• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, these new Nvidia cards.

tyson-smiling.jpg

yami4ct

Oh man, these new Nvidia cards.

Just on a superficial glance, they look real nice. I just bought a 970 last year, only run at 1080P and have no interest in VR yet, so I don't see a need personally. Still, good gains now means the upgrade when I finally get to it 3-4 years from now is gonna be nuts.

yami4ct

Who knows. The PS4 Neo could allow developers to include more demanding options for PC games.

Eh. I don't see it. As long as devs have to support the current gen, I don't see the tech line pushing that much. Neo is still a middle ground between the current PS4 and beefy PCs. I don't see why adding that spec to the dev process would push the top higher than they'd naturally go when the bottom is still there.

So much stuff to catch up on. Starting the latest Hitman video; I hope they've discovered The Secret of the Dots.

It seems to be more the fault of the games in a few particular cases lately (Hitman, Quantum Break, etc) but I've been incredibly bummed at how quickly the 970 seems to be not cutting it.

I just had the weirdest VR experience. I was testing the Oculus video player, the one that just basically puts you in a location and you watch a video on what looks like a big screen. I chose the theater setting, You're placed in the middle row of the theater and I was just watching the Stellaris QL. I was looking around, just amazed at how it felt like I was in this big room and then I looked down at the exit in the front row. And suddenly popped in my mind "what if they had someone walked through that door straight at me" and the thought gave me fucking chills. I will not be playing any horror games in VR, that is for goddamn sure.

I think I'm like Vinny, I'm very easily drawn into VR worlds. I'm easily startled and freaked out by things I know aren't really there.

yami4ct

It's kinda weird to be in the 1XXX range of card numbers again. I wonder if NVIDIA will end up doing another reset a few years down the line when the numbers start looking real silly.

Eh. I don't see it. As long as devs have to support the current gen, I don't see the tech line pushing that much. Neo is still a middle ground between the current PS4 and beefy PCs. I don't see why adding that spec to the dev process would push the top higher than they'd naturally go when the bottom is still there.

I don't disagree. Just throwing out ideas of how I can justify upgrading. As it is, there's no rush to move on from my 970 unless I'm aiming for way above 1920x1200 60fps.

yami4ct

I don't disagree. Just throwing out ideas of how I can justify upgrading. As it is, there's no rush to move on from my 970 unless I'm aiming for way above 1920x1200 60fps.

I'm partly trying to talk myself out of one. Haha.

For traditional games at 1080, I don't see the 970 being a slouch at least until we start getting games purely for next gen systems. Yeah there will be some occasionally cool bells and whistles that will allow devs to push up the definition of 'ultra', but as long as you don't need to be on the top end of the spec sheet, it should still perform very admirably.

With VR and 1440p/4K/etc, these new cards become really compelling, but those all require additional purchases I don't plan on making for a good while.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's one thing if Dan and Brad want to hurt themselves with their trash phone games so wrestler-senpais will notice them and Brad got fill his depressing loot reality.

It's another to try to get others to join in their filth.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird, but something about whenever I see a 4 player couch party co-op game on UPF, it just makes me want to completely skip it Like that worm game looked so tired to me.

Except Ultimate Chicken Horse. Ultimate Chicken Horse is the realest shit.

It's weird, but something about whenever I see a 4 player couch party co-op game on UPF, it just makes me want to completely skip it Like that worm game looked so tired to me.

Yeah, I just mute them and do other stuff until I see that they are done. Maybe not with something like that game with the flying wieners. (I can't remember its name.)

Tubobutts

Bow drill is easy I don't know what Drew is talking about. As long as your equipment is good.

What the hell was the sound Dan made when Drew gave him beer?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Remember when the guys were doing Throw Back Quick Looks? I wish they still did those occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom