• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldier 76 is my favorite. I've come to embrace my inner Jeff.

I thought the same thing during the tutorial (that it was the character that best embodies what Jeff prefers in a shooter) but it sounds like even that wasn't enough to make this game playable for him as he "disliked everything" about Overwatch. Just not a team-based shooter guy, ever.

Is there some kind of hardcore Reaper fandom that I'm missing? Don't get the hate for him. His lines and emotes are pretty cringey, but seems pretty in-jokey as a lot of the other characters.

killroy87

Loving Overwatch. Day 1 purchase for me.

But last night, I decided to buy battleborn, and I actually really like it. I wanted a hero shooter to hold me over until OW releases, but these games are so different that I think there is room for both in my game schedule.

Battleborn is tempting me a little bit (like you, i don't need it to be either BB or Overwatch), but my lingering fear that the online community will be dead in two months is keeping me away.

I need to give her another try.

She's great.

giphy.gif

demidar

I hadn't even realised the Overwatch beta had been extended by an extra 24 hours, that's cool as I've been having way more fun than I was expecting.

Also, Symmetra is the best.

I'm going to be boring and say I like Soldier Man, even if I'm bad with him.

Tracer's pretty fun too, blinking behind people then back is like an anime thing.

I was going to list which Overwatch characters I enjoy playing as the most but then I realized it's almost the entire cast.

Reaper = trash btw

Reaper is the best though

Is there some kind of hardcore Reaper fandom that I'm missing? Don't get the hate for him. His lines and emotes are pretty cringey, but seems pretty in-jokey as a lot of the other characters.

I like to ironically play them. He's so edgy. It's great. It's hilarious because you can do the hello emote with all characters, and Reaper just holds out his hand saying 'Heeeyy' while not breaking kayfabe. And he's so edgy. His highlight videos are the best, he teleports and pops out half way through the floor to laugh.

It's great. It's a great game.

Zaph

D.Va and Zarya are where it's at. Also Bastion is fucking braindead OP and needs nerfs. For starters he shouldn't be able to turn 360 degrees in turret form, that shit is dumb. That and slower turn speed would do a lot I think.

Bastion has looked overpowered since the alpha/closed-beta. Because the business model hadn't been announced back then, it's one of the things that initially turned me off about the game because I thought Blizzard were making a typical F2P shooter with overpowered paid characters.

That said, it's obvious Blizzard aim to treat balance in Overwatch with a similar philosophy to WoW's Arena, and I'm really curious how the shooter community will respond to that.

call me when overwatch has d'vda

But it's a myth...

It's starting to sound like I should give Stellaris a shot, the QL was entertaining and it sounds like it's fairly beginner friendly.
I'm going to be boring and say I like Soldier Man, even if I'm bad with him.

Tracer's pretty fun too, blinking behind people then back is like an anime thing.

Tracer is really fun but also feels really difficult to actually play well so I've not really spent much time playing as her yet.

Fevaweva

Man I just do not enjoy Overwatch at all. I started off hating it but now it has upgraded to "meh" I don't know what everyone sees in it honesty. The shooting felt bad and the general business of the game when there is a fight just killed any tactics the game may have.

I was playing a match yesterday where the enemy team had 4 bastions guarding the capture point

one hanzo ult wiped their team and we took the point real easy

Also as zenyatta I throw a disharmony orb on him and can handle him from a distance

Salarians

You know, there is something to Battleborn but BOY there sure are a ton of little usability issues and questionable design choices that keep pushing me away.

All of the games modes are way too long, there's no way to simply test out a character outside of loading into a mission, matchmaking is awful (eg: going into story matchmaking, hoping I can choose a mission I haven't done only to be matched with NOBODY and sitting through a load before I can quit), having tiny tidbits about the characters as unlockables for doing grindy "challenges" (some of which are reliant on hoping another player picks a specific character), none of the story missions are good and some are downright bad (the last mission is a timed sequence, followed by three bulletsponge bosses from other missions, and then the final boss, which takes place on a platform over a chasm you WILL be knocked into and killed by multiple times), getting killed right as you trigger your ult, but before it actually happens still causing it to go into cool down... I could go on.

I like the incursion mode a lot, but even that has its issues. And of the two maps in that mode, one of them isn't particularly well designed and has serious framerate issues on PS4.

I really want to like this game but it sure is going out of its way to make me not want to keep playing it.

Every character in Overwatch feels great to me, it's amazing.

Not clear if the option rotating you between characters is a mode or a special event, but I've had fun playing nearly every character. Prefer not to play as Lucio, Winston, or Symmetra. But I do okay with them. When I played the standard mode, it's Hanzo all day.

Zaph

You know, there is something to Battleborn but BOY there sure are a ton of little usability issues and questionable design choices that keep pushing me away.

All of the games modes are way too long, there's no way to simply test out a character outside of loading into a mission, matchmaking is awful (eg: going into story matchmaking, hoping I can choose a mission I haven't done only to be matched with NOBODY and sitting through a load before I can quit), having tiny tidbits about the characters as unlockables for doing grindy "challenges" (some of which are reliant on hoping another player picks a specific character), none of the story missions are good and some are downright bad (the last mission is a timed sequence, followed by three bulletsponge bosses from other missions, and then the final boss, which takes place on a platform over a chasm you WILL be knocked into and killed by multiple times), getting killed right as you trigger your ult, but before it actually happens still causing it to go into cool down... I could go on.

I like the incursion mode a lot, but even that has its issues. And of the two maps in that mode, one of them isn't particularly well designed and has serious framerate issues on PS4.

I really want to like this game but it sure is going out of its way to make me not want to keep playing it.

As I'm reading this, all I'm thinking is:

Please don't fuck up Borderlands 3

I had a lot of fun playing Paragon this weekend on PS4. Howitzer is pretty cool

Are we allowed to talk Paragon or is this an Overwatch thread

Fevaweva

As much as I do not like Overwatch, their Engineer clone...the Robot Dwarf whose name I have forgotten is lots of fun to play.

demidar

It's starting to sound like I should give Stellaris a shot, the QL was entertaining and it sounds like it's fairly beginner friendly.

Tracer is really fun but also feels really difficult to actually play well so I've not really spent much time playing as her yet.

I've got a good handle on her. Basically always have an escape plan and never engage head on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom