• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

repeater

That old hat got a poor port? Man that sounds like no care at all went into it.
Yeah, the game is pretty old now and doesn't feel like it's pushing any particularly spectacular graphics, so that's gotta be it. I just got myself a slightly insane gaming PC so I could play it on that, but then I'll likely get destroyed by people who are actually competent at FPSes and have been playing the game for ages. :p

ArjanN

Brad Muir went to Valve in October and we've never seen him again. It's like he went to the Undying Lands and never returned to us mortals.

Eh, he just had a kid, and Valve seems like a place now where if you can get in you basically have infinite job secutity as long as you don't mind that you might never get to put out a game again.

Whereas Double Fine seemed to be in the opposite situation, i.e. always putting out a lot of creative stuff but also always feels liek they're only one or two flops away from being out of business.

Furi is a goddamn beautiful game with fantastic music. I was looking at the differences between the modes and you're seriously hampering your experience if you play on the easiest setting.

Furi is a goddamn beautiful game with fantastic music. I was looking at the differences between the modes and you're seriously hampering your experience if you play on the easiest setting.

This is what the woman who wrote about the game at Kotaku was missing -- the game warns you if you pick the easiest setting and she took it as a "HARDCORE GAMERZ ONLY!!!" thing, but for a game centered solely around eight or so boss fights, the difficulty is key. It's not about being hardcore, it's just a way for the game to tell you that you're in danger of cheapening the experience if you pick the easy setting and breeze through since there's not a lot there in terms of content.

I'm five bosses in and loving it. Third boss was pretty meh but the other four have been great, dynamic experiences.

Joeku

Furi is a bad game to watch Brad quick look. A game about such precision is making me judge his every move. The charge attack, Brad, the charge! Also charge and then dash, then attack. I don't know my terminology well enough, is that an offset?

Also I think that the next boss after the quick look one is my favourite so far. I'm currently stuck on the last stage of the seventh. Trying to do that shit drunk is a bad idea.

Edit: Okay, just getting towards the end of the quick look. Brad is learning.

This is what the woman who wrote about the game at Kotaku was missing -- the game warns you if you pick the easiest setting and she took it as a "HARDCORE GAMERZ ONLY!!!" thing, but for a game centered solely around eight or so boss fights, the difficulty is key. It's not about being hardcore, it's just a way for the game to tell you that you're in danger of cheapening the experience if you pick the easy setting and breeze through since there's not a lot there in terms of content.

I'm five bosses in and loving it. Third boss was pretty meh but the other four have been great, dynamic experiences.

It's a matter of experience. Three pips to the boss health or whatever actually cuts down on some of the back and forth, and transitions between boss modes are so rapid that you don't get to appreciate or experience them.

Also do we have anyone in the community in Dallas?

Also charge and then dash, then attack. I don't know my terminology well enough, is that an offset?

Basically yeah.

Meneses

Furi seems awesome, I played it for a bit when it became available on PS+ but I had to go away on a trip, so i'll dive into it more thoroughly this weekend.

Also, Monster Hunter is cool too, juts imagine how much fun it would be if we could play it on something with comfortable controls, and maybe a big screen.

Meguro

Banned
Furi is pretty cool, agreed.
I finished it yesterday.
Some of the bosses are real stinkers but it's still very much worth a look.
Also Braaaad, the boss goes into melee mode once you finish the blue part of his health bar and you get your health back after beating a "phase" of a boss.

Lijik

im so bummed out i wont be able to justify picking up furi for a bit

gives me time to wrap up games i bought in the steam sale but man furi looks so rad

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mid tier action games like that really don't sell well anymore, I doubt this game is gonna do a Rocket League...

It's not entirely free though. They must get some kickback.

I'm curious what kind of deals developers get for it. There's some interesting quotes from developers in a Gamasutra article but apparently they're not allowed to disclose the exact financial details.

Worked for rocket league.

True, but that game's accessibility + multiplayer focus were pretty uniquely suited to a free launch. A tough-as-nails action game will probably have much shorter legs.

Altairre

Furi is a bad game to watch Brad quick look. A game about such precision is making me judge his every move. The charge attack, Brad, the charge! Also charge and then dash, then attack. I don't know my terminology well enough, is that an offset?

Also I think that the next boss after the quick look one is my favourite so far. I'm currently stuck on the last stage of the seventh. Trying to do that shit drunk is a bad idea.

Edit: Okay, just getting towards the end of the quick look. Brad is learning.

It seems like he doesn't know about a lot of the mechanics. He does not know that you can parry certain projectiles. He does not know what triggers the close combat phase apparently even though he beat three bosses. He does not know that you can still dodge while charging up the slash. I don't think he knows that you can charge up your sword in the close combat phase. He does not know that you cannot follow up after every successful parry, sometimes you have to parry the entire string. He's going to have a hard time with the other bosses.

Meguro

Banned
To be fair to Brad, the game does a shit job at explaining most of its concepts beyond shoot, parry and hit.
The boost hit is never explained anywhere, neither are perfect parrys or charging up your dash or that you can parry projectiles etc. etc.

There are video tutorials for everything you can do, but they're actually in the 'options' menu of all places. I was glad I poked around in there before starting because the first boss teaches you the basics but not many of the more advanced mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom