• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brashnir

I'd also love to see the return of Daily Dota. Hell, even Irregular Dota would be fun.

I'm one of the crazy people who enjoys Dota as a spectator sport, but avoids most Twitch streams because I find the streamers insufferable.

Same. There are a few streamers who are chill and tolerable, but none that I can think of that have the charm and chemistry of the Daily Dota crew. I do watch Crispy's streams, since he regularly has a bunch of the crew partied up with him when he streams.

deus ex is so good

i'm 10 hours into NG+ and there's so much shit I missed the first time around, it's insane how dense and alive this world is

Curufinwe

Man, i'm so conflicted with that new Resident Evil 4 port.

I really want to get it but by all accounts it seems to be a lazy port with the minimum possible effort put into it, and I don't want to reward that.

You spending $20 or not really doesn't make a difference.

I really can't believe Resident Evil 4 is still getting released. It's been over 10 years. It's a great game, but I was pretty satisfied playing it on the Gamecube in 2005.

Yes. The level design, the environments and art, the environmental storytelling, it's all absolutely fantastic and leaves Human Revolution in the dust.

That's exciting to hear. Aside from running benchmarks I haven't had a chance to mess around with it. Loved Human Revolution. Probably the game in the past five years I replayed the most.

I don't remember that one being particularly bad or particularly good, but I'm always up for game tapes.

Want to say 2005 is when Reggie pulls out the Gameboy Micro from his pocket. Might've been 2006. I know it happened after the DS came out. At a point they invite a random audience member to play Wii Tennis.

I really can't believe Resident Evil 4 is still getting released. It's been over 10 years. It's a great game, but I was pretty satisfied playing it on the Gamecube in 2005.

I get suckered every dame time (except the Wii version because I didn't have a Wii). Even the 360 and PS3 version each even though they're the same.

Yes. The level design, the environments and art, the environmental storytelling, it's all absolutely fantastic and leaves Human Revolution in the dust.

the only thing HR does marginally better is tell a cohesive story with an actual arc. but nuts and bolts, this one is way better.

I'm going to pass on RE4. I think I've reached a point where the mechanics have become too dated for me. Playing through RE5 right now and it feels like a chore for that reason. I dont' want to taint my memories of 4.

This guy in the Watch Dogs 2 gameplay video just said, verbatim, "There's some nice Normcore hoodies in here but I think we should go with the shirt with the giant skull on it."

If I'm getting an open world game this year, looks like it's Mafia III.

LiK

aw snap. i should probably pick it up soon. loved HR but wasn't in the mood to pick the new one up so soon.

That's exciting to hear. Aside from running benchmarks I haven't had a chance to mess around with it. Loved Human Revolution. Probably the game in the past five years I replayed the most.

Want to say 2005 is when Reggie pulls out the Gameboy Micro from his pocket. Might've been 2006. I know it happened after the DS came out. At a point they invite a random audience member to play Wii Tennis.

Wii Tennis was 2006.

I just finished Jazzpunk last night. MAN is that game short. I just started to get into it when it was suddenly over. I have trouble recommending it to anybody for anything more than $10 and that might be a bit high.

Volotaire

Everybody ready to watch the Nintendo E3 2005 press conference giant bomb style (game tapes) later today?

Yeh it was 2005. It also had the revolution whipped out of Iwata's pocket, virtual console announcement, and the second trailer (along with title) of Zelda TP.

I just finished Jazzpunk last night. MAN is that game short. I just started to get into it when it was suddenly over. I have trouble recommending it to anybody for anything more than $10 and that might be a bit high.

I've been meaning to get around to playing Jazzpunk. They've hinted at possible VR support, so maybe I'll wait for that.

I bought and finished Oxenfree this weekend. After playing though the Mr. Robot game, I wanted to see what else Night School Studios was capable of creating. It was a good game. Their writers are really good at capturing natural dialog between characters.

I'm gonna go back and get the Platinum for this one, I think.

jambo

Shit.

I heard Vinny talking about the subscription sale and then totally forgot that mine was set to renew at the end of August.

Auto renewed on the 28th.

Shit.

Scizzy

Shit.

I heard Vinny talking about the subscription sale and then totally forgot that mine was set to renew at the end of August.

Shit.

Email support. From what people have said, Rorie is pretty considerate about offering refunds in these situations.

Shit.

Shit.

The same thing happened with me. I e-mailed Rorie and he refunded the $15, though. He's a real duder.

Edit:
Yeh it was 2005. It also had the revolution whipped out of Iwata's pocket, virtual console announcement, and the second trailer (along with title) of Zelda TP.

Yeah, I remember a lot of people (including me) thought that the leak that listed Twilight Princess as the Zelda title was completely fake. The fact that the leak also listed Metroid Dread for the DS still stings.

Austin has posted a guest article praising The Witcher 2 on Vice, which offers me an opportunity to check in on my current playthrough of that game.

I think I'm finishing up Chapter 2. I'm more engaged with the game than I was earlier, and the combat has certainly forced me to explore more depth than just Quen and Roll, but...

I still don't quite get it. I've seen far too many people hold this series up as leaving Bioware in the dust, unfit to even lick CDPR's boots and I just don't see it. It's entertaining, but honestly I still prefer Dragon Age Origins and even Inquisition to it. I still just see a story that mostly relies on the fact that the people swear and have sex to add some depth. There were a few quests where there wasn't necessarily a clear good or evil choice, but I've seen other games do that.

I will give it credit for having such a radical choice and different Chapter 2s (and maybe 3s?). That's definitely something that Bioware didn't really do (although they did a bit with the whole Champions of the Just or In Hushed Whispers, but on a smaller scale).

It's a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me. I'm really curious to see how I react to the Witcher 3 when I get to it.
Since you mention Inquisition, do you enjoy playing that more? Because that game really wore me down mechanically.

3 is 2 mostly refined and blown up to an unbelievable scale, I'd wager you'll enjoy it more.

Lijik

special guest on the 404 this week
0826.jpg

I've found Mankind Divided very underwhelming compared to HR.

The main plot is... just kinda there, but the sidequests and little environmental stories you find via emails and things you find blow everything in HR out of the water. Prague is the densest and probably best designed hub in the entire series. I spent ~30hr on the main game the first time through, and honestly I'd say more than half of my NG+ experience has been just finding new shit that I missed, or routes or options I didn't take.

The main plot is... just kinda there, but the sidequests and little environmental stories you find via emails and things you find blow everything in HR out of the water. Prague is the densest and probably best designed hub in the entire series. I spent ~30hr on the main game the first time through, and honestly I'd say more than half of my NG+ experience has been just finding new shit that I missed, or routes or options I didn't take.
That sounds disappointing but I kinda expected for this game.

That sounds disappointing but I kinda expected for this game.

The best comparison I could make is maybe... Mass Effect 2, in that while tons of lives are at stake it still all feels like a diversion while the REAL important plot stuff gets set up for the sequel, except the final mission isn't so much a pulse pounding "it all comes to this!" but rather a super neat idea that would be very memorable as like, a mid-game thing or the end of a second act, but doesn't really feel like a Deus Ex ending should.

The sidequests are really great though, with tons of options and paths and they almost always end up coming back in some way.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

This is it right here. The mission design and level design is so good. Everything has multiple interesting routes to the goal. They all seem to be more than just I have X Aug, I have no challenge here now. There is always cool story hidden in the emails between the bit characters and the hub is insanely detailed. The way it changes throughout the story is really really cool.

Somehow the times on the upcoming schedule got messed up for me. Any idea on how to fix it? It seems to list everything in Eastern time, though I'm on the Pacific coast.

I love how interconnected everything is -- I'll be sneaking around a hostile area and find a series of vents/paths that lead all the way back to a subway station or the basement of some store and just feel blown away that I could have taken so many different routes to get there.

Eidos bringing back Deus Ex in a big way and redeeming Hitman makes me hope they don't abandon Thief after that one blunder.

That's a situation I didn't think about, I hope they give the right team Thief and the freedom to make it faithful to the originals while also modernizing it like Hitman/Deus Ex have done. I would be great to have another really good Thief game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom