• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

BearPawB

Banned
Giant Bomb: Leave Your Ambitions at the Door

Hehe... I just have a "I don't give a shit" problem.

With people I actually want to follow online I'll be nice. For the rest I'll be snarky

I have gotten blocked by a few people for making a snarky tweet. But sometimes people say some dumb shit that I cant help but call out

Curufinwe

Tested is such a bummer these days.They just have no focus, and Adam Savage is unbearable. Everything on the site just feels so self-indulgent.

Will, on the other hand, is doing a live FOO Show interview with the Quadrilateral Cowboy guy INSIDE THE GAME. I can't for that stuff to start putting out content, it's one of my favorite VR things.

Unbearable and self-indulgent are the words I think of when I think of Will Smith. Also ignorant. Tested is better off without him.

justjim89

#HireGeorgeWeidman

Super Bunnyhop is one of the best channels on Youtube, and he approaches things from an academic and critical standpoint very similar to Austin.

Might not be very funny, though.

LiK

#HireGeorgeWeidman

Super Bunnyhop is one of the best channels on Youtube, and he approaches things from an academic and critical standpoint very similar to Austin.

he has a lot of dry humor that i enjoy. altho i highly doubt he would mesh with Vinny's sense of humor.

BearPawB

Banned
#HireGeorgeWeidman

No youtuber wants to join a real site.
Because CBS doesn't want people having content outside the site.
And he isn't going to give up his persona just to work for the man

*note* i have no idea who super bunnyhop is and continue to be out of touch with youtube personalities

Will does frustrate me when he talks about building PCs because he always over complicates a very simple process.

But I got a lotta love for the Smith. I'd love him to be on the Bombcast more often. And to sit down with TF2 and Quake on a stream.

tomhan

I saw this on the Danny leaving thread but is it a widely known fact that www.videogames.com now redirects to Giant Bomb and not Gamespot. It's been pointed out to me that I'm probably reading to much into it but I just find it odd that I've never heard it mentioned on GB. I feel like Jeff would be pretty damn proud of this in an ironic sort of way.

I am older though and think generic domain names matter more than they do.

Megasoum

Banned
I saw this on the Danny leaving thread but is it a widely known fact that www.videogames.com now redirects to Giant Bomb and not Gamespot. It's been pointed out to me that I'm probably reading to much into it but I just find it odd that I've never heard it mentioned on GB. I feel like Jeff would be pretty damn proud of this in an ironic sort of way.

I am older though and think generic domain names matter more than they do.

He mentionned it a couple of times. He's the one that made the switch happen right before E3.

kiguel182

#HireGeorgeWeidman

I like Super Bunnyhop but he seems way to serious to be part of Giant Bomb. Austin was an academics guy but he was also incredibly funny. Especially with improv stuff.

Man, I miss Austin.

imBask

Banned
Hire Dunkey BAYYBEEEE

but seriously there's a bunch of hard working, funny youtubers they should look into and that's a great way of recruiting people for a company like them

BearPawB

Banned
Hire Dunkey BAYYBEEEE

but seriously there's a bunch of hard working, funny youtubers they should look into and that's a great way of recruiting people for a company like them

Again I will say,
why would any youtuber want to work at giant bomb?
You think CBS is still going to let them run an independent youtube channel on the side?
Because I doubt any youtuber would ever want to give up their subscriber base.

"why are you making videos for your personal website when you should be spending your time on videos for us"

#HireGeorgeWeidman

Sure he's academic, but I think Austin was both super academic and hilarious. He's a special talent and I don't think they'll be able to find someone at that level. If they can just get someone who's funny and has some interest in social issues, that's fine with me.

Catvoca

Banned
Again I will say,
You think CBS is still going to let them run an independent youtube channel on the side?

"why are you making videos for your personal website when you should be spending your time on videos for us"

I think YouTubers who put out good content but don't make enough money to do it full time might want to work for a site like GiantBomb.

Also, Danny had his own YouTube channel with gaming videos and Dan streams on twitch so i don't know how strict CBS actually are about this stuff.

BearPawB

Banned
I think YouTubers who put out good content but don't make enough money to do it full time might want to work for a site like GiantBomb.

Also, Danny had his own YouTube channel with gaming videos and Dan streams on twitch so i don't know how strict CBS actually are about this stuff.

that is all during non-work hours.
I don't think any youtuber could keep up with their current content level AND work a full time job. And do dan and danny monetize their vids?

And by all accounts GB and CBS in general don't pay that well (compared to other industries, they seem competitive within the game sphere)

Although im sure CBS health and retirement plans are better than a lot of places

Catvoca

Banned
I don't think any youtuber could keep up with their current content level AND work a full time job.

And by all accounts GB and CBS in general don't pay that well (compared to other industries, they seem competitive within the game sphere)

Yeah, they'd obviously have to severely cut down on their YouTube stuff, but wouldn't that be worth it if you could go from doing games as a hobby by yourself to working in games full time with pros like GB has?

(This conversation is immaterial anyway since I highly doubt GB would even want to hire a YouTuber!)

Scizzy

Although im sure CBS health and retirement plans are better than a lot of places

Given that everyone except Jeff in GBWest swings a SF apartment, the pay is probably pretty good.

I don't think any youtuber could keep up with their current content level AND work a full time job. And do dan and danny monetize their vids?

I'm sure they do get paid similar to the average journalist at ign or kotaku. I mean I don't think either Patrick or Austin left because of money.

Tagyhag

Given that everyone except Jeff in GBWest swings a SF apartment, the pay is probably pretty good.

Didn't Dan say he pays $2,800 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm not sure what his fiance does for a living but that's no small potatoes.

justjim89

Pat Baer is such a delight. Great Beastcast today. They should get him on the Powerbombcast.

They should also do another Powerbombcast.

imBask

Banned
Again I will say,

Working for a big company like CBS has it's advantage you know... if anything, if you don't like it you can just quit and go back to what you were doing, and most likely bringing even more people to your channel without really alienating your old audience (that is if you work for a site like Giant Bomb who doesn't have many haters, unlike sites like Kotaku and Polygon)

you get health insurance, a retirement plan, I have more trouble seeing why someone WOULDN'T make the jump if the opportunity presented itself

Curufinwe

Didn't Dan say he pays $2,800 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm not sure what his fiance does for a living but that's no small potatoes.

He could rent a huge house for that much in Jersey. Vinny could recommend some nice neighborhoods, I'm sure.

daily reminder that Brad does way less work than you and gets paid way more.

2438847-1024843163-iB4oJ.gif

Top Bottom