• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

You'd be surprised. Do you have a lot of friends in urban areas? They're so common. Having mice has totally fucked my peripheral vision. I always think i see something running along the wall out of the corner of my eye.

I'm more concerned with the frequency of his encounters. Like does the landlord not care at all?

thanks pizza hut

Should have waited for Friday and gotten the grilled cheese crust pizza.

justjim89

I think it was just the general defense of the game's brokenness. Jeff was arguing that we should hold games to a higher standard technically, and Austin was saying "It's unreasonable to expect a video game that doesn't crash and break constantly." Not even a paraphrase, he said that.

Their argument was more that no one but Bethesda makes games quite like that, so it's not fair to say that the bugs come out of incompetence or laziness, but a natural byproduct of making huge clockwork games like they do. And they're not entirely wrong. I love Witcher 3 and personally think it's the best game of the past decade, but even that isn't doing everything that Fallout 4 does.

danm999

I think it was just the general defense of the game's brokenness. Jeff was arguing that we should hold games to a higher standard technically, and Austin was saying "It's unreasonable to expect a video game that doesn't crash and break constantly." Not even a paraphrase, he said that.

It was a bit galling a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with the game's scope that Jeff and Vinny were bringing up (the subdued RPG elements, the weak story, plotting and atmosphere, the base building elements being awkward and not connecting organically with anything else in the game, the awful framerate and technical issues) were being swept under the rug because Bethesda makes big game worlds.

Their argument was more that no one but Bethesda makes games quite like that, so it's not fair to say that the bugs come out of incompetence or laziness, but a natural byproduct of making huge clockwork games like they do. And they're not entirely wrong. I love Witcher 3 and personally think it's the best game of the past decade, but even that isn't doing everything that Fallout 4 does.
Sure! But I don't think that clockwork world stuff is as impressive as it once was, and isn't really used to great effect in those games. I felt waaaay more connected to the world of Witcher 3, and it wasn't because Mister Shopowner gets the mail every day at noon.
It was a bit galling a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with the game's scope that Jeff and Vinny were bringing up (the subdued RPG elements, the weak story, plotting and atmosphere, the base building elements being awkward and not connecting organically with anything else in the game, the awful framerate and technical issues) were being swept under the rug because Bethesda makes big game worlds.
Yep. We don't need to rehash the whole argument, but Jeff (and Vinny) was so right and the others were so not.

justjim89

Sure! But I don't think that clockwork world stuff is as impressive as it once was, and isn't really used to great effect in those games. I felt waaaay more connected to the world of Witcher 3, and it wasn't because Mister Shopowner gets the mail every day at noon.

You're not wrong. And that doesn't address how Fallout 4 is barely an RPG, or the horribly implemented dialogue system, etc. They all really bounced off of Fallout, which surprises me. They never even looked at the DLC, which is superb.

Against my better judgement, I find myself really eager too what Bethesda does for TESVI.

Come on, Valenwood.

And also even if Fallout 4 ran perfectly it would still be a massive disappointment.

Edit: ^ what justjim said. But i guess it was all okay because they put a magnifying glass over items that have the mats you want for the shitty basebuilding minigame

You're not wrong. And that doesn't address how Fallout 4 is barely an RPG, or the horribly implemented dialogue system, etc. They all really bounced off of Fallout, which surprises me. They never even looked at the DLC, which is superb.

Against my better judgement, I find myself really eager too what Bethesda does for TESVI.

Come on, Valenwood.

I hope the next Elder Scrolls is awesome and significantly different.

I also really want to play Fallout 4 VR too, despite everything.

Jintor

the thing about clockworld worlds though is that fallout's emergent systems generally by and large don't make interesting situations turn up, unless vinny gets one-shotted leaving the vault for the first time

So, a while back I mentioned that things are happening that may change my life in a very big way. Well, it's almost confirmed that after years of hard work and LOTS OF PATIENCE. I'm going to continue my studies for a masters degree in Computer Engineering in America, a country I've only been to once more than a decade ago.

Is anyone here from Colorado? because I'm going to study there and was wondering what it's like being there and all.

Nice. Missed it earlier today with all the paper work I've been doing for the past few weeks/month, hopefully I could catch up on watching them live again soon.

Awesome, thanks!

The premium side has a lot more than I figured it would have, wow.

As always, check this out.

Teddified

I still need to play Nuka-world. I've been stuck playing the excellent skyrim mod Enderal to get my fix of skyrim so I wont have to play the remaster and it's been taking awhile to complete it.

Bethesda RPGs operate entirely on scale. They track every character, item, and worldstate, but for no reason other than to say they do. Their quests are the most basic, straightforward stuff you can find; interaction might as well be binary; and the actual value of any one object in the game is questionable at best (except dragons they rock). And all of this is at great cost, sacrificing polish and stability all for *wow factor*. The biggest redeeming factor, at least for me on PC, is the modding scene that can fill out all of the opportunities Bethesda's RPGs leave off the table.

Meanwhile, look at something like Divinity: Original Sin. It is a free-form RPG with purpose: its large hub areas are filled with things to do, challenges to overcome, and secrets to uncover. The freedom inherent to its design goes right into how you play--that is, any way you want--so that, if you can find of a way to solve a problem, you can very well do it.

DOS is both the antithesis and brother-in-arms to the Bethesda RPG, and it's downright puzzling that this is the case.

In other words, Fallout: New Vegas is the best Bethesda RPG on the market.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

What is that stuff in Fallout 4 though? I haven't played it yet, but if its like Skyrim then by this point Bethesda clockwork, from where I stand, has basically been reduced to a physics engine and the ability to lure and fuck with NPCs. The days of breaking the spell system to create ridiculous situations in Morrowind are long gone and they aren't coming back.

the thing about clockworld worlds though is that fallout's emergent systems generally by and large don't make interesting situations turn up, unless vinny gets one-shotted leaving the vault for the first time

Basically

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I've came to realise that my hype for 4 was based on how much I loved new vegas, but then 4 contained very little of what I liked about new vegas.

So, a while back I mentioned that things are happening that may change my life in a very big way. Well, it's almost confirmed that after years of hard work and LOTS OF PATIENCE. I'm going to continue my studies for a masters degree in Computer Engineering in America, a country I've only been to once more than a decade ago.

Is anyone here from Colorado? because I'm going to study there and was wondering what it's like being there and all.
Congrats! That's awesome, what a change that will be for you.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV equally and played the crap out of them.

My problem with 4 was just that it was so similar to 3, after having played so much of the previous iterations I burnt out on 4 a lot quicker. If I hadn't spent dozens of hours in the last two games in the series I would've had a great time with it.

Be prepared for a million replies about legal weed. But if you've any sort of love for the outdoors, hiking, camping, etc. you're going to have an amazing time. The Colorado Rockies are one of my favorite places in the world.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, jeff pretty much voiced why I thought sony threw hello games under the bus, then people seem to think I was being ridiculous.

The Technomancer

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV equally and played the crap out of them.

My problem with 4 was just that it was so similar to 3, after having played so much of the previous iterations I burnt out on 4 a lot quicker. If I hadn't spent dozens of hours in the last two games in the series I would've had a great time with it.

I can totally see why people would enjoy Fallout 4, even if nothing I've seen of it makes me want to play it for more than like $20. The main problem I have with it is that very little of what people seem to get out of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games these days really seems to depend on such ambitious systems that the level of bugginess exhibited would be acceptable. Yeah its super fun that you can fuck around with the physics engine and all the stuff you can pick up, but that physics engine can be better. And less shit

The Technomancer

Yeah, jeff pretty much voiced why I thought sony threw hello games under the bus, then people seem to think I was being ridiculous.

yeah Sony totally did and people's reaction to that surprised me. "Shame he didn't have a PR person" WASN'T THAT WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING FOR THEM?

Antiwhippy

or maybe now people think you AND jeff are being ridiculous? Or is Jeff Gerstmann the final authority on everything?

Nope, but he lists out the reasons for it that I did which seemed logical to me.

Not to say hello games get no blame for it because they obviously do, but I always thought the way sony has handled all of this seems really suspect considering the way they were treating the game.

The Technomancer

Nope, but he lists out the reasons for it that I did which seemed logical to me.

Not to say hello games get no blame for it because they obviously do, but I always thought the way sony has handled all of this seems really suspect considering the way they were treating the game.

I think its almost inarguable that without Sony the No Mans Sky hype isn't nearly as high and the resulting hype crash therefore isn't nearly as bad. Which isn't to take things off of Sean, because man, Sean said some real shit that he knew really wasn't making it into the game. But Sony gave that game and the promises of that game a legitimacy that it wouldn't have had otherwise

justjim89

Congratulations! Colorado is beautiful with a youthful, liberal culture. Lots of great hiking spots, a pretty big variety of food, and weed stores fucking everywhere. Seriously.
It's awesome.

Thanks man. I'm excited for the most part and nervous because I don't know what it's like there. If anyone's here living or used to live in Colorado(Denver specifically), I'd love their input on how it's like being there and all.
Never been, but I've heard great things about Denver. You'll be fine! Probably.

danm999

yeah Sony totally did and people's reaction to that surprised me. "Shame he didn't have a PR person" WASN'T THAT WHAT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING FOR THEM?

Sony has had a weird habit recently of drumming up a lot of excitement and enthusiasm for something and then when it hits a bump in the road they're less on it.

See also; Shenmue 3.

Lunar FC

Are you in downtown Denver?

Go to Lark Burger, you won't be disappointed.

Tubobutts

Thanks man. I'm excited for the most part and nervous because I don't know what it's like there. If anyone's here living or used to live in Colorado(Denver specifically), I'd love their input on how it's like being there and all.
My aunt lived in Colorado and when I went there 10 years ago I chopped some logs and watched Degrassi. So I recommend that.

I just realized PSVR will release three weeks from Thursday (with the only advertisements being the Taco Bell ones). That's coming quickly! I'd assume we'll get another one of those long VR streams that week.

My aunt lived in Colorado and when I went there 10 years ago I chopped some logs and watched Degrassi. So I recommend that.

Sounds swell.

Are you in downtown Denver?

Go to Lark Burger, you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I'll be living there.

Never been, but I've heard great things about Denver. You'll be fine! Probably.

I did too here and there but it looks like my choice in studying there was a solid one based on the responses here. Pretty excited. I should be flying by the end of October or beginning of November.

Be prepared for a million replies about legal weed. But if you've any sort of love for the outdoors, hiking, camping, etc. you're going to have an amazing time. The Colorado Rockies are one of my favorite places in the world.

Congratulations! Colorado is beautiful with a youthful, liberal culture. Lots of great hiking spots, a pretty big variety of food, and weed stores fucking everywhere. Seriously.
It's awesome.

i83AY05.gif

Sounds great.

Johndoey

Banned

Nice. Missed it earlier today with all the paper work I've been doing for the past few weeks/month, hopefully I could catch up on watching them live again soon.

As always, check this out.
Good shit yo, congrats.
--
https://youtu.be/v7JM7qCSRPw

Anjin M

This sounds like an amazing opportunity. Wish I had any advice, but I've only spent a week in Colorado on a vacation ten years ago. Denver seemed like an interesting city, but I didn't spend much time there.

Man, being excited about Forza Horizon is bringing me back to the 360 heyday. I'm happy to be excited about MS first party stuff again.

i don't think handibot was all that funny and it wasn't even close to the best part of that segment

Thank you, my good man.

This sounds like an amazing opportunity. Wish I had any advice, but I've only spent a week in Colorado on a vacation ten years ago. Denver seemed like an interesting city, but I didn't spend much time there.

Go to a concert at Red Rocks, love that place.

Duly noted.

I'm going to get this sometime next month, probably with Mafia 3. Excited for it but maaaaaaan, I hate that nothing happens when you crash into other cars which just shows how much I miss Burnout. Here's a test I did in the demo.

H7Mas98.gif

I have a couple cousins who live in Denver and they love it there. I've only been there on vacations a few times and it was a really nice area, absolutely beautiful. Tons of stuff to do there. I've heard a lot of really good things about living there, hopefully you'll like it! Congrats on the opportunity :)

Thanks man <3.

I have a couple cousins who live in Denver and they love it there. I've only been there on vacations a few times and it was a really nice area, absolutely beautiful. Tons of stuff to do there. I've heard a lot of really good things about living there, hopefully you'll like it! Congrats on the opportunity :)

Top Bottom