• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wrestling talk got thrown out of whack when the studios split. Dan manages to work wrestling into everything he touches, like some kind of twisted midas thumb... well, either that or Metal Gear Solid talk. And on the East side they added wrestling aficionado Austin. Jason is the only pure one recruited.

There's just no escape from wrestling while at Giant Bomb.
this Dangerous Golf UFEX is kind of a textbook example of why the EX format is a bummer. watching a dev do near-perfect playthroughs of levels while steering all conversations into a sales pitch. the latter I understand, but the former? why?

I still dunno how the game will work with the camera they have. Like, yeah, you can see the flag, but getting wall angles seems impossible--especially when debris is in the way. (For a while I assumed the ball auto-targetted the hole).

For QLEX's overall, they're a step away from being Professional Wednesdays to me. With no room for frank discussion of the game, it leads to a lot of very softball discussion and glossing over of imperfections. It's a guided tour more than a quick look, something I only really enjoy if I'm direly curious about a game.

Tubobutts

Jason's not pure, he participated in backyard wrestling.
Because I used to be super into yugioh, pokemon, digimon and beyblade.

No wrestling though. Never wrestling.
You probably tried to trick innocent Pokemon liking people into liking Yugioh and Digimon. But they couldn't fool me.

I only vaguely remember people liking beyblade so I can't comment on their character.

I'd rather see a kpop group not be terrible at music.

can't help you there!

2665537-jeff+laughed.gif

Also I feel like I prefer the weird external politics of wrestling compared to actual wrestling. I watched the zyan V nakamura and while it's OK it's not really entertainment I feel like I need to watch, and if that had people orgasming over how it is the GOAT the rest of wrestling must be a pretty big bummer.

Nakamura's intro was pretty great.

TraBuch

Banned
The thing that confuses me about Dangerous Golf is who's really looking for these physics demonstrations anymore? Isn't that pretty well-worn territory now?

Because I used to be super into yugioh, pokemon, digimon and beyblade.

No wrestling though. Never wrestling.

I guess my school was just more divided. It was either yugioh/digimon or pokemon.

Me and a friend got really into the Dragon Ball Z CCG back in like 2000, so really, I don't have clearance to be shitting on anyone.

Edit: Also, the newest Digimon game was kinda cool.

For QLEX's overall, they're a step away from being Professional Wednesdays to me. With no room for frank discussion of the game, it leads to a lot of very softball discussion and glossing over of imperfections. It's a guided tour more than a quick look, something I only really enjoy if I'm direly curious about a game.

I get and support the reasons why they do them. it's better to get that early coverage, whatever it ends up being, than not. sometimes it works out well.

but I also think that it might serve the developers to take a bit of time to understand the audience they're presenting it to. in this case it halfway felt like they were giving a GDC presentation to other developers. like, explain why the game is fun, not how you made the physics engine optimized for weird hardware that nobody owns

TraBuch

Banned
Was that spinning top that you wrapped with a sort of thick string like a shoestring and then threw it on the ground while pulling the string back to make it spin and then using the aforementioned string to push the top into other tops to try to knock them out a thing in the US or was that just a Korean thing?

Was that spinning top that you wrapped with a sort of thick string like a shoestring and then threw it on the ground while pulling the string back to make it spin and then using the aforementioned string to push the top into other tops to try to knock them out a thing in the US or was that just a Korean thing?

it was a thing here, but like, before I was a kid even. that's old-school stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The really weird thing is that tops are making a comeback, only this time it's all about artisanel tops made from like brass, copper or aluminum with ceramic/Ruby tips designed to spin for a long time.

Omega will always be a stargate to me.
I get and support the reasons why they do them. it's better to get that early coverage, whatever it ends up being, than not. sometimes it works out well.

but I also think that it might serve the developers to take a bit of time to understand the audience they're presenting it to. in this case it halfway felt like they were giving a GDC presentation to other developers. like, explain why the game is fun, not how you made the physics engine optimized for weird hardware that nobody owns

Agreed.

In this regard, during the Dangerous Golf QLEX, I definitely got the impression that there was some missed signals. Like Jeff trying to get that personal anecdote out repeatedly, for like 2-3 minutes, before giving up (I noticed that more than I probably should have). Or the devs, as you mention, waxing phiosophical about game development while they played. Also I forgot Dan was in the video for like twenty minutes.

Really, there was surprisingly little detail on how Dangerous Golf actually worked, because although it seemed straightforward the gameplay is obtuse as heck. Kinda made the "Ok, Jeff, you know how to play so here you go!" moment pretty good.

This actually makes me curious what GB does to prep people that appear as guests in their videos/podcasts. Like, "brace yourself, and remember: if anyone mentions a purse, ignore them!"

Easy to pick up and play? Because somebody recommended I try out skip-bo recently and I felt like I needed PhD to play that game.

Haven't heard of that one but yeah, phase 10 is super easy to just start playing with minimal explanations.

Stump, this top video is too intense for me. I was not prepared.

Quick Look: Twilight Struggle
VIDEO ON MAY 07, 2016 12:00 PM

Is this the Drew v. Austin match we were teased in the Bombcast? I've been wanting to try the board game for ages.

Brashnir

What is the Taco Bell sauce that Dan said a bunch of times he has a huge collection of in his place?

Is it the one they are stopping?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214931

I want Dan to have rare sauce, so he is conflicted if he should use it or not.

PS: Every time I hear Taco Bell I think of Dan Ryckert. This is bad.

If you cut Dan, he bleeds that stuff. He's like a Taco Bell Hot Sauce Keg at this point. Just put a tap in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom