• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

That's about right for my download speed on Steam. And I now have hundreds of gigs worth of games to install on my new PC, so it's gonna be a few days.

The Humble Monthly Bundle this month wasn't bad. Most of them were around a gig or two (or much less) in size. Great for me with my Canadian internet speeds.

ArjanN

Most ensemble movies don't pop through characters at the beginning this quickly. It's like a music video introduction, not a movie or story mode.

It's also a cheesy universe with a ton of goofy characters that you couldn't make much of a serious story out of anyway. I think it's fine for what it is and they actually overdelivered for what a story mode like this has to be. It's just a vehicle for some dumb plot and some neat fanservice that you play through once or twice and then go back to playing a couple thousand hours of multiplayer.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just starting out UPF, Microsoft Intellimouse and Logitech MX518 got me through a solid decade of computing. My MX518 broke last year and I've been lost ever since.

ArjanN

SAVAGE

Not unfair though. Brad pulling a major Brad was probably the highlight...? It's definitely one of the most Brads he's ever pulled.

I was expecting Brad to get gunned down in the garage by the like 6 guards surrounding the target, but I clearly underestimated Brad's ability to Brad.

Furi looked neat, I was already planning on getting that next week on Steam anyway.

The rest was just the usual way overselling the issues with SFV again, which was pretty bleh.

The rest was just the usual way overselling the issues with SFV again, which was pretty bleh.

Anjin, we know Jason's NeoGAF profile now so you can add it to the first post

it's not a full-on trainwreck but I feel bad for any non-esports guy that bought it full-price on day one

Had a long ass day, came back to some great ass content and excited for what's coming up!

tNScqzZ.png

Tagyhag

Drew and Jason out next week.
I hope Jeff does a home stream next week.

Man it must be awesome working in a company that let's their only 2 video producers go on vacation at the same time.

My boss would laugh in my face if I tried to get a day off at the same time as someone on my team.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yakuza is the most Dan game ever and he's not into those games. I imagine the Zero Escape games would fare far worse.

Moaradin

They played SFV on UPF? is it as bad as their talk on the latest bombcast? That shit was hard to sit through. So much uninformed garbage.

- J - D -

SFV story mode seems super dumb, and not even in a way I can appreciate.

Makes the SF animated movie look like The Godfather or something.

SFV story mode seems super dumb, and not even in a way I can appreciate.

People getting disappointed in that are nuts. Story mode was always going to be fucking ass. Has any element of SF storytelling outside of the movie not been utter balls?

They should have just focused on the systems and roster because that's what they're great at. Throw in a zero effort arcade mode for the numpties who bitch about single player content being lacking and an actual decent tutorial then they're good.

The reception for SFV really gets on my tits after Overwatch because it's a much better game with more features. However I guess Blizzard didn't make it so people have to complain non-stop about the missing tertiary features whilst the core game is excellent.

hamchan

Well I think SFV story mode is super dumb and is great for it. This is exactly the dumbness a story mode in this franchise should have.

- J - D -

People getting disappointed in that are nuts. Story mode was always going to be fucking ass. Has any element of SF storytelling outside of the movie not been utter balls?

They should have just focused on the systems and roster because that's what they're great at. Throw in a zero effort arcade mode for the numpties who bitch about single player content being lacking and an actual decent tutorial then they're good.

The reception for SFV really gets on my tits after Overwatch because it's a much better game with more features. However I guess Blizzard didn't make it so people have to complain non-stop about the missing tertiary features whilst the core game is excellent.

You carry a lot of expectations into this discussion. I have none. I never said I was disappointed because to be disappointed means I had some expectations for what it could've/should've been. I'm saying it looks super dumb for something Capcom was dangling in front of buyers old and prospective like a consolation or a gimme depending on perspective. I'm not a big SF fan, so from my outside perspective, this story mode looks like it ain't my thing. Granted, I don't really require much from fighting game story modes, only that they come in the box on the disc at launch. I guess then that that's my only real expectation.

I don't really care about Overwatch. Never played it, probably never will. But comparing SFV with some other game with some other kind of lineage of some other genre for some other fanbase with some other set of expectations seems foolish to me. There are reasons people like Overwatch, and from what I've followed on Gaf over the past month, there has also been some healthy criticizing of that game for it's slightness of features as well.

Overwatch being slight on features doesn't make SFV's situation any better. It's just some other situation.

You carry a lot of expectations into this discussion. I have none. I never said I was disappointed because to be disappointed means I had some expectations for what it could've/should've been. I'm saying it looks super dumb for something Capcom was dangling in front of buyers old and prospective like a consolation or a gimme depending on perspective. I'm not a big SF fan, so from my outside perspective, this story mode looks like it ain't my thing. Granted, I don't really require much from fighting game story modes, only that they come in the box on the disc at launch. I guess then that that's my only real expectation.

I don't really care about Overwatch. Never played it, probably never will. But comparing SFV with some other game with some other kind of lineage of some other genre for some other fanbase with some other set of expectations seems foolish to me. There are reasons people like Overwatch, and from what I've followed on Gaf over the past month, there has also been some healthy criticizing of that game for it's slightness of features as well.

Overwatch being slight on features doesn't make SFV's situation any better. It's just some other situation.

My SF point was that the SF story mode was always going to be super dumb. You can critique Capcom for dangling it (and rightly so) but the story mode was always going to be stupid and people should have accepted that with it being a story mode. If it was a world tour it could be good, if it was some Tobal shit it could be good, if it was a VF Evo Quest mode it could be good but people seem to want to throw a huge tizzy about wanting single player content as an arcade mode or story mode where it doesn't seem to matter about quality it just matters that it's there.

As for the rest I wasn't targeting you specifically, just that people like to shit on SFV whilst praising Overwatch when SF is a much more sound game on a competitive level and is much better balanced.

- J - D -

As opposed to the other sf stories where the story wasn't super dumb.

You know what it is? I just realized what it is.

It's true that SF stories have always been dumb, but they've also always been slight little trivial, frivolous throwaway things. But this, this obviously has had some significant work put into it. The elaborate cutscenes, animations, and voice work, they're all signs of effort put into this mode. That effort and the presentation that results no longer qualifies it as just a dumb fun throwaway thing. I feel like they're taking this seriously, and that actually comes off as a net negative, like an inverse relationship between production value and enjoyment.

It puts the effort into the same category as what MK and Injustice have been doing, and it fails by comparison. It can't even be a simple dumb fun thing anymore, either. It's a dumb thing writ large and with a lot of money (but also 5 months late).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom