• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

That's not naoto's hang up though. Her insecurities were more about being seen as young and inexperienced to the actual police force, not the investigation team, plus also being female in a male dominated work force.

Also if he's part of the crew wouldn't be still be in high school?

He appears older than the crew. It's leading a lot of folks to speculate he's a young adult. Most common theory is he's fresh out of the police academy.

A young police officer realizing the world he's chosen to go into is corrupt and broken would fit into what seems to be a lot of the major themes of P5 as well. It wold also be a much different arc from Naoto. Dealing with potentially destroying your career to pursue the greater good is a potently compelling character arc.

Xater

Like honestly, ui and graphic design of most games would be laughed out by ux and graphic designers of other mediums. It's been getting better, but ux and graphic design in games is still a battle between functionality, style and ease of use.

Like for example, to me persona 5 can almost seem far too much style over substance, but it's hard to judge without having used it, and while it emphasizes style a lot it seems to facilitates menu flow and functionality into its design pretty well.

A lot of games do fine. Just playing Overwatch the last couple of days makes the awful design of Battleborn stick out even more though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He appears older than the crew. It's leading a lot of folks to speculate he's a young adult. Most common theory is he's fresh out of the police academy.

A young police officer realizing the world he's chosen to go into is corrupt and broken would fit into what seems to be a lot of the major themes of P5 as well. It wold also be a much different arc from Naoto. Dealing with potentially destroying your career to pursue the greater good is a potently compelling character arc.

Oh is it an actual theory? I've avoided most of the dedicated p5 talk lately because the goddamn waifu wars started almost immediately.

Look, I know that this is that kind of game, and it is a big reason why I like it, but c'mon people.

yami4ct

Oh is it an actual theory? I've avoided most of the dedicated p5 talk lately because the goddamn waifu wars started almost immediately.

Look, I know that this is that kind of game, and it is a big reason why I like it, but c'mon people.

I've seen it thrown about a few times. There obviously is very little to support it, but it would fit what the game is going for really well, would provide a slightly different perspective for a cast member and explain why his design is really different in a lot of ways. We also know he joins last, so him playing a sort of rival role before realizing the truth and defecting would make a ton of sense.

As for the waifu wars, I feel like 80% of that shit is done as a joke to annoy the people who complain about it. It's not my favorite thing either, but I think it's a bit funny.

jaina

Like honestly, ui and graphic design of most games would be laughed out by ux and graphic designers of other mediums. It's been getting better, but ux and graphic design in games is still a battle between functionality, style and ease of use.
Games UI still compares favorably against a lot of business software. (Presumably because most people involved in a project don't know better or don't care, even though it harms productivity and customer satisfaction). Games need at least 1 artist to get some visuals on screen, so they're equipped better from the get-go.

I love how the bradx0r tag is one of the most coherent names in the QL. With the few multiplayer stuff I play, I'm regularly surprised how bad it is on PSN (without name changes) and XBL (with limited changes).

demidar

Games UI still compares favorably against a lot of business software. (Presumably because most people involved in a project don't know better or don't care, even though it harms productivity and customer satisfaction). Games need at least 1 artist to get some visuals on screen, so they're equipped better from the get-go.

I love how the bradx0r tag is one of the most coherent names in the QL. With the few multiplayer stuff I play, I'm regularly surprised how bad it is on PSN (without name changes) and XBL (with limited changes).

I also find good UI design to be criminally underappreciated and undervalued.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Brad throwing cans of spaghetti at people while Dan yells SPAGHETTI is probably one of the best GB moments ever. Dan redeemed, at least until I decide he's annoying me again.

I do wish they at least knew how the stealth systems worked, although them being completely clueless led to some kind of amazing moments. They were trespassing as the plumber in the house the whole time yet somehow made it from one end to the other unmolested, without sneaking, which is kind of amazing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I do wish they at least knew how the stealth systems worked, although them being completely clueless led to some kind of amazing moments. They were trespassing as the plumber in the house the whole time yet somehow made it from one end to the other unmolested, without sneaking, which is kind of amazing.

Their version of 47 is like a more gritty version of Mr. Magoo. Bumbling around, not really sure what he is doing or whats going on around him but somehow a lot of people end up dead.

hamchan

Brad throwing cans of spaghetti at people while Dan yells SPAGHETTI is probably one of the best GB moments ever. Dan redeemed, at least until I decide he's annoying me again.

Made it very tense since they were so oblivious as to how exposed they were.

Antiwhippy

Games UI still compares favorably against a lot of business software. (Presumably because most people involved in a project don't know better or don't care, even though it harms productivity and customer satisfaction).

Eh, I kind of exempt those because they are always horseshit. :p

Jintor

i can't help but feel it'd be more entertaining if they actually understood how the hunted/combat system works, or about how disguising/compromising systems work...

on the other hand, it's pretty fucking hilarious

Brad: "oh i'm being hunted. let me walk into the middle of everyone who has my description as all these white arrows grow larger around me and the sound plays scare chords as if i'm being detected"
Dan: "this seems like a bad idea
Brad: "I'm just playing it cool"
*immediately detected*
Brad: "HOW DID THEY KNOW"

Antiwhippy

"Yeah, the flowery language of most reviews almost makes me distrust them."

*proceeds to describe uncharted 4 in really flowery language*

Jintor

oh my fucking god

spend 20 minutes looking for safehouse to get exploding golf ball

FIND SAFEHOUSE

DON'T CHECK ALL THE ROOMS

LEAVE EXPLODING GOLF BALL BEHIND

how can it be that I'm enjoying something that's giving me a freaking aneurysm so much

/edit okay please find it this time around. come on brad you're killing me here

//edit NOPE.

hamchan

The level of stealth skill on display in HitDan is akin to MGScanlon except Brad and Dan just roll with it and have a good time with this nonsense, unlike Drew who seemed really frustrated all the time with his shortcomings.

Jintor

they've been playing for 3 hours and still have no fundamental understanding of the way areas are restricted to certain disguises, how everyone will be suspicious if you're in the wrong place in the wrong uniform, etc

but it works!

more hitdan

Antiwhippy

I stopped listening roughly 2 years ago so probably not? Unless my subconscious is bringing up one of the older ones.

Jintor

THEY DID IT

HOLY SHIT

god i don't know if I want them to learn how to play or I don't want them to learn how to play in future

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
they're so bad at this game but they're having so much fun

That's what makes it so fun to watch.
I don't think they are trying to be "good" at the game.
Their modus operandi seems to be

"Oh, an NPC? Can I kill him/her without anybody noticing?
Yes? DO IT
No? DO IT ANYWAY"

As a SO/SA person, I supr enjoy this, even if I sometimes feel like I should take a break watching it.

I would like them to learn a little bit about how to play. Like missing the golf ball, fine, that's not the end of the world. Walking around in a disguise that isn't working at all and you can tell because everyone has those white dots over their heads, come on.

Jintor

i don't necessarily want them to be good at the game, i'd just like it if they demonstrated some understanding of basic core concepts like the disguise system or suspicion.

well, maybe not, because it is pretty funny watching them bumble their way through it

/edit funnily enough they discovered two things in that playthrough i'd never even seen before, one of which looks real useful

Jintor

there was a tangible sense of improvement throughout beast though

well... at least they started to use bigger and bigger words as the series went along

Peru

That's the great aspect of Hitman's open-endedness, though, that you can fumble your way to the clumsiest kill in history or be a clever bugger.

The body bags litter throughout the level is great. Guards just stepping over them. They must have been processed but the coroner must have been getting a dump truck to take them from the premises

I've worked my way up to about Mastery 14 or so.

The unlocks to start at different points w/ different disguises gets fun.

The last run I made, and the last one I'll do before the next episode comes out because I'm just burned out, was in about 3 minutes.
Started as undercover security for the lady, shot her and her bodyguards immediately on the patio, stole her lab key, ran downstairs and shot the guy hitting golf balls, then got into the underground lab and shot a stalactite down onto the top of the quarantine room, ran to the plane. Took ~2m45s.

Sakwoff

Just found out that the lead writer of Battleborn is a guy that I loved from podcasts and stuff back in the day and now I'm kind of bummed out. Because everything about Battleborn screams "shit I don't want to play ever" to me.

Well. Then I also think that the writer of Borderlands 2 is a really good guy. (Also the writing in BL2, while certainly not perfect in that regard, nonetheless did some great stuff for inclusivity + representation in big budget games which often got swept under the rug because MEEEMES)

Meh.

Megasoum

Banned
Just found out that the lead writer of Battleborn is a guy that I loved from podcasts and stuff back in the day and now I'm kind of bummed out. Because everything about Battleborn screams "shit I don't want to play ever" to me.

Well. Then I also think that the writer of Borderlands 2 is a really good guy. (Also the writing in BL2, while certainly not perfect in that regard, nonetheless did some great stuff for inclusivity + representation in big budget games which often got swept under the rug because MEEEMES)

Meh.

I looked it up to see if I know him too (I don't) but I also found out that they hired Michel Gagné to do art design... He's the guy who made Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and some other great stuff... A shame...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom