• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Eidos bringing back Deus Ex in a big way and redeeming Hitman makes me hope they don't abandon Thief after that one blunder.

I'd rather Eidos spent their big budget games somewhere other than another stealth game
2684197-tumblr_mb2oj0yp6n1rnt36vo1_1280.jpg

This is it right here. The mission design and level design is so good. Everything has multiple interesting routes to the goal. They all seem to be more than just I have X Aug, I have no challenge here now. There is always cool story hidden in the emails between the bit characters and the hub is insanely detailed. The way it changes throughout the story is really really cool.

I love how interconnected everything is -- I'll be sneaking around a hostile area and find a series of vents/paths that lead all the way back to a subway station or the basement of some store and just feel blown away that I could have taken so many different routes to get there.

Playing through it again, there's so many different, "Hey, this NPC is referenced in this seemingly unrelated email way before you meet them," or "Here's an apartment that relates to something else in the game, giving another side to the story" or "That shop or bar or restaurant I heard mentioned is actually right here, it's a real place in the game I can look at or walk inside."

In terms of "lived in" or "sense of place" it's on a whole new level for the immersive sim, beyond stuff that takes place in extremely constrained environments like Consortium.

kiguel182

So, I'm watching the first (second?) Unprofessional Friday and Drew is showing is crazy flight simulator set up and saying he is going to take his first flight lesson that weekend. Didn't he say something similar in the Bombcast or is it just now he is taking his license? Seems like a big stretch of time.

Maybe I'm just stuck in a time loop...

Im catching up on UPF right now and I gotta say Kessler seems like a pretty great dude. I wasn't following the site when he was an intern but hes great on camera.

Scizzy

Man, the grumpy old men discussion on social media was probably my least favorite Beastcast segment in months. Just cliche after cliche with no humor or insight and it went on forever. Thank God the next question about getting consoles as gifts when you were a kid came up, because all of that was fantastic.

Man, the grumpy old men discussion on social media was probably my least favorite Beastcast segment in months. Just cliche after cliche with no humor or insight and it went on forever. Thank God the next question about getting consoles as gifts when you were a kid came up, because all of that was fantastic.

Social media's for chumps. Don't be a chump.

So, I'm watching the first (second?) Unprofessional Friday and Drew is showing is crazy flight simulator set up and saying he is going to take his first flight lesson that weekend. Didn't he say something similar in the Bombcast or is it just now he is taking his license? Seems like a big stretch of time.

Maybe I'm just stuck in a time loop...

He said last week that he's actually getting his license to fly a small plane. So if the first UPF was his first lesson...I imagine it takes a while to get licensed? (I imagine he did it sporadically too, given how busy GB can get each year)

KingKong

The main plot is... just kinda there, but the sidequests and little environmental stories you find via emails and things you find blow everything in HR out of the water. Prague is the densest and probably best designed hub in the entire series. I spent ~30hr on the main game the first time through, and honestly I'd say more than half of my NG+ experience has been just finding new shit that I missed, or routes or options I didn't take.

I cant imagine what the game would have been like if they hadnt been forced to split it into two or three parts. I wish it was at least self contained so the story wasnt a complete cliffhanger

the problem with dota hats is that it's much less "main" focused than league is

like for league yeah buy a nice skin for your favorite dude

but in dota what do you even DO you're expected to play so many more heroes

I just had an anachronistic moment.

When they showed the publishers, Jeff mentions 'From Software' and said 'Oh shit Dark Souls coming to DS?'

Then for some reason I was like 'Wait Dark Souls didn't exist in 2005, how is this possible for him to know about it'

Tubobutts

Well tell every person who uses social media to not be so terrible.

That official Wii DVD movie thing never came out but you could play DVDs on your Wii by modding it.

There was an official Chinese Wii that played DVDs, but that's about it. Man I loved Battalion Wars and BWii. It was really hard to micromanage, though.

Edit: Strikers was awesome too. Why did that series end after the Wii?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just had an anachronistic moment.

When they showed the publishers, Jeff mentions 'From Software' and said 'Oh shit Dark Souls coming to DS?'

Then for some reason I was like 'Wait Dark Souls didn't exist in 2005, how is this possible for him to know about it'

For just a moment I thought "There's no way the SNES was out for 25 years in 2005" after Brad brought up the anniversary. To be fair I misheard him and thought he was talking about the timing of the video, not actually listening to a decade old commentary. I'm not that crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom