• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, picked up 999 on recommendation from a bunch of people including Griffin McElroy.

Made a choice semi-early on because I was curious what the game would do and now I feel like a monster. Have to turn it off for the night.

More fighting games need an action RPG dungeon crawler mode.

When people bitch about fighting game not having single player they should be talking about the Tobal roguelike shift because that was dope.

Also if I wanted to get into the 999 series with Zero Escape at full price what would be the cheapest way in doing so?

Anjin M

If I don't get to take Rise and her best swimsuit to the beach because of some dumb TV murderer, I'm going to be pissed.

Um. I mean....

Can't wait to watch this Mario and Sonic quick look. Looks like a good one.

Specifically all of the weird alt-science bullshit feels very Kojima like

Kojima can't even get basic shit like recessive genes right, let alone "super science" and all the other stuff, real and fictional, in the Zero Escape games.

Esit: On the other hand, I really have to give whoever wrote MGS2 credit for that SSS stuff. That was fucking prescient.

Oh, the puzzleless version. Slightly less boring, but still a visual novel.

At the end of the day, stories are stories. Books, movies, shows, comics all lack light/heavy attacks and active reloading and brick breaking and drifting for score and a button for iron sights. A fun story's a fun story, even if the framework is just kind of some static images and a few portraits.that happens, no matter how small, is affecting the decision I know will be eventually coming up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
At the end of the day, stories are stories. Books, movies, shows, comics all lack light/heavy attacks and active reloading and brick breaking and drifting for score and a button for iron sights. A fun story's a fun story, even if the framework is just kind of some static images and a few portraits.that happens, no matter how small, is affecting the decision I know will be eventually coming up.

Well I'll just say that you have to make every decision if you want to see the true nature of the game.

TraBuch

Banned

I have no problem with stories. I have a problem with stories when they're badly in need of an editor to trim some shit down, like every visual novel ever made.

Sayers

The in-depth discussion of the Mario canon made the Mario & Sonic at the Olympics QL so much better than I thought it would be.

justjim89

Jesus, playing Overwatch at 1080p 60fps on Ultra is a hell of a lot better than when I was playing at 20 fps on low. Go figure. Even my actual performance in-game is better.

TraBuch

Banned
No.

It is considered one of the best strategy games of the past decade though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it despite Rance literally being an anime rapist dude. That's how much I dug the gameplay and character recruiting and all that. I ended up trying Big Bang Age afterwards because somebody recommended it to me and I couldn't get into it at all.

Am I imagining things or was there a PS3 game that had a really similar battle system to Sengoku Rance?

Watch Evo Fam. Seriously just play a match of it. The story mode suck but the game is so good.

Yup, as a guy who's casual about fighting games, I still get excited for EVO matches.

No don't. The iOS version is a very stripped down version of the DS version.

I guess if you can't get it for the DS/3DS you should pick that up but it's inferior in almost every single way.

I had a feeling. Well, I might as well get the new 3DS since I've always wanted one ever since my brother bought his. It's the only way I got to try out Rhythm Heaven Megamix, thinking I may get one within the next week or so. This will be a first of me to get Handhelds from Sony and Nintendo within the same generation they're in. (I'm not even sure that Sony is going to make another handheld, Nintendo is a possibility though).

FStop7

Banned
Street Fighter V is on the DriveClub plan: start off bad and greatly improve over time. I'm not a fan. It puts a burden on the customer. Early adopters get a very poor experience but pay full price. But if enough people don't buy the game it doesn't get improved. And even if it does improve it may not be enough to overcome its initial reputation. Evolution is gone because it's a bad model.

jaina

I played and finished Limbo because of all the Inside praise.

Why do people like this so much? The minimalism?
Indie games have come a long way since 8 years ago, that's also a factor. The minimalism and atmosphere was quite unique.
But I did not play it until 2012, so I'm no contemporary witness. To me it's the Bioshock of indie games.

Wunder

Brad is lost without Dan

Seriously, it was pretty funny how fast he died. And everyone was saying that he'd do better without Dan lol

The indecision he had choosing his loadout already led me to believe it was going to go poorly very fast. I just didn't realize it would go bad that fast. I'm glad they are committed to the single try method though, would defeat the purpose if you just kept retrying it!

Street Fighter V is on the DriveClub plan: start off bad and greatly improve over time. I'm not a fan. It puts a burden on the customer. Early adopters get a very poor experience but pay full price. But if enough people don't buy the game it doesn't get improved. And even if it does improve it may not be enough to overcome its initial reputation. Evolution is gone because it's a bad model.

SFV will be fine compared to Driveclub. If FGC heads can keep Mahvel alive after all these years, the community will stick with SFV long after Capcom continues to support it (and they show no indication of stopping) as it's already shattered records for entries in a single game at like every tourney.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You know what it is? I just realized what it is.

It's true that SF stories have always been dumb, but they've also always been slight little trivial, frivolous throwaway things. But this, this obviously has had some significant work put into it. The elaborate cutscenes, animations, and voice work, they're all signs of effort put into this mode. That effort and the presentation that results no longer qualifies it as just a dumb fun throwaway thing. I feel like they're taking this seriously, and that actually comes off as a net negative, like an inverse relationship between production value and enjoyment.

It puts the effort into the same category as what MK and Injustice have been doing, and it fails by comparison. It can't even be a simple dumb fun thing anymore, either. It's a dumb thing writ large and with a lot of money (but also 5 months late).
I mean, they made a 3 hour story mode with about 75% of the assets already in a fighting game anyway. It is a dumb little thing and they had fun with it, too

Moaradin

SFV story mode actually has a lot of unique assets. Capcom definitely put a lot of effort into it.

Not sure what standard people are comparing it to. I had more fun with it compared to the recent MK story modes, and everybody loves those. It's just mindless fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. Can't really ask for more for my SF lore.

I'm almost done with it now, and I didn't think it was any better or worse than the MK story modes. If you like SF and like having fun with the lore, this will be a fun cool thing for you. And it's something you can definitely slap on the box for the casual market who are unsure if they want to purchase it.

Houndi101

I've been contemplating on purchasing SFV on PC for the last day or so.
I have a stick and everything but goddamn I sort of want something coherent or tangible to work at to get better or something but I guess that's not something that really exist in any multiplayer competitive game?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You get better by playing man. The game is fun, just get it. You can always make a lobby with a GAFer if you really fear online. But online has "casual match" and lobbies where you can pick your opponent, too.

I've been contemplating on purchasing SFV on PC for the last day or so.
I have a stick and everything but goddamn I sort of want something coherent or tangible to work at to get better or something but I guess that's not something that really exist in any multiplayer competitive game?

Only way to get better is to play. We all gotta start somewhere and it's the most casual friendly fighting game on the market (that's not smash). You just gotta be prepared to take a whole lot of Ls before you start seeing the Ws.

Edit: yeah, PS4 and PC are crossplay.

Houndi101

You get better by playing man. The game is fun, just get it. You can always make a lobby with a GAFer if you really fear online. But online has "casual match" and lobbies where you can pick your opponent, too.

Yeah it's strange, whatever I could play any FPS shooter online whenever and not mind if I didn't clearly improve. But goddamn the idea of doing Starcraft or fighting games...

PC and PS4 share a pool of players right?

def sim

SFV story mode actually has a lot of unique assets. Capcom definitely put a lot of effort into it.

Not sure what standard people are comparing it to. I had more fun with it compared to the recent MK story modes, and everybody loves those. It's just mindless fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. Can't really ask for more for my SF lore.

The effort is recognized and I hope people like it or are curious enough to buy the game, but the story? Is that what people want out of Street Fighter? It's definitely in line with what they've put out but, now that they've made it into this big thing, I can't help but dislike it more? I understand what JD means in this case. It's a bad story.

Mika and Zangief stuff is cute, though.

convo

MKX was a lot shorter than MK8 which was the entire MK Trilogy, so it was gonna dissapoint. What's funny is i think because MKX had too few stages so that they were falling over themselves to fit the story mode in those. But of course the Bomb crew would only remember the story mode before the latest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom