• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

But that's a definitive, concrete exclusive that premium members would lose. The exclusiveness of watching live is worth less than the principal of not watching a premium stream with the ads?

Yes, take value away from my sub so I don't have to hear ads.

Honestly, the live bombast isn't a great premium feature. We get to hear shit like an hour early if we happen to be available. It doesn't make up for the lack of regular premium content, so I really don't see it as a concrete premium benefit. Make it free and I won't feel like I really had a change in the value of my sub.

Strax

Yeah man, I'm with ya! Missing out on all that hot footage of them staring at their phones and going to the bathroom while stock music plays.

I'd rather watch that to be frank but thats not the point.

I simply can't understand why a person paying a monthy fee, often many many months in advance, for a service can't complain when the people providing the service change the deal.

Went back to watch the Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Quick Look now that I've been playing the game for a bit...

man...

I miss Austin :(

he was a cool dude...

Ominym

Banned
I've been a Premium subscriber for some time and I always listened to the ad version of the Bombcast/Beastcast because I thought the ads were funny and a part of the experience. Am I scum?

Goron2000

best junior ever

I simply can't understand why a person paying a monthy fee, often many many months in advance, for a service can't complain when the people providing the service change the deal.

You can complain all you want but you won't convince me that's it's not dumb. This ad has absolutely no effect on your life.

Tubobutts

I've been a Premium subscriber for some time and I always listened to the ad version of the Bombcast/Beastcast because I thought the ads were funny and a part of the experience. Am I scum?
I also have always listened to the ad version despite being a premium member so yes.

If you don't want to hear the ads you could always stick your fingers in your ears, shout loudly over them or even walk away from your screen for a moment.

The possibilities are endless...

yami4ct

You can complain all you want but you won't convince me that's it's not dumb. This ad has absolutely no effect on your life.

Then why offer ad-free as a premium feature if it means nothing? Clearly it holds some value if it's worth locking up.

Getting super upset about this is dumb, but going 'hey, this is dumb and feels against what I subscribe for' seems fine to me.

Honestly, the live bombast isn't a great premium feature. We get to hear shit like an hour early if we happen to be available. It doesn't make up for the lack of regular premium content, so I really don't see it as a concrete premium benefit. Make it free and I won't feel like I really had a change in the value of my sub.

I watched it live today only for Dan news, of which there was none. I'll go back to the podcast version next week.

Ominym

Banned
Then why offer ad-free as a premium feature if it means nothing? Clearly it holds some value if it's worth locking up.

Getting super upset about this is dumb, but going 'hey, this is dumb and feels against what I subscribe for' seems fine to me.

I think the biggest problem here is the Internet at large has a problem with light discussion on things. I think (hope) most people realize that having ads on the video podcast is not a significant deal at all, let alone a deal-breaker in regard to Premium subscription. But when trying to discuss it as an idea, we get people shouting hyperbole about paid slaps/punches in the face which in turn blows away the rational discussion and just becomes a 'why are you freaking out over nothing?' debate rather than a 'I see where you're coming from but I disagree and here's why...' one.

just play lockdown in place of ads

That's the stupidest part of the whole discussion, because this is literally what it would be. Just playing stock music for the duration of the ad spot. The space is going to be there either way, why not fill it with content that is usually interesting and funny?

mhanna49

Neo Member
The only two reasons I download and listen to the bomb cast with ads:

1. It is a pain to add premium feeds in Pocket casts (yeah I know it doesn't take long to add)
2. The premium feed artwork is not correct in Pocket casts

Edit: Just switched back to Antennapod and doesn't have these issues. Antennapod looks better than it used to.

That's the stupidest part of the whole discussion, because this is literally what it would be. Just playing stock music for the duration of the ad spot. The space is going to be there either way, why not fill it with content that is usually interesting and funny?

whoa whoa whoa don't put words in my mouth

I didn't say "stock music," I said "Lockdown"

70JxW0b.png

Woah

KorrZ

I also have never downloaded the Ad-free podcast and have been a subscriber pretty much since they implemented it.

I don't see the big deal.

Hasney

I'm confused. They haven't gotten rid of the premium podcast without are that goes up around the same time it already did, so what in the deal has changed?

Patryn

I feel bad for Patrick. He keeps getting nice gigs, and then circumstances force him out.

I have little doubt Gawker's uncertain future is what led to his departure. And unfortunately I have little faith that Vice Gaming (which I also guess will be his final destination) will be around in 5 years.

Still, I wish him the best of luck.

If he does end up at Vice, that has to kind of suck. To have your replacement at GB end up as your boss? Ouch.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget about this new Rolling Stone gaming site. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a more important gig over there.

edit: Glixel is what it's called, stupid name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom