• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurrry

you giant bomb bastards! got me to sit here and watch the entire thing live hoping to get answers.

you really are the new WWE

Strax

While I agree this isn't a big deal its really strange seeing people defending this like there is any ground to stand on. No matter what GB reason has for doing it this its something they've said they would not do and are selling membership based, in part, on this.

Of course its easier for them to do it this way but its a problem created 100% by themselves and for them to solve and not the viewer.

Live video coverage of the recording of the podcast is a new feature, not one that was not promised. The actual premium podcast remains ad free, as promised.

They've said it countless times this is a podcast being recoreded. This is not a new feature, its a bonus. Even it was a new premium feature it should not have ads on it.

kingocfs

While I agree this isn't a big deal its really strange seeing people defending this like there is any ground to stand on. No matter what GB reason has for doing it this its something they've said they would not do and are selling membership based, in part, on this.

Of course its easier for them to do it this way but its a problem created 100% by themselves and for them to solve and not the viewer.

Here's the ground to stand on: it's not a big deal.

Houndi101

AHAHAHA the chat's imploding from lack of info. Dan played you all like a damn fiddle.
Q6TzldK.gif

The premium version of the Bombcast still exists.

do you have any idea how long a 3+ hour video takes to render

Less than 30 seconds of ads here and there is not that bad and guess what, it's the only thing doing this. I'd agree with you if it started to spread into UPF or other actual Premium Only content.

If they ever offer another ad-only premium feature, I'll immediately cancel my subscription that I've had for years. Regardless of the circumstances.

Wow, seriously dude? it's a few moments of ads, and they just started this thing, it's an easier way of adding the add in on the fly instead of waiting for the podcast to be done, put them in later and then rendering it again and then putting it out. Instead we get it live and the final product is done right then and there. I'm a premium subscriber for years and have only listened to the ad version. they aren't that bad. If I hadn't I wouldn't know about small business man and his ventures into different businesses and how he created small business websites from the premiere website creation Squarespace while eating his nature boxes that were delivered full of one day razors.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The hilarity of this is that you know this freaking out is what dan wanted in the first place. All the fear, speculation and avatar bets is the end goal. LITERAL WRESTLING.

Played like a damn fiddle indeed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please do, you would not be missed.

Live video coverage of the recording of the podcast is a new feature, not one that was not promised. The actual premium podcast remains ad free, as promised.

sarah-silverman-democratic-national-convention.jpg

Is there a way to get the premium podcast from a third party app like pocket casts? That has ads but I'm a premium member. I don't want to listen though the website as I want to mouse my usual podcast app to automatically download episodes ready for listening.

Here's the ground to stand on: it's not a big deal.

If you gave me a fiver a month to not punch you in the face and then after years of our arrangement going great, I started slapping you in the face once a week would you consider it "not a big deal"?

For what its worth, I'm a premium subscriber and couldnt care less about the ads but can see why people are upset and they have every right to be, to be honest.

BearPawB

Banned
Equating hearing a few ads to being slapped in the face is a bit hyperbolic.
There is no other content during that time anyways. They need to do it so it is easier to edit.

Goron2000

best junior ever

They've said it countless times this is a podcast being recoreded. This is not a new feature, its a bonus. Even it was a new premium feature it should not have ads on it.

Yeah man, I'm with ya! Missing out on all that hot footage of them staring at their phones and going to the bathroom while stock music plays.

Equating hearing a few ads to being slapped in the face is a bit hyperbolic.
There is no other content during that time anyways. They need to do it so it is easier to edit.

EVERY TIME I HEAR AN AD IN THE LIVE STREAM

IT'S LIKE I'M BEING STABBED BY A HOUSE INVADER

I AM LITERALLY BLEEDING AT THE EARS

OH MY GOD IT'S SO OFFENSIVE AHHH

</sarcasm.>

So what do you guys want here?

Change the wording on the subscription page to "ad-free experience except during live Bombcasts".

It's a production reality and not a big deal.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Is there a way to get the premium podcast from a third party app like pocket casts? That has ads but I'm a premium member. I don't want to listen though the website as I want to mouse my usual podcast app to automatically download episodes ready for listening.
Yeah, some of those apps have option to put in a login and password.

I use pocket cast and get premium feeds of the casts.

Megasoum

Banned
Taking the time to manually add the ads after the recording just to please a couple of people while at the same time delaying the release of the audio version for the other 99.9&#8453; of the audience who just doesn't give a shit about 30sec ads is really fucking stupid.

I just enjoy the the features and if I don't like something I skip through it or mute it. GB has earned my trust, ads on the livestream is not some crazy slippery slope business.

Scizzy

The point of the video Bombcast is literally to let you watch the process of making the podcast. If playing the ads is part of the process of making the recording, that is exactly what you signed up for.

yami4ct

Ads in a premium stream are dumb. They don't bother me that much, but they're dumb. If you want to put in ads, just make a free stream. Problem solved.

Taking the time to manually add the ads after the recording just to please a couple of people while at the same time delaying the release of the audio version for the other 99.9&#8453; of the audience who just doesn't give a shit about 30sec ads is really fucking stupid.

yuuup if people wanna cancel their subscriptions over that, more power to them.

Rainmaker

Banned
I understand why people are upset but I agree that the reasoning is worth me making an exception for this one feature. I know they're not trying to get one over on me. It's not like they're making me sit through The Money Zone.

justjim89

Damn it all. Now I'm starting to feel like nothing is actually happening and Dan is just moving to Petaluma or somewhere else in the area and site content won't actually change. I feel silly.

I bet he was fuming and almost called in to yell at jeff during the call in section at that Thanksgiving UPF when Rorie and Jeff did the ads recording live

neshcom

Banned
Ads in a premium stream are dumb. They don't bother me that much, but they're dumb. If you want to put in ads, just make a free stream. Problem solved.
But that's a definitive, concrete exclusive that premium members would lose. The exclusiveness of watching live is worth less than the principal of not watching a premium stream with the ads?

I don't know about pocket casts specifically, but many podcast apps have ways to put in username/passwords for that kind of thing (often under advanced options when you're setting up the feed). You just have to get the feed url for the premium podcast and then put in your login info. I do that for Beyondpod.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I bet he was fuming and almost called in to yell at jeff during the call in section at that Thanksgiving UPF when Rorie and Jeff did the ads recording live

If they were actually recorded live I'd be completely understanding of it. That's not the case. They're playing something that's prerecorded and doesn't need to go out over the stream.

But that's a definitive, concrete exclusive that premium members would lose. The exclusiveness of watching live is worth less than the principal of not watching a premium stream with the ads?

That's only because they decided it was a premium only feature. If this had been announced as for everybody and they said "Well, we can't take out the ads live for some people and not for others" then it would also be more understandable.

neshcom

Banned
That's only because they decided it was a premium only feature. If this had been announced as for everybody and they said "Well, we can't take out the ads live for some people and not for others" then it would also be more understandable.
But that's still valuing the principle more than the benefit.

Zaph

If they were actually recorded live I'd be completely understanding of it. That's not the case. They're playing something that's prerecorded and doesn't need to go out over the stream.

But the ads do need to go out if they want to immediately use the pre-rendered MP4 the Tricaster captures in real-time. Any edits (aside from heads and tails) would mean re-rendering the entire thing which takes hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom