• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

In the wake of all the polygon situation I was talking with some people on Twitter about this.

Even if you published a review every week or so, which is impossible, you'd still be earning a non living wage in most cities.

$300 for a review seems insane. I know it's the norm. But holy shit.

One reviewer responded when I asked how freelancers survive said "find a spouse with a real job"

Forget living wage, what about insurance? I guess in SF or New York you wouldn't need car insurance/car costs but that also means living in a super expensive city

killroy87

I get the impression that GameSpot is pivoting away from deep coverage of games and more into mainstream. Peter talked about on the Bombcast how they don't cover every game release anymore. They're launching that GameSpot Universe thing. I have noticed an overall shift in tone and content in their video production. Probably means uncertainty for a lot of the folks there that work heavily on gaming stuff.

Totally unrelated... pro tip for anyone trying to break into this industry: LEARN VIDEO.

I've never heard this term, is this the official name? Gamespot Universe might be the worst name for an umbrella site ever.

I need Vinny to coach Dan while Dan coaches Brad.

The twist here is that Brad is coaching Vinny.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

Anjin M

Dan hanging out at GBeast for the month really is the best outcome. It will be great to shake up the dynamics for a while.

This week was a wild ride and I'm glad we all had fun with it.

Dan hanging out at GBeast for the month really is the best outcome. It will be great to shake up the dynamics for a while.

This week was a wild ride and I'm glad we all had fun with it.

Think what could have been if Austin went to West office for a month and there was some kind of GB Newbie exchange program.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I want to know what the result of the Avatar bets that went down is. Only being there for a month isn't exactly moving.

Kimaka

I'm relieved that Dan isn't moving to Beast permanently. Jeff/Jason is the only Dan-less pairing that has chemistry on the west coast.

popo

Hitman live stream today, I hope that doesn't mean they won't stream any NMS. Seems like a missed opportunity. Although if Alex's copy is legit from the publisher then he might be embargoed.

Scizzy

I never get why people think Jeff/Brad don't have incredible chemistry. They're like two old comrades who've seen so much shit together that they always know what the other is thinking. Plus, I love how Brad knows more about video games than 99% of people who play games, but is always impressed by how much more Jeff knows than him.

popo

If you are really interested, CBS tend to tip their hands by having a corporate policy of advertising every job opening - even if the job inevitably goes to exactly who you expected it to.

So keep an eye out. If the next job posting is in SF or NY, it should be your next tangible hint.

Oh okay, people think that freelance writers get paid a lot. That's where we're at. Good.

edit: whoops I misread. Someone said "crazy" and I was thinking the other kind of crazy.

popo

I wonder if GBEast will do the NMS Quick-Look. That could be fun with Vinny, Alex, and Dan. Though, I could see Brad and Drew doing it also.

It is in the first big game in a while - I suspect plenty of coverage on the site from both coasts. We will likely be groaning about "not more NMS" by this time next week.

The name sounds like a site about all things Gamespot. It doesn't work.

It is the in phrase at the moment. Comic Universe, Cinematic Universe, etc. From the naming geniuses behind "<'br> room" and "Idea Forrest".

popo

Oh okay, people think that freelance writers get paid a lot. That's where we're at. Good.

edit: whoops I misread. Someone said "crazy" and I was thinking the other kind of crazy.

From what Gita said, anecdotally, some people do think they earn a lot. No way to quantify how many. I suspect most people think they earn less than a full salaried position but don't realise how low the rates are.

Curufinwe

I get the impression that GameSpot is pivoting away from deep coverage of games and more into mainstream. Peter talked about on the Bombcast how they don't cover every game release anymore. They're launching that GameSpot Universe thing. I have noticed an overall shift in tone and content in their video production. Probably means uncertainty for a lot of the folks there that work heavily on gaming stuff.

Totally unrelated... pro tip for anyone trying to break into this industry: LEARN VIDEO.

They have a horror podcast called Dead Air. I listened to the two episodes that focused on Stranger Things last night.

From what Gita said, anecdotally, some people do think they earn a lot. No way to quantify how many. I suspect most people think they earn less than a full salaried position but don't realise how low the rates are.

Those people probably haven't thought a lot, like, in general. You have to actually play the game, which takes time. If you're a freelancer you're probably buying a game yourself. And writing a good review isn't like banging out a forum post. Unless you're exclusively reviewing 2-hour games like Abzu, I doubt you're gonna get more than one, maybe 2, reviews done a week.

So I'm feeling like watching some Ryan content today for whatever reason, and I am watching Unprofessional Fridays: 05/10/13, and a question comes in from the chat to Rorie about if anyone has gotten into a fist fight.

Vinny tells the same story as he told on the latest Beastcast but much more abbreviated.

/coincidental story over

LiK

If freelance was so lucrative, I think we would see more people do it in the industry. But unless you earn a salary, it's not viable enough to bank your livelihood on it. Just hearing how little money you get per written piece means you probably need to just have it as a side gig.

TraBuch

Banned
I've always been under the impression that freelancers were just doing it as a side job while they work a more stable job somewhere else.

Sorry, I'm late to the party... But Dan's only gone to East coast for a month, right? That's cool, excited to see his chemistry with those guys...

Kinda silly there was a week long tease for Dan to be gone for like 4 weeks, but I guess we're weirdos over here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom