• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Harpuia

Hearing Alec talk about refunds and the "too bad" attitude, I was like...rolling my eyes.

Listening to that part of the beastcast, I found myself agreeing and disagreeing with Alex on this.

I definitely think that you should return your stuff if you so desire. Alex approaches this problem from the perspective of having gotten your money's worth out of something by experiencing it (listening to a song, playing to the end of the game). Also out of respect for the people who created the product.

I think that for people who've played +50 hours of No Man's Sky, have gotten several achievements, they should not be able to return it. But someone who's only played 5-8 hours should be well within their rights to return the game. They have spent the sufficient amount of time to judge something, and decide if it's for them or not.

Similarly, people who've spent more than 2 hours on a game like Gone Home shouldn't get such an easy pass on returning it. I'm unsure of what return policies are for movies and movie tickets, but something along those lines is fair.

Chances that something unintentionally funny will happen during Sony's PlayStation Meeting stream on Wednesday that will cause the guys to lose it?

Didn't Dan say he pays $2,800 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm not sure what his fiance does for a living but that's no small potatoes.
The rent is $2,800 but its split with his roommate so he is paying $1400 a month. Which isn't bad seeing how I pay $1,100 for my 1 bedroom in NJ.

ArjanN

I guarantee you I make more money than Brad while being able to sit on my ass all day if I so choose. It's not like finding buried treasure.

?

It's certainly more than 99% of the population can say.

You're right about one thing, nobody in this thread has any fucking idea what or how much Brad does there.

well yeah, although you can see 100% of what their output is though.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, but hey I figure we could use a distraction and this is a weird thing I just couldn't keep to myself.

So here is Diamond Dave on CoD and Esports.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The refund talk on Bomb- and Beastcast was too much about the ethics of a refund in general. In the end it comes down to the platformholder and the law and not to some arbitrary feeling of how much is too much which was most of what they talked about.
People that actually wanted one after 50 hours of playtime are such a tiny fraction anyway, it's barely worth it.

What would've been interesting to me, and both didn't talk about that, is what a refund actually means for Steam, the publisher and the developer of a game. Who's actually losing anything here and is it even a loss for Steam at all, since the money is already in their eco-system.

?

It's certainly more than 99% of the population can say.
Brad makes more money than 99% of the population? Damn, I need to get in on that sweet video game coverage deal.

ArjanN

Brad makes more money than 99% of the population? Damn, I need to get in on that sweet video game coverage deal.

I was responding to Ashby who said:

I guarantee you I make more money than Brad while being able to sit on my ass all day if I so choose. It's not like finding buried treasure.

So if you can make more money than Brad by doing nothing you're probably in the 1% yeah.

Tagyhag

I think my cousin pays about $1500/wk for a place in London.

That's just crazy, I'm looking at San Francisco downtown apartments and phew.

1 Bedroom 1 Bathroom $6,463

I understand the lack of space and people having above average income over there but that's nuts.

We need more monolithic skyscrapers!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

At the very least, more than 90%. Numbers I can find (which may have been pulled straight out of somebody's ass and thrown onto Wikipedia, but it's all I could find) show 2012's bottom 90% of earners averaging just over $30,000 per year.

GuyKazama

The rent is $2,800 but its split with his roommate so he is paying $1400 a month. Which isn't bad seeing how I pay $1,100 for my 1 bedroom in NJ.

That would be really cheap in SF. I paid $3k for my 1 bedroom there, and even in roommate situations haven't heard of rent less than 1.5k.

TraBuch

Banned
I pay $1200 a month for a three bedroom, three bathroom house in Virginia. I can't imagine living in California.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, I should rent out a room or two. Make a little extra money.

imBask

Banned
SOMEONE INSULTED BRAD IN THIS THREAD AND HE NEEDS ME TO DEFEND HIM BECAUSE HE'S A HARD WORKER AND HE WORKS HARD OK

My god it's like Brad cured your dogs cancer while saving your parents from a burnign house or something. Someone made a joke about working less, chill out

imBask

Banned
True fact, Brad spends most of the workday sleeping under his desk

EXCUSE ME?! Brad is a very nice man who sleeps in a very nice bed with very nice sheets ok. He also washes those sheets with green biodegradable soap, he literally saves billions of animals all by himself

you should probably delete your account and unsubscribe to giant bomb, you don't deserve their content

Tagyhag

I pay $1200 a month for a three bedroom, three bathroom house in Virginia. I can't imagine living in California.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, I should rent out a room or two. Make a little extra money.

SF/LA/SD are all bad but you go just a few miles out (At least for the two former) and you're just dandy.

I pay $1100 for 1 bed a month and it's in a great and highly accessible area.

Zaph

I think my cousin pays about $1500/wk for a place in London.

London is a pretty cool city but those rent prices are a big "nope".
London prices are no doubt high, but the main difference between it and SF is that there are options. I like to live central but in a quiet area, so that comes at a premium, but if you don't care about being somewhere cool, you can live relatively cheap and commute an hour using the extensive public transport links.

SF is tiny in comparison and public transport is shit, which makes it far worse for the working/middle class.

kingocfs

That rent will get you a sweet windowless basement in some dude's house here on Long Island. You'll have to share it with the crickets, though.

imBask

Banned
I hate when these sort of conversations start, even as a joke because it'll eventually not be a joke...

I don't know I just don't see the problem, I think everyone's curious about how much these guys make so I don't see why we can't discuss it... None of us actually know it, but I don't see the problem with speculations. It's not any worst than talking about TV and movie stars and how much they make

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, atleast Alex was amazing in CvS2

CrTlCmcVUAAHhEJ.jpg:large

CrTwFxIUIAALzH4.jpg:large

Top Bottom