• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Didn't catch the Recore stream but I doubt I'll watch it since I'm getting the game already. I'm always interested in new IP, even when it turns out to be just OK.

Patrick_Bateman_head_nod.gif~c200

Specifically for Giant Bomb, yeah I think video/podcast experience is kind of necessary. Even if it's just your own small little thing.

Edit: And for today's occasion, see what Danny wrote about "Understand video" in 2013: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81410389&postcount=8 (but some of his opinion has probably changed by now, e.g. because of crowd funding)

Yeah and nowadays it's even harder so, you gotta stand out and show what you're worth. Not to mention the unpredictable nature of the industry.

As much as it's kind of a dream job of wanting to be working in vidya games, I'll have to want that dream so badly because basically I'll have to change my current life inside and out for it. Thankfully, I am expecting some fantastic news soon concerning something far from vidya games which I'll be talking about on here with you guys for some advice.

Bowlie

Banned
Anyway, the new hire may happen next year, you have time to work on your aspects; best of luck!

And who knows, maybe they realized the mistake and won't do that kind of thing anymore.

Anyway, the new hire may happen next year, you have time to work on your aspects; best of luck!

And who knows, maybe they realized the mistake and won't do that kind of thing anymore.

I think they'll be extra careful at this point, they were sort of lucky to catch it so early last time.

BearPawB

Banned
I think who they hire is going to come down to how they label the opening.

Is it a "NEWS PERSON" or is it just another editor/personality?

If it is an editor/personality, i think a "random" person has very little chance....
For "news editor" I think it is a little more open.

So wait, no one has an archive of this meanness?

I think who they hire is going to come down to how they label the opening.

Is it a "NEWS PERSON" or is it just another editor/personality?

If it is an editor/personality, i think a "random" person has very little chance....
For "news editor" I think it is a little more open.

So wait, no one has an archive of this meanness?

It's possible that somebody does but the odds of them being in this thread seems low as it was such a long time ago and also taken down so quickly that i'd be surprised if it's still floating around in a way that's easily accessible.

Was Austin relatively unknown when they picked him up? If so I wonder if they'll go the oposite way this time around. Plenty of people out there that used to work for big outlets just waiting to bite on that, I'm sure.

yami4ct

Was Austin relatively unknown when they picked him up? If so I wonder if they'll go the oposite way this time around. Plenty of people out there that used to work for big outlets just waiting to bite on that, I'm sure.

He had had a few pieces that had gained traction by that point for sure and he had made appearances on some decently sized podcasts as well.

Austin did stuff for Paste, but yeah he was relatively unknown?

FStop7

Banned
Chris Metzen just retired from Blizzard.

I know if you asked "What single studio/dev has most shaped your experience" it'd probably be close to unanimous for Nintendo/Miyamoto... but for me I think it would be Blizzard and Metzen.

Chris Metzen just retired from Blizzard.

I know if you asked "What studios and designers in the game industry has most shaped your experience" it'd probably be close to unanimous for Nintendo/Miyamoto... but for me I think it would be Blizzard and Metzen.

KOJIMMMAAAAA

But yeah, it's obviously going to be ultra competitive regardless of who you are and what you've done. Might as well toss a name in there if you have stuff on your resume.

jambo

I hopped back on to Patreon to help Danny out.

I've never actually watched much of his video work, but the Liberty City video was great, so I'll dive back in to the rest soon enough.

Coming to the end of a three year stint in a job, I can say with confidence that there's a lot to be said for keeping your passions and work life separate.
Yes indeed. I wrote my thesis on video games while also trying to write reviews and record a podcast for a friend's game blog and I occasionally felt like I was going mad. I've been much happier ever since I finished the thesis, dropped the blog and relegated games firmly to the hobby pile.

Top Bottom