• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Maybe it's already been mentioned here but I would LOVE a documentary from Danny about Jeff and his departure from Gamespot and the creation of Giant Bomb. I know we've gotten pieces of it with interviews with Jeff and the "How to Make a Bomb" videos... But it was such a crazy thing at the time and it would be pretty cool to have a well produced video about the whole thing.

Anyone know when they'll open a job req. for the open spot in GB West? How was that process when they hired Austin (I wasn't around for that bit. I started paying more attention when he started working for them)? I heard that they read bad resumes and cover letters on the podcast. Is this true?

Yeah they tore into a bunch of failed applicants, it was really rough to listen to.

kiguel182

I had issues last week on my Android tablet. Fortunately this a YouTube stream.

I had to open the stream on the youtube app for it to work. Really weird.

Also it said my browser was too old for the chat. Which obviously isn't the case. They are probably changing some back end stuff and it's kinda messed up right now.

Anyone know when they'll open a job req. for the open spot in GB West? How was that process when they hired Austin (I wasn't around for that bit. I started paying more attention when he started working for them)? I heard that they read bad resumes and cover letters on the podcast. Is this true?

IIRC this was the only time they had to take down a podcast and put up a new edit.

Jeff really went to town on those fucking jobber bloggers and CBSi got involved.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The nWo was most definitely running a business, Dan

of all the wrestling stables, they were the MOST trying to run a business

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think I still have the unedited file of that podcast on my PC somewhere. I couldn't listen to all of it tbh, it was rough.
Though some of those letters were....really bad. Remember the one with the dog or whatever? Geez, some people

robotrock

Banned
Maybe it's already been mentioned here but I would LOVE a documentary from Danny about Jeff and his departure from Gamespot and the creation of Giant Bomb. I know we've gotten pieces of it with interviews with Jeff and the "How to Make a Bomb" videos... But it was such a crazy thing at the time and it would be pretty cool to have a well produced video about the whole thing.

A wonderful idea. Would love to see something like that!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
WOW
Who thought making you do a slidepuzzle to craft something is a good idea? Fuck this game (just watched the Tomorrow Children QL)

What exactly did they say about the failed applicants? Do you remember?

It's fuzzy but I remember one of them included a website and it had a fucking hit counter on it (remember them?) and the number of hits they'd had on their site since 1996 was below four figures.

You gotta feel sorry for them but some of these people think you can just plug an elgato and a blue yeti in and work for Kotaku.

Oh, so Danny is going to also be doing some Twitch streaming... I guess he got partnered. That's a nice way to make extra income, and more Danny is never a bad thing.

It's fuzzy but I remember one of them included a website and it had a fucking hit counter on it (remember them?) and the number of hits they'd had on their site since 1996 was below four figures.

You gotta feel sorry for them but some of these people think you can just plug an elgato and a blue yeti in and work for Kotaku.

I think this is where the gullible comments came from. A younger generation that has heard plenty of youtubers tell them that all you need is some capture software and a microphone to work in videogames.

daydream

Banned
I think this is where the gullible comments came from. A younger generation that has heard plenty of youtubers tell them that all you need is some capture software and a microphone to work in videogames.

well, and the fact that they picture the job as some kind of fairyland in which all they do is play videogames

it was a sobering conversation about the industry. i wouldn't wanna have my livelihood depend on it, that's for sure

jaina

Man. All my stuff is written. No videos or podcasts. Might need to get on that soon.
Specifically for Giant Bomb, yeah I think video/podcast experience is kind of necessary. Even if it's just your own small little thing.

Edit: And for today's occasion, see what Danny wrote about "Understand video" in 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81410389&postcount=8 (but some of his opinion has probably changed by now, e.g. because of crowd funding)

Specifically for Giant Bomb, yeah I think video/podcast experience is kind of necessary. Even if it's just your own small little thing.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I'm in a graduate program where we basically sit in a small forum and criticize literature for hours. Not sure if that counts lol

Top Bottom