.

I really don't see how you can read that from what they said.

kiguel182

Those Austin tweets just show me why I like him so much and why he is such an important part of GB.

And yeah, those issues will always happen and it's important to keep addressing and discussing them. Discussing mediums beyond "it's fun" it's one of the most interesting discussions you can have about them and I'm glad they keep pushing to do it.

Anyway, Austin is awesome and it sucks that people reacted so negatively to a pretty interesting discussion they had.

It bums me out when Austin is bummed out. I'm fine with the crew talking about what they enjoy at whatever length they like, and I think that Overwatch is interesting because its characters and gameplay combine in enough ways to make fun stories.

As far as the "political" stuff, if that's what the staff are passionate about, I'm fine with them talking about it too! If we can talk about problematic things in movies, shows, art, books, etc, games should be looked at with a critical eye, too.

Obviously people can skip things if they want, just seems aggressive to boast about it or demand changes. It's fine to not be 150% interested in every second of a 9000 second podcast.

For example, I don't care about trucking, but I care that THEY care about it. It's why I listen.

it's actually deceptively complicated, especially as it starts matching you against better opponents. for a game with like 6 maps and 3 powers per character, it turns into a really dynamic thing

I really don't see how you can read that from what they said.

Everyone draws their own conclusions from discussions so I'm not surprised. That's the beauty of GB's content.

They love the game but their discussions made me think it's not the game for me and it was only because they kicked the topic to death.

None of them said outright it was a shallow game, but that's what I personally pieced together from all the discussion.

Meneses

I won't complain about Overwatch talk because earlier this year I enjoyed The Witness talk and a lot of people couldn't stand it, so i've been on both sides (as most people are at some point, I suppose).

Then there was The Division, and you could tell that Beast got a bit self conscious about it when people started complaining. There will always be something like this.

I definitely won't be mad about it (it's such a stupid concept, people getting mad that someone isn't catering to their exact tastes), but I will just say that Overwatch talk is immediate "skip ahead" or "close the page" material for me, because by now it devolves into rehashing what was said before and people telling anecdotes about the best plays or characters of a game I have no interest in.

Funnily enough, the Skins conversation on the Beastcast was fine because it wasn't just a bunch of "yo, I did this with that dude and there was a guy with some other dude that did x,y and z and woah! that shit was dope, man, I got play of the game and then some mad loot".

We have a saying back home: "Quem está mal, que se mude", which roughly translates to "If you don't like it, gtfo". I don't think it's hard for people to just skip ahead when a subject they don't like comes on, instead of complaining forever. It makes people feel bad about feeling good about something, and that's shitty.

Yeah like

When they talk about Mario Maker or the McElroys I dont post or say "RRRRRR IM GOING TO SKIP THIS". Even if I dont like it, I listen to it because hey, its fun hearing them dissertate over something. And if I did skip it, I wouldnt be proclaiming it to the world about how much that chat annoys me.

TraBuch

Banned
That Injustice 2 promo picture is stupid. The fuck is Batman gonna do against The Flash with kryptonite?

Yeah like

When they talk about Mario Maker or the McElroys I dont post or say "RRRRRR IM GOING TO SKIP THIS". Even if I dont like it, I listen to it because hey, its fun hearing them dissertate over something. And if I did skip it, I wouldnt be proclaiming it to the world about how much that chat annoys me.
When do they talk about the McElroys? Link and timestamp plz.

Didn't people have the same complaints for Division/Destiny (i remember being one of them)/any game they enjoy and play more than a week?

That Injustice 2 promo picture is stupid. The fuck is Batman gonna do against The Flash with kryptonite?

Kryptonite has been used as a power source by a lot of people in the comic book universe. Power armor maybe. Or just the stylized glow they decided to give batman.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the beast crew gets a bit too self conscious with talking about games. You can tell the west didn't give a fuck and that's what the east should do.

Everyone draws their own conclusions from discussions so I'm not surprised. That's the beauty of GB's content.

They love the game but their discussions made me think it's not the game for me and it was only because they kicked the topic to death.

None of them said outright it was a shallow game, but that's what I personally pieced together from all the discussion.

I've played for 30-ish hours, and I'm still learning/realizing new things pretty frequently.

"Oh, that's a good place for a turret!"
"Maybe I should damage boost a little more at the beginning of the match when Reinhardt's shield is blocking damage."
"I didn't know this pathway/alcove was here."
"Genji's dash recharges when he kills someone"
"Don't go this way or Lucio will knock me off the stage"

For me at least, there's a tangible sense of improvement even still.

Destiny I can understand because they always made it sound like they didn't like the game or the fact they were still playing it.

I mean it became a running joke they played up to (as did the audience "OH BRAD" etc) but no other outlet provided a deeper look at Destiny, one of the industries biggest and most popular games, than Giant Bomb.

That thread about the video podcasts was 99% bullshit but I did chuckle at the one one guy whining about how much time they spent on the crying king emoji in Clash Royale.

Xater

Also before anyone says anything regarding my last post

Yes I dislike the McElroys

No I wont skip discussion when GB talks about them

The only McElroy content I need is Justin's update on the newest Sherlock Holmes game.

That thread about the video podcasts was 99% bullshit but I did chuckle at the one one guy whining about how much time they spent on the crying king emoji in Clash Royale.

Please tell me someone responded to him with that emote. Otherwise what a missed opportunity.

Myggen

The only McElroy content I need is Justin's update on the newest Sherlock Holmes game.

Last year was the first year Justin wasn`t on an E3 cast because he wasn`t at E3, hopefully he`s going this year!

edit I actually think Justin was the only one who had been on an E3 cast every year up until then. Dan broke his streak the year he joined GB since he took a vacation around E3.

LiK

Stop talking about a video game you're enjoying because I have no interest and I dunno how to fast forward a podcast!

If I were at a computer I could post stupid comic panels of how overpowered The Flash is and how stupid The Flash is. It contradicts itself since Flash can think at super speeds and was a scientist prior to getting his abilities. Basically, if the game wanted to be true, every match with The Flash turns into the car smashing stages of Street Fighter 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom