• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be 100% honest with you guys here

I've never liked any of the convention stuff. PAX, E3, whatever else where they put out a bunch of content with a ton of people on it? Just too chaotic for me. It's pretty the one time where I barely watch any of their content.

E3 is top tier Giant Bomb, especially the interview format of last year.

For me, the PAX panels are a mess and while I appreciate Jeff's ability to wing it, they just come across as really bad Bombcasts with worse audio.

Mario Party LIVE was pretty good though.

Also I noticed a couple of trailers go up this week so I assume they are doing E3 trailers. I like E3 trailers tbh.

FStop7

Banned
Going to be 100% honest with you guys here

I've never liked any of the convention stuff. PAX, E3, whatever else where they put out a bunch of content with a ton of people on it? Just too chaotic for me. It's pretty the one time where I barely watch any of their content.

I like the new format of watching the press conferences remotely so they can comment on them as things happen. It solved the biggest problem with previous E3 coverage, where the crew would be scrambling all day long to attend press conferences and then after an exhausting day they'd have to go back to their location and do live shows with guests, and then maybe do a wrap up of the day's announcements.

I like the interview format, too.

The only thing I didn't care for was the Dave Lang / Johnny V / Boyes stuff from last year. That stuff was just as bad as the infamous Leigh Alexander appearances. Drunk people acting like dipshits isn't funny.

Deadstar

Damn, that's crazy to me. Their E3 stuff is something I look forward to each year. It hits a bunch of different notes, sometimes its them talking casual with developers and what not about their games... other times its them with friends in the industry just shooting the shit, I find it all entertaining. To each his own, though!

Giant Bomb's E3 content is generally the bet content they put out other than Hitman. Having Lorn Lanning on last year was incredible and the highlight of E3.

Hey duders. A couple quick things -_-;;

I felt like this multiplayer stream could be a cool opportunity to get some gb community ppl to play against gb rather than internet randos. I also wanted to make sure the mods got first game since on the site proper, they're what holds the community there together. I know attitudes towards them may be different here but that's how I feel.

Second team I grabbed some ppl from the community that ppl may know due to their contributions to the site. And immediately after that, I noticed that shit was going sideways when it came to inviting people off the list I put together from the forums...

3rd game and on was straight community and I tried the forum list again but it was going nowhere. I thought maybe it was just that the ppl weren't online and in-game or something but it seemed like something else was going on. At that point, I thought it'd be best just to start plugging in ppl from chat because they'd definitely be at their comps and in-game. Still ran into a lotta problems...

In any case, seemed like some ppl were sour on the whole thing but I dunno. I did the best I could given the situation. Hope most of you enjoyed the stream and maybe even got into one of those games =]

You did a great job duder! Thanks for putting in the effort to make it fun!

Zaph

Live drive tomorrow. Getting hyped!

It's a shame Dan is skipping it this year, but I hope Danny will pick up the slack on Periscope.

Deadstar

Hey duders. A couple quick things -_-;;

I felt like this multiplayer stream could be a cool opportunity to get some gb community ppl to play against gb rather than internet randos. I also wanted to make sure the mods got first game since on the site proper, they're what holds the community there together. I know attitudes towards them may be different here but that's how I feel.

Second team I grabbed some ppl from the community that ppl may know due to their contributions to the site. And immediately after that, I noticed that shit was going sideways when it came to inviting people off the list I put together from the forums...

3rd game and on was straight community and I tried the forum list again but it was going nowhere. I thought maybe it was just that the ppl weren't online and in-game or something but it seemed like something else was going on. At that point, I thought it'd be best just to start plugging in ppl from chat because they'd definitely be at their comps and in-game. Still ran into a lotta problems...

In any case, seemed like some ppl were sour on the whole thing but I dunno. I did the best I could given the situation. Hope most of you enjoyed the stream and maybe even got into one of those games =]

Yeah nice job putting all that stuff together. It was pretty fun to watch. Wish the guys would have won a few matches. It seems like they were afraid to use bastion on defense for some reason. There's no shame in that.

Deadstar

Bastion shaming got to them. Vinny mentioned it on the Beastcast before.

That's what I was thinking but bastion is one of the characters in the game. Who cares if you use him? Especially when the one team went 2/3 bastions and 2 mercy's. They should have tried to set up a bastion to counter. There's no shame in using characters from the game. Bastion is one of my favorite characters. He isn't overpowered, you just need to be aware of where he is set up. Junkrat wrecks him.

Alucrid

Banned
That's what I was thinking but bastion is one of the characters in the game. Who cares if you use him? Especially when the one team went 2/3 bastions and 2 mercy's. They should have tried to set up a bastion to counter. There's no shame in using characters from the game. Bastion is one of my favorite characters. He isn't overpowered, you just need to be aware of where he is set up. Junkrat wrecks him.

bastion ain't a counter to bastion. hell, if the other bastion is decent you'll be ripped to shreds while setting up in turret mode.

Yeah but it's hard to think that way when you have everyone on the corners of the internet rolling their eyes at the sight of Bastion. You almost feel guilty playing that character and that doesn't make a game any fun.

Half the reason I resented playing Pyro is because people reacted like that. But that would fall to the wayside if I had my gleeful murder runs with the Degreaser and Axtinguisher.

Deadstar

Yeah but it's hard to think that way when you have everyone on the corners of the internet rolling their eyes at the sight of Bastion. You almost feel guilty playing that character and that doesn't make a game any fun.

Half the reason I resented playing Pyro is because people reacted like that. But that would fall to the wayside if I had my gleeful murder runs with the Degreaser and Axtinguisher.

Bastion is not overpowered. He's stuck in place and can only fire at one target at a time. Vinny destroyed the bastions a few times with genji which is an easy way to do that. They just needed to coordinate to take them out or try to snipe them. My feeling is that bastion isn't cheap or overpowered, you just have to know how to deal with him. They could have used reaper to get behind the bastions and blast them that way, or sniped them or used genji as vinny did. They could have tried hiding behind the payload too since it heals you.

At looong range, snipers or Genji work well against Bastion. At medium range it's a bit of a wash; rocketing or grenading from a corner is probably your best best. At short range, D.va, Roadhog, Reaper, McCree, maybe even Reinhardt can all deal with Bastion instantly, provided he's not looking at them.

Bastion's biggest strength is knowing where you're attacking from. Take that away and Bastion is suddenly a lot less threatening. This is the main reason why he's so good against novice players--they don't know to try other routes, or other strategies, and their teamwork is generally lacklustre.

He will seem incredibly strong when you first start playing, but once you actually use him and see how easily he crumbles to decent flanking his situation becomes a whole lot more understandable.
There is going to be so much GT/GB bait in the Gaming thread - I hope this one doesn't get locked.

What Gran Turismo game are they up to now, anyways? 7, or is it 8?
NinjaEdit: Oh, sport. Like, obviously.

Myggen

There is going to be so much GT/GB bait in the Gaming thread - I hope this one doesn't get locked.

This one always gets locked during these kind of things, doesn't make sense to have both open. I don't think it'll be that bad, people just need to not take the bait if people come in and try to shit up the thread.

Volotaire

The GT (Easy Allies now)/GB debate seems to have mellowed last time a similar topic was brought up in the Easy Allies community thread. Hopefully the same situation doesn't occur again.

Myggen

I'mma throw up the thread before I go to bed (so like, in the next hour or so). We have the conference times so I can work with that.

Sweet. I assume the drive will be pretty early in the morning for them so shouldn't be that long until the actual content starts.

GT Sport. Non-numbered so Polyphony have an excuse to not give a full GT experience because dev time is an eternity for them.

Between GT6 launching on PS3 after the PS4 was out AND GT Sport basically being a stripped down launch title content wise but 3 years after the fact it really makes you wonder what its like in that Polyphony bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom