• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

2868464-drew-dan.gif

drewrieigj3d.gif

who will do this with drew next

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah man, as much as I can knock this game for stuff, nothing feels worse than this choice of music. It just feels slapped on. Like 'well I've got a chiptunes xXKavinskyXx, we could just use that?' It doens't fit what's on the screen at all and it's really throwing me off.

Like this music feels like Blood Dragon and not like this weird Quake/Doom BLOOD EVERYWHERE aesthetic they're going for.

Yeah man, as much as I can knock this game for stuff, nothing feels worse than this choice of music. It just feels slapped on. Like 'well I've got a chiptunes xXKavinskyXx, we could just use that?' It doens't fit what's on the screen at all and it's really throwing me off.

Like this music feels like Blood Dragon and not like this weird Quake/Doom BLOOD EVERYWHERE aesthetic they're going for.

This game feels like it's ticking boxes.

Rogue like - tick
90s aesthetic - tick
Chiptunes - tick
Flicker on the pause menu - tick
Crafting - tick
Lame attention seeking disk thing - tick

The UI seems very much designed with VR in mind. Having a helmet/cockpit-like view, looking down left for map and down right for the stats.

[EDIT] There's a VR test build. Downloading now!

This game feels like it's ticking boxes.

Rogue like - tick
90s aesthetic - tick
Chiptunes - tick
Flicker on the pause menu - tick
Crafting - tick

I feel like you could do this to any game ever. Let's do The Witcher 3:

Open World - tick
1,000s of uninteresting things to do - tick
Mediocre Combat - tick
Glitches Ridden - tick
Gather nodes for the shitty crafting system - tick

Strafe looks pretty good to me. I'll agree that the music is incongruous but gameplaywise it looks better put together than its competition like Bunker Punks and Wasted.

The No Man's Sky music isn't procedural generated, it just adapts to what's going on. Lots of shooting and action and explosions? Fade in bass tracks and percussion. Peaceful exploration? Light instrumentation and lower tempo.

I feel like you could do this to any game ever. Let's do The Witcher 3:

Open World - tick
1,000s of uninteresting things to do - tick
Mediocre Combat - tick
Glitches Ridden - tick
Gather nodes for the shitty crafting system - tick

Strafe looks pretty good to me. I'll agree that the music is incongruous but gameplaywise it looks better put together than its competition like Bunker Punks and Wasted.

The Witcher 3 is the worst example here. That game was meticulous in making its parts fit a greater whole and coherent vision.

This game's parts absolutely do not go together in theory and apparently in execution which makes it look very gimmicky to me.

def sim

i'm legit surprised jeff is passionate about the darkness

i liked it a whole lot. the main character needed to get a haircut though

The Witcher 3 is the worst example here. That game was meticulous in making its parts fit a greater whole and coherent vision.

This game's parts absolutely do not go together in theory and apparently in execution which makes it look very gimmicky to me.

You said crafting doesn't go with roguelikes when a huge amount of existing roguelikes have crafting mechanics? You said the 90s aesthetic doesn't go with them sending out shareware disks? You can say shit is gimmicky, but as I mentioned I think the only thing that doesn't go with the theme is the music.

Also I don't think Witcher 3 is a coherent vision, I think it's a fucking mess. Gwent is a gimmick FF card game that had no place in the world, the games mechanics (combat, horse riding and follow your Witcher sense) don't hold up for 5 hours let alone the 100+ hour duration of the game, and the open world isn't dynamic in the slightest which is the whole point of having an open world. If Witcher 3 was a significantly more linear title with a gameworld a tenth of the size that only featured the major quests/side quests it would have been a much more coherent product that focused on its strengths.

Throwing my lot in with the "Strafe looks whatever" people.

Also I really shouldn't be surprised that Dan has bad taste in things at this point but The Darkness = Prey, really?

Want to say Prey's first level throws in all its gimmicks. Portals, spherical levels, reviving via ghost bow, and maybe a flying vehicle.

PC Prey is notable for Steam running out of CD keys and having to delist it.

You said crafting doesn't go with roguelikes when a huge amount of existing roguelikes have crafting mechanics? You said the 90s aesthetic doesn't go with them sending out shareware disks? You can say shit is gimmicky, but as I mentioned I think the only thing that doesn't go with the theme is the music.

Also I don't think Witcher 3 is a coherent vision, I think it's a fucking mess. Gwent is a gimmick FF card game that had no place in the world, the games mechanics (combat, horse riding and follow your Witcher sense) don't hold up for 5 hours let alone the 100+ hour duration of the game, and the open world isn't dynamic in the slightest which is the whole point of having an open world. If Witcher 3 was a significantly more linear title with a gameworld a tenth of the size that only featured the major quests/side quests it would have been a much more coherent product that focused on its strengths.

Strafe is all about that nostalgia pop, nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't use those features in any meaningful way, they're tacked on, a ticked box of what is 'in' right now in PC video games. It might as well be a menu and a loading screen.

I got bored looking at the 3 enemy types after 5 minutes.

You can dislike The Witcher 3, but you can't say that it isn't ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom