• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I started feeling legitimately ill when Kessler began going through his Dota 2 purchases. Not at him, man's free to do whatever he wants. But at the fucking beast of a machine that Valve has built around their chest/item economies of their games. Jesus Christ at spending money to level up a number. Simply amazing that Valve essentially lets people buy exp points for a one time event.

I haven't played dota in a good while, but man they even changed the chest opening animation to be more slot-machine-esque. The winnings slowly disappearing as it goes to what you got out of the chest feels like science went into creating the most appealing, endorphin firing animation they could.

Valve Corporation is one of the world leaders in finding ways to make money out of nothing.

MG310

The best purchase memory e-mail is the best.

Also Jeff B probably bought that 2nd PS2 from the same guy who sold me Mario 3 out of the little Toys R Us pharmacy booth.

micwp4o.png

congrats patick!

When I read this quickly the first time the words ran together and for a split second I thought it said Jurassic Klepek.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God I started feeling legitimately ill when Kessler began going through his Dota 2 purchases. Not at him, man's free to do whatever he wants. But at the fucking beast of a machine that Valve has built around their chest/item economies of their games. Jesus Christ at spending money to level up a number. Simply amazing that Valve essentially lets people buy exp points for a one time event.

I haven't played dota in a good while, but man they even changed the chest opening animation to be more slot-machine-esque. The winnings slowly disappearing as it goes to what you got out of the chest feels like science went into creating the most appealing, endorphin firing animation they could.

Its ruthlessly efficient. The one thing I'll say in its defense though is that its still very very possible to get "cool" stuff for amounts of money ranging from free to at most $30. All of that economy stuff really focuses on the absurdly rare modified items which have value for their rarity, but if all you want is to make your heros look good or to have a neat courier its entirely reasonable. That's my main problem with Overwatch, in comparison: a.) there's so much junk no-one would ever want and b.) even most of the non-legendary skins are fairly dull

Its predatory how they still lean on whales who will drop hundreds of dollars for a magic golden pudge courier, but on the other hand I like that I can buy (from multiple sources) or trade for a really cool set for my favorite hero for like $5

Brashnir

Its ruthlessly efficient. The one thing I'll say in its defense though is that its still very very possible to get "cool" stuff for amounts of money ranging from free to at most $30. All of that economy stuff really focuses on the absurdly rare modified items which have value for their rarity, but if all you want is to make your heros look good or to have a neat courier its entirely reasonable. That's my main problem with Overwatch, in comparison: a.) there's so much junk no-one would ever want and b.) even most of the non-legendary skins are fairly dull

How fucked up is the economy of DOTA that $30 for a cosmetic is considered a nice low, reasonable price?

Unless you meant 30 cents...

demidar

How fucked up is the economy of DOTA that $30 for a cosmetic is considered a nice low, reasonable price?

Unless you meant 30 cents...

You can get some good looking stuff for around $3 on the community market. Stuff with special effects might run you up to about $10. And you don't even need to gamble to get what you want.

The community market would be the first place to go to get something you want for really cheap. I think the Bastion announcer I got cost me a $1.

Any of yall do fantasy football? My league just had our draft and I'm feeling pretty confident after a terrible season last year.

Yea I play Fantasy, Drafted #9 overall this season, ended up with Both Julio Jones and AJ Green! My RB Depth is really shitty my starter is matt forte, but I've got a ton of solid WRs behind those two.

Took a chance on derrick henry in tennesee so if he breaks out I'll be set

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats to Dan! Patrick did that years ago, though. Just sayin'.

I saw some of those 1080s Jeff was talking about on the Bombcast at the new Best Buy in Delaware. I did not realize they cost $700.
They've slowly moved the consumer tier cards into higher prices and a lot of people are eating it up. They've done that before, too and it's kind of genius.
Only thing I don't like about it is that it can create the expectation (and I've heard stuff like that from GB) that $400+ cards are average prices for graphics cards, even when that's pretty niche.

Shadow of the Colossus
You monster

Ooh boy 115 dollars worth of digital goods for Paragon in a nvidia bundle must be the lamest thing ever
They couldn't even finish a match for the QL EX when they had someone from Epic there. And they just did an almost 2h QL of Madden lol

Kessler is hilarious.
I love Kessler.

I want to see him dress up as bruce villanch for halloween

tAP18rK.gif

How can it be the worst UPF if Rorie wasn't on it?

it was great not hearing chat and 'let me look that up' every 2 minutes

200.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks everyone.

Congratulated both on them twitters and on here! Congratulations duders, what a day.

---

Jeff & Drew venture into the mouth of Dota. A short story by Matt Kessler.

icMX9Uk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom