• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend agrees that he (my friend) could take a wolf, and contends that the average grey wolf is less than 90 pounds and stands no chance.
Size doesn't matter--don't fuck with wolves. They don't even need to kill to win (unfortunately I can't find a video example) because they'll just wait for their target to bleed out, instead.

The average human doesn't stand a chance in any capacity. Dan and your buddy are utterly mad.

Size doesn't matter--don't fuck with wolves. They don't even need to kill to win (unfortunately I can't find a video example) because they'll just wait for their target to bleed out, instead.

The average human doesn't stand a chance in any capacity. Dan and your buddy are utterly mad.

There's this well known story involving a Police German Shepard and the Macho Man Randy Savage. A wolf is not a German Shepard and Dan Ryckert certainly is not the Macho Man Randy Savage.

Meneses

I wanted to combine these two things...

49U0otC.gif

It would be perfect with Brad's head on Pitbull.

Lijik

Catching up on HitDan because I forgot that was gonna be today and im overjoyed Brad "Dr Sniper" Shoemaker finally pulled off an elusive target

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I need Abzu to be good. Quadrilateral Cowboy didn't hit it for me despite the gameplay mechanics of it being potentially cool. A potential it never comes close to meeting.

Scizzy

Let's get Dan to talk about politics. That should go over well

I was scared for a while that Dan would be a strong Trump guy because he really liked that hair vs hair match with Vince McMahon, but he's referred to him as a jerk in passing at least once. And, as best I can recall, the only non-trivial issue I've ever seen him care about is gay marriage, unless the election involves Arnold Schwarzenegger (who I'm pretty sure is pro-gay marriage, actually).

santeesioux

I never understand why you guys are always so worried about Dan's political leanings. Whenever he talks about anything like that he always seems as liberal as any of you guys.

Jintor

I never understand why you guys are always so worried about Dan's political leanings. Whenever he talks about anything like that he always seems as liberal as any of you guys.

Dan represents America because he's a normal guy who does normal guy things. He's the canary in the coalmine.
/s

On a side note, it just occurred to me reading about the conventions are hitting the same parts of my brain that I think wrestling would hit and that has me deeply concerned

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wonder if Jeff's "starbound is like no man's sky, but stuff actually happens" comment with Brad going "oooh too soon man" was because they have the game and this is from experience or if its just a outsider's perspective of what they have seen pre release

I wonder if Jeff's "starbound is like no man's sky, but stuff actually happens" comment with Brad going "oooh too soon man" was because they have the game and this is from experience or if its just a outsider's perspective of what they have seen pre release

Could be, I always listen between the lines when they talk about pre-release stuff, sometimes you can definitely tell how they feel about the game from just a little bit of banter.

Could be, I always listen between the lines when they talk about pre-release stuff, sometimes you can definitely tell how they feel about the game from just a little bit of banter.

I'm going to take it as banter related to all the 'But what do you do' that permeates around NMS.

They might have it already. Over in the NMS thread, these images, from what I assume is from a retailer, were posted:

Guys... No Man's Sky is real and someone already found a copy of it

CoaVzz8UkAYRwcN.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/LegacyZ3RO/status/758458333674151936/photo/1

But wait there's more, here is what the side looks like

CoaQr8rWAAAw3xH.jpg:large

I'm somewhat surprised to see the SIE logo on the back. Despite the co-marketing with Sony, I thought NMS was all Hello games (development and publishing).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember Brad being extremely positive about what he saw of NMS when it first came out. But I want to say Jeff was too? I don't remember him being skeptical at least.

No Man's Sky just looks like Space Truck Simulator to me. The over the top hype cycle it's gotten doesn't really match up with what I've seen.

I remember Brad being extremely positive about what he saw of NMS when it first came out. But I want to say Jeff was too? I don't remember him being skeptical at least.

No Man's Sky just looks like Space Truck Simulator to me. The over the top hype cycle it's gotten doesn't really match up with what I've seen.

Yeah. I can't believe that was in 2013. Man, the VGX's. Those were a thing, huh?

Speaking of VRodeo, I can't wait for their inevitable PSVR stream. Surely they'll be doing one. Also, knowing they already have it (as Jeff played it on UPF last year), I really want to see them try NoLimits 2 (it's a very realistic roller coaster simulator) in VR. It has both Oculus and Vive support.

When I listen to the podcast today Jeff's response after Brad said "ooh too soon" was like you're right I don't know. I think he was just making a joke and hasn't played it yet.

I feel like if this game was the new Spore someone at Sony would have figured it out and they wouldn't have invested money into it. People are gonna be pissed if it's a super boring sandbox.

I'm still taking a a wait and see stance on it. I'm kind of glad for the two day PC delay. Impression and reviews will be telling me if I should bother or not.

Alright, so I can mathematically prove that Dan would lose against a wolf.

Dan is a Commoner with the following stats:
  • 1d4 HP; medium size.
  • Base Attack of +1 (luck bonus) with 1d3 unarmed damage; and no improvised weapon or unarmed profiency.
  • Base speed of 30 feet.
  • Armor class of 10 + 1 luck bonus.
  • Saving throws of 1's across the board due to a luck bonus.
  • No spells or special abilities of any kind, aside from uncanny luck.
altogether giving him a challenge rating of 0.5--roughly twice as strong as a rat.

Meanwhile a standard wolf has the following stats:
  • 2d8+4 HP; medium size.
  • Base Attack of +1 with 1d6+1 damage and +1 bonus attack on its bite attacks.
  • Base speed of 50 feet.
  • Saving throws of 5 Fortitude, 5 Reflex, 1 Will.
  • Armor class of 14.
  • No spells, but capable of tracking (with scent) or tripping opponents, plus minor hiding/spotting abilities.
altogether giving it a challenge rating of 1; a suitable enemy for level 1 adventurers.

At a minimum, Dan would need at about 7 rounds, or roughly 72 seconds, of consecutive hits at maximum damage while evading virtually every hit to successfully incapacitate the wolf. This is keeping in mind that Dan is proficient in no available weapons and suffering from massive attack penalties while also provoking attacks of opportunity in every round. Winning against the wolf would take lottery-sized numbers to pull off. And to be clear, Dan can survive at most two attacks with his allotment of HP.

Consider the case closed. Math wins again!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This weird loose affiliation Dan has created between Giant Bomb and WWE is both concerning and fantastic. It's fancernistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom