• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jason Oestreicher ‏@unastrike 5m5 minutes ago
So that Overwatch stream was fun... and humbling.

Myggen

Xavier Woods?

He was on last year and it`s pretty obvious that he`ll be on this year, he pretty much confirmed it on Instagram. Would be strange to tease it like that if it`s him.

Anyways, don`t really care about A BIG UNKNOWN GUEST. As long as they have interesting guests on like last year I`m good, and Alex seems really happy with the lineup.

Fobwashed

Hey duders. A couple quick things -_-;;

I felt like this multiplayer stream could be a cool opportunity to get some gb community ppl to play against gb rather than internet randos. I also wanted to make sure the mods got first game since on the site proper, they're what holds the community there together. I know attitudes towards them may be different here but that's how I feel.

Second team I grabbed some ppl from the community that ppl may know due to their contributions to the site. And immediately after that, I noticed that shit was going sideways when it came to inviting people off the list I put together from the forums...

3rd game and on was straight community and I tried the forum list again but it was going nowhere. I thought maybe it was just that the ppl weren't online and in-game or something but it seemed like something else was going on. At that point, I thought it'd be best just to start plugging in ppl from chat because they'd definitely be at their comps and in-game. Still ran into a lotta problems...

In any case, seemed like some ppl were sour on the whole thing but I dunno. I did the best I could given the situation. Hope most of you enjoyed the stream and maybe even got into one of those games =]

Lunar FC

I didn't care for last years E3 night shows all that much. Preferred it when it was like 3-4 GB guys and 2-3 guests rather than Jeff just interviewing everybody.

I don't think we were sour at all Fob! I think it was inevitable that they were going to get their shit pushed in most of the time.

And I thought your camera work was excellent!

So who do we actually think that one big guest is for the GB E3 night show? Someone that Bakalar would get that excited over.
Either a wrestler higher up the pecking order than Woods, or someone that the Sony bloc have access to (Boyes, Drake, Kessler) that isn't Yoshida because he's already been on.

Mark Cerny? Dunno. Tricky to read Bakalar sometimes.

Myggen

I felt like this multiplayer stream could be a cool opportunity to get some gb community ppl to play against gb rather than internet randos. I also wanted to make sure the mods got first game since on the site proper, they're what holds the community there together. I know attitudes towards them may be different here but that's how I feel.

Second team I grabbed some ppl from the community that ppl may know due to their contributions to the site. And immediately after that, I noticed that shit was going sideways when it came to inviting people off the list I put together from the forums...

3rd game and on was straight community and I tried the forum list again but it was going nowhere. I thought maybe it was just that the ppl weren't online and in-game or something but it seemed like something else was going on. At that point, I thought it'd be best just to start plugging in ppl from chat because they'd definitely be at their comps and in-game. Still ran into a lotta problems...

In any case, seemed like some ppl were sour on the whole thing but I dunno. I did the best I could given the situation. Hope most of you enjoyed the stream and maybe even got into one of those games =]

You did great. It seemed like some problems on Blizzard`s end to me.

Xeteh

Don't stress Steve, only shitty thing about it was the invites were bugged. I was the first person you tried to invite after that second group and it never came through, nothing you could really do about it.

Ach, don't worry about it. You did a great job and culling the TNT list every single week was clearly a nightmare for Ryan back in the day.

I went to bed like 10 mins before you posted in here and when I woke up, a million people had posted their tags already. In a way, you saved me (and others) from the sheer guilt of stomping all over the crew... ;)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Either a wrestler higher up the pecking order than Woods, or someone that the Sony bloc have access to (Boyes, Drake, Kessler) that isn't Yoshida because he's already been on.

Mark Cerny? Dunno. Tricky to read Bakalar sometimes.

It has to be like Lupe Fiasco (played SFV against Diago recently), or a similar level gaming celebrity. A person who is actually a celebrity outside of the gaming sphere would elicit that kind of reaction.

You were in a tough spot and did a hell of a job. Stream was great!

def sim

nah it was fine, fobwashed

battle.net acting up can't be helped and giant bomb losing against community members was the norm in tnt

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It has to be like Lupe Fiasco (played SFV against Diago recently), or a similar level gaming celebrity. A person who is actually a celebrity outside of the gaming sphere would elicit that kind of reaction.

I'd say Xavier Woods is a bigger 'celebrity' than Lupe Fiasco in 2016

mintyice

Thanks for the invite! :)

Zaph

too late, we've already dubbed this groupgate

Myggen

I didn't care for last years E3 night shows all that much. Preferred it when it was like 3-4 GB guys and 2-3 guests rather than Jeff just interviewing everybody.

Opinions on this will obviously always be mixed, but I feel like the general reaction to last year`s setup was really positive which is probably why they seem to be going with that again this year.

And I think the crew`s perspective is less needed on the night shows now that we have their reaction streams with the Talking Over stuff and the pre and post conference talk they do there. I prefer them doing strange mixes of guests together with Jeff interviewing, and then bringing in GB staffers when it fits (like bringing in Dan if Xavier Wood`s there, or others if it`s friends of the site there etc. Mark as a friend of the site during the Destiny segment was good too last year).

There`s no perfect way of doing this because it will always be chaotic by nature, but last year struck a nice balance for me.

Could be Conan O'Brien he is always at E3 and has his gaming segments.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Going to be 100% honest with you guys here

I've never liked any of the convention stuff. PAX, E3, whatever else where they put out a bunch of content with a ton of people on it? Just too chaotic for me. It's pretty the one time where I barely watch any of their content.

Xeteh

I've never liked any of the convention stuff. PAX, E3, whatever else where they put out a bunch of content with a ton of people on it? Just too chaotic for me. It's pretty the one time where I barely watch any of their content.

Damn, that's crazy to me. Their E3 stuff is something I look forward to each year. It hits a bunch of different notes, sometimes its them talking casual with developers and what not about their games... other times its them with friends in the industry just shooting the shit, I find it all entertaining. To each his own, though!

Chuck

Still without luck
I think you did a great job overall. I really liked the spectating and hope it finds a way onto the GB site since just watching Vinny play might be kinda boring. Maybe someone can mash them together.

And yeah I don't know what the deal with invites not working. Just persuade the duders to do something like this again soon!

Opinions on this will obviously always be mixed, but I feel like the general reaction to last year`s setup was really positive which is probably why they seem to be going with that again this year.

And I think the crew`s perspective is less needed on the night shows now that we have their reaction streams with the Talking Over stuff and the pre and post conference talk they do there. I prefer them doing strange mixes of guests together with Jeff interviewing, and then bringing in GB staffers when it fits (like bringing in Dan if Xavier Wood`s there, or others if it`s friends of the sites there etc. Mark as a friend of the site during the Destiny segment was good too last year).

There`s no perfect way of doing this because it will always be chaotic by nature, but last year struck a nice balance for me.

I can see benefits both ways, though I remember feeling last year like I wanted to see a little bit more of the GB crew. My biggest bummer last year was Mikey Neumann (who's fine!) sort of dominate his segment, while Griffin (and Justin?) McElroy was on the same panel and didn't get to say much. I think that was last year, at least? Maybe the year before.

Lunar FC

And I think the crew`s perspective is less needed on the night shows now that we have their reaction streams with the Talking Over stuff and the pre and post conference talk they do there. I prefer them doing strange mixes of guests together with Jeff interviewing, and then bringing in GB staffers when it fits (like bringing in Dan if Xavier Wood`s there, or others if it`s friends of the site there etc. Mark as a friend of the site during the Destiny segment was good too last year).

I understand the reasons for the change. But, for me personally, it was the 2013 E3 shows are really got me into GB. Before that I would just watch QLs of games I was interested in. I kind of miss the even more chaotic nature of the shows back then to the rather highly produced thing they are now.

I agree with you, but I make an exception with E3 because they're not the ones hosting, so it's a little more controlled and professional.

I don't like the LOL So Random humor of the PAX Panels and the like. I need a little more structure.

Myggen

I can see benefits both ways, though I remember feeling last year like I wanted to see a little bit more of the GB crew. My biggest bummer last year was Mikey Neumann (who's fine!) sort of dominate his segment, while Griffin (and Justin?) McElroy was on the same panel and didn't get to say much. I think that was last year, at least? Maybe the year before.

That was the year before, last year was the first time Justin wasn`t on a GB E3 panel because he skipped E3. And that year was chaotic as hell with too many guests, last year was a reaction to that.

Myggen

I just don't give a fuck about trailers. Rorie and that mod post a million to the site and no one cares.

They`ve stopped posting trailers on the site outside of E3, I would be surprised if they don`t continue that during E3 too now.

edit And yeah, as Zaph says, if they do post trailers during E3 despite that it`s because they`ve got the data to back up that people care.

Don't worry about it, Fobwashed! This isn't the first time Battle.net 2.0 has sucked and it won't be the last time, either. Not much can be done when things are out of your hands.

It was great of you to organise the whole thing to begin with. Like personally, I really enjoyed having even the smallest chance of playing against the duders... it certainly invested me in their defeat. And I can only imagine a lot of people share a similar sentiment as me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom