• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
70JxW0b.png

Woah

Patrick stealing Dan's fucking thunder. Way to go, dick.

Way to go to a place where your talents won't be wasted, hopefully.

Patryn

He hasn't been forced out at GB or at Kotaku. He is making the choice to leave.

Ok, forced out is a bit strong, but his father passing and him becoming isolated in Chicago led to his leaving GB, and then Gawker's uncertain future pretty much pushed him to jump ship at Kotaku. In a perfect world I'm not sure he would have left either.

And Glixel is a possibility. John Davison probably has another five minutes before he leaves, so there's currently a connection there.

Hasney

Obviously what's happening here is that Dan and Klepek are doing a road trip while Johnny V joins GBEast. Its so clear now.

Ok, forced out is a bit strong, but his father passing and him becoming isolated in Chicago led to his leaving GB, and then Gawker's uncertain future pretty much pushed him to jump ship at Kotaku. In a perfect world I'm not sure he would have left either.

And Glixel is a possibility. John Davison probably has another five minutes before he leaves, so there's currently a connection there.

Yeah at this point it's a good idea to jump ship from Kotaku if you have somewhere to land.

Is that really where John Davison is now?? That guy has been eeeeverywhere, and never for long.

Pleased for Patrick. If I was Austin or that new Glixel site, he'd be at the top of the list of hires. If he is somewhere else I would be surprised.

kuppy

Saw Jason Schreier tweet about Patrick leaving and thought 'Didn't he just start there'
It’s been an honor to be part of Team Kotaku for the last two years.
Oh right, it's actually been two years already.

Also I knew Patrick worked with Stephen at MTV Gaming before but not that Patrick send him a message here on GAF before that. Hah.

lol Patrick circling back to Giant Bomb would be increeeeeedible. I'd be so happy.

CBSi really made accommodations for him the first time, letting him move to Chicago and continue with the site, and he still left. I think upper management would actually put their foot down to the prospect of rehiring him.

Zaph

Jokes aside, I would be a bit surprised if it was Vice - would have thought they'd want full-time editors at the NY office, and Patrick just bought a house so he ain't going anywhere.

Maybe this has been answered, but is Austin's Vice job going to have an "office?" Or is it going to be more people working from home? Cause I'm pretty sure Patrick doesn't want to leave Chicago, right? I don't know, either way I'm interested in his future!

killroy87

CBSi really made accommodations for him the first time, letting him move to Chicago and continue with the site, and he still left. I think upper management would actually put their foot down to the prospect of rehiring him.

haha that's a whole lot of assumptions based on things we don't really know, but yeah, maybe.

Weetrick

Maybe this has been answered, but is Austin's Vice job going to have an "office?" Or is it going to be more people working from home? Cause I'm pretty sure Patrick doesn't want to leave Chicago, right? I don't know, either way I'm interested in his future!

He just bought a house so I imagine the new job will likely be in Chicago or remote.

One of the editors lives in the UK. So I doubt that living in NY is a requirement.

Neodyn

I've been a subscriber since the first few minutes that they started allowing them, but once you let ads start seeping in they'll only spread further. I'd have liked the guys to say something about this considering ad free videos and podcasts are still the advertised things on the premium upgrade page. Hopefully they'll change this or at least address it in the next few weeks as my membership is up in about a month and I won't be renewing if ad-free is no longer a feature. And for the "I love their ads!" brigade: That's cool, I'm glad you enjoy their silly ad reads. I don't. I pay them money to not get ads. Whatever premium videos we get are a cool bonus to that, but I pay for no ads.

What makes you think he'd want to be rehired? He seemed to be struggling to produce content at the end of his time at GB, constantly retooling or putting stuff on hiatus. I don't think Patrick alone in Chicago was a good fit for either GB or him, and that hasn't changed.

What if Jeff wasn't on the Bombcast today because he went for an interview at Vice?
What if Jeff wasn't on the Bombcast because he's interviewing for communications director for the Trump administration?

What makes you think he'd want to be rehired? He seemed to be struggling to produce content at the end of his time at GB, constantly retooling or putting stuff on hiatus. I don't think Patrick alone in Chicago was a good fit for either GB or him, and that hasn't changed.

Nothing makes me think that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom