• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #22 | Drew, F*** This Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hour 7 of the archived Vive stream (I watch a bit each day during my lunch break) and this shows that VR must be pretty convincing - Jeff reached out to support himself against the wall in the game, thinking it was real and tipped over.

And speaking of convincing, Jason total got me during UPF with the video of him on the couch with everyone. I did wonder at first who was running the show with him AND Drew in the studio but figured there must be an 'auto-pilot' mode or something. And then I started to wonder why he wasn't talking and finally noticed the video loop. The bit later where Dan and Drew were interacting with the fake Brad was hilarious.

Paragon has me interested, but I'll wait 'til it's out of pay-to-play Beta.

Yeah Paragon was the one out of all theses hero shooters/MOBAs that I had my eye on but there was no way I was going to pay to play a free-to-play game early. What the heck.

But they had a free weekend and it's really fun. As someone who has never played a MOBA though, I'd like a more thorough explanation of like... how exactly to play? But they do have a short tutorial video for each character which I found very helpful.

Zaph

In hour 7 of the archived Vive stream (I watch a bit each day during my lunch break) and this shows that VR must be pretty convincing - Jeff reached out to support himself against the wall in the game, thinking it was real and tipped over.

Yup, those accidental moments of over-immersion are becoming increasingly common among VR users. Really makes you wonder how incredible the software will be in 5 years or so.

Myggen

Jeff yelling to communicate with Dan when Dan was far above him in that rollercoaster VR game was another one of those moments.

Every single one of those VR games seems either a) terrible, or b) too simple to be worth money.

Yeah, still feel the exact same that they did 2-3 years ago. People keep saying give it time, but I feel like there's not even one thing to point at as saying this is VR realized in a full fledged game. Or at least in a given direction.

Every single one of those VR games seems either a) terrible, or b) too simple to be worth money.
Yeah, I've watched all of the Occulus stream and 7 hours of Vive and wouldn't be interested in anything except for maybe Job Simulator. And even that I wouldn't pay much for. Assuming VR as a way to play games isn't just another '3D' I am intrigued to see how devs learn from all these early experiences and how they adapt and evolve things. There's a lot of potential but right now its pretty lackluster.

oti

Banned
I thought the same thing during the tutorial (that it was the character that best embodies what Jeff prefers in a shooter) but it sounds like even that wasn't enough to make this game playable for him as he "disliked everything" about Overwatch. Just not a team-based shooter guy, ever.

Jeff likes "PowPow" shooters like CoD, in which you are dead in mere seconds. I'm not a big fan of those so whenever Jeff doesn't like a shooter, I'm more inclined to give it a closer look. And Overwatch is a lot of fun. Just not 60€ fun for me at least.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff likes "PowPow" shooters like CoD, in which you are dead in mere seconds. I'm not a big fan of those so whenever Jeff doesn't like a shooter, I'm more inclined to give it a closer look. And Overwatch is a lot of fun. Just not 60€ for me at least.

You are dead in mere seconds on Overwatch pretty regularly

Sakwoff

They've kind of made a habit of blowing it after the first Borderlands.

BL2 sold like hot cakes and has a super devoted fandom though. Dunno. Always seemed to me that Jeff's opinion wasn't very representative of the game's reception in general.

For what it's worth, as a not-fan I also think the writing is better than he gives it credit for. The referential humor isn't that egregious (or, for that matter, frequent), and I'll always applaud their willingness to be admirably progressive in the focus-tested to death AAA space.

Anthony Burch isn't at Gearbox anymore though, so who knows what will happen. I think BL2 might have been the only game he's written?

Salarians

Still haven't touched Overwatch but I've been enjoying the gifs.
tumblr_inline_o41oicPqqS1rnsiuf_500.gif

Yeah Blizzard's got great animators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom