• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #23 | See you Space Cowboy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

convo

SFV story mode seems super dumb, and not even in a way I can appreciate.

Makes the SF animated movie look like The Godfather or something.

Street Fighter lore has since that movie featured the Illuminati and this clown looking guy
Sfiii3s_portgill.gif

When i first heard of third strike i thought whatever "story" people were talking about was some dumb shit. But i became less illiterate and snobby with time so i can't be more exited to see what comes next in this stupid 100% anime fighting game series.

hamchan

People seem to really like that Street Fighter Assassin's Fist series but I found that incredibly boring. SFV story mode was much better.

- J - D -

Street Fighter lore has since that movie featured the Illuminati and this clown looking guy

When i first heard of third strike i thought whatever "story" people were talking about was some dumb shit. But i became less illiterate and snobby with time so i can't be more exited to see what comes next in this stupid 100% anime fighting game series.

In that case I think SFV could've gone even more ridiculous. As it is, it's kinda stuck in that awkward spot between self-serious and ridiculous. None of the character designs are really outlandish in the way that Gill is either, sadly.

while I don't always use them as a barometer for (funny) dumb, no one on the GB couch during UPF found anything in the story mode particularly funny dumb. They all just looked bored. And that's how I see it too. The writing isn't good enough that a legit try at a serious story is even possible here (a la SFII The Animated Movie), but it isn't intentionally or unintentionally goofy/corny/silly to be great in that sense either.

The effort is recognized and I hope people like it or are curious enough to buy the game, but the story? Is that what people want out of Street Fighter? It's definitely in line with what they've put out but, now that they've made it into this big thing, I can't help but dislike it more? I understand what JD means in this case. It's a bad story.

Mika and Zangief stuff is cute, though.

I do really like Mika and Zangief in this, I will say.

convo

while I don't always use them as a barometer for (funny) dumb, no one on the GB couch during UPF found anything in the story mode particularly funny dumb. They all just looked bored.

I wouldn't pay to watch GB watch movies no matter how much i like them, Peter might have given them a better reaction. I don't particulary hear good things about their attempts at movie commentaries either. Asura's Wrath might be an exeption because they can't predict those anime cliches.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Would've been fun to see what the Asura's Wrath people would have done with the story. CyberConnect2 is close to Capcom anyway and it's both Unreal Engine.

- J - D -

I wouldn't pay to watch GB watch movies no matter how much i like them, Peter might have given them a better reaction. I don't particulary hear good things about their attempts at movie commentaries either. Asura's Wrath might be an exeption because they can't predict those anime cliches.

Brad is an anime expert and Rorie wrote movie reviews on some such movie web site. If I can't trust them who can I trust.

Would've been fun to see what the Asura's Wrath people would have done with the story. CyberConnect2 is close to Capcom anyway and it's both Unreal Engine.

Yoooo. Man there's an idea.

kuppy

Well here's a stupid idea I've got after watching that Mario & Sonic Olympics Quick Look.
@DanielRyckert a twitter account quoting only the most professional statements by yours truly. Feel free to run with that, the twitter handle is actually available.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It is so hot here. It's too hot to stay inside and WAAAAAY too hot to go outside. I'm doomed. Remember me as a hero.
At least I have 55 minutes of Sonic and that other guy at the Olympics.

Oxirane

I hope they put out more Monster Hunter content than just a quick look. I really wanted the Teach Me Monster Hunter video from MH4U to continue into more content.

A longer series with Jason and Drew helping someone (like Brad) get to the end game would be great. Or maybe something shorter, like a video of Brad (or Jeff) trying to kill the first large monster using different weapons. Which would also allow them to record content without needing to spend too much time playing off camera.

I hope they put out more Monster Hunter content than just a quick look. I really wanted the Teach Me Monster Hunter video from MH4U to continue into more content.

A longer series with Jason and Drew helping someone (like Brad) get to the end game would be great. Or maybe something shorter, like a video of Brad (or Jeff) trying to kill the first large monster using different weapons. Which would also allow them to record content without needing to spend too much time playing off camera.

It would also be fun to get the community involved for different hunts. Restrict it by rank so that they're not just blowing through big hunts.

Scizzy

Vinny's signal-dad joke ratio on the Beastcast is growing very, very lopsided. It leads to a bunch of laughs, but there are a lot of derailed discussions that are casualties too.

justjim89

Brad should really play Hitman more often, at home or on the site. He could really benefit from learning the maps more, and it would still be entertaining to watch him play. Run through a couple of escalations, or try to complete a few more of the opportunities.

Blablurn

I wonder how much they earn at Giantbomb

Especially when u hear Dan saying stuff like "yeah, i bought that, and that etc"

but maybe his book business is just booming

kuppy

Especially when u hear Dan saying stuff like "yeah, i bought that, and that etc"

Don't recall what you are referring to especially, but if you are in the video games industry as a critic one would think that it becomes fairly easy to convince yourself to spend money towards that. I guess you could compare it to artist spending way too much money on monthly art supplies. You are building your portfolio in a way.
Also as far as game expenses go, aren't they partially getting those back through tax returns.

Dan has a full time job with benefits, zero children, lives with his girlfriend and doesn't have a car. His cost of living outside of rent is actually really low. When you're single or not married you don't need a huge salary to have a lot of money to spend on entertainment and yourself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What were those crazy television mixtape vhses they were talking about a few years ago. I know I've seen them but I cannot remember the name.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Don't recall what you are referring to especially, but if you are in the video games industry as a critic one would think that it becomes fairly easy to convince yourself to spend money towards that. I guess you could compare it to artist spending way too much money on monthly art supplies. You are building your portfolio in a way.
Also as far as game expenses go, aren't they partially getting those back through tax returns.

They can expense a fair amount of stuff most likely through their job, but also yea you can file stuff that allows you to do your job in your taxes at the end of the year as research and development.

Vinny's signal-dad joke ratio on the Beastcast is growing very, very lopsided. It leads to a bunch of laughs, but there are a lot of derailed discussions that are casualties too.
I disagree. There is a silliness to that podcast that keeps it engaging and interesting far more than the slog that is the Giant Jeffcast. I'll miss Austin's insight, opinions and thoughtfulness dearly but the fact that the Beastcast was as good as it was a week after losing 1/4 of their crew and someone as good and important as Austin is pretty amazing and leaves me very hopeful for what has become my favorite part of GB.

Vinny is a master at getting the best out of the people he works with and playing to their strengths. I really like Alex but he's so much better in the situation they have on the East Coast than he would be out West. He's grown leaps and bounds as a personality due in large part to how Vinny highlights him.

The QL of Sonic/Mario at the Olympics kind of annoyed me because of how good it was and how once again Vinny played to the people he was working with' strengths. It was nice to hear Dan say whatever came in to his head and it not be met with a Brad 'Whaaaaat? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? Let's move on.' There was a nice tone that matched much more closely to the 2012 version of GB that I loved. Can Dan just live in NY now for my personal enjoyment? Thanks.

hamchan

I'm gonna guess not much. It's gaming journalism, there ain't money in it.

The tradeoff is that they get to do something they actually enjoy as a job, something that most people don't have.

Myggen

The commentaries are in general pretty great, everything is as always subjective obviously. I always wonder who people "hear" things from. People pay them to watch press conferences and plenty of other things, movies aren't any different.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On the financial side, if I ran a website that was entirely internet focused and video focused, I don't know why I would do it in San Francisco. How often do they even have guests or QLEXs on lately?

Move that shit out to like Delaware, make the same income, put the site in a house and not pay the ridiculous prices of living in San Francisco.

On the financial side, if I ran a website that was entirely internet focused and video focused, I don't know why I would do it in San Francisco. How often do they even have guests or QLEXs on lately?

Move that shit out to like Delaware, make the same income, put the site in a house and not pay the ridiculous prices of living in San Francisco.

We'd even get a 2 day E3 drive cast out of it! Perfect :D

Ashby

Yeah, I've always assumed they must all have a great salary because Brad and Dan can actually afford SF rent.

KingKong

It's going to turn out that they've all been embezzling funds from CBS. Isn't it suspicious that they keep saying they don't have the money to buy new equipment? Think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom