• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

2889362-cp_virginia_ql.00_07_55_14.still001.jpg

Quick Look: Virginia
While it won't be for everyone, Virginia is definitely for more than just lovers.

e: I enjoyed the game overall.
e2: I'm glad Vinny enjoyed this game a bunch.

repeater

I'm not familiar with the ending to Shenmue, and you writing that might make me second guess a lot of stuff. I'm not super sensitive to stuff like that, but you know about our spoiler sensitive times. Just imagine the uproar in this thread if Brad had posted that! :)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm not familiar with the ending to Shenmue, and you writing that might make me second guess a lot of stuff. I'm not super sensitive to stuff like that, but you know about our spoiler sensitive times. Just imagine the uproar in this thread if Brad had posted that! :)

I won't say anything else, but I am now eagerly awaiting the end of this endurance run

Scizzy

Ryo has a split personality and doesn't realize that he actually killed his own father.

Edit to add: this is why everyone is town is so awkward when you talk to them.

is the ending it's all a dream?
Ryo and Gui Zhang crash a big gang meeting at the harbor and fight 70 dudes but find nothing about Lan Di. Chen tells Ryo "okay I'll send you to Hong Kong sheesh" and Ryo takes one last walk through town before getting back to the harbor and fighting Gollum and once again learning that yes, Lan Di is going to Hong Kong. Ryo gets on the boat and there's some voice over about how now the story of Shenmue is beginning.

KorrZ

Ryo and Gui Zhang crash a big gang meeting at the harbor and fight 70 dudes but find nothing about Lan Di. Chen tells Ryo "okay I'll send you to Hong Kong sheesh" and Ryo takes one last walk through town before getting back to the harbor and fighting Gollum and once again learning that yes, Lan Di is going to Hong Kong. Ryo gets on the boat and there's some voice over about how now the story of Shenmue is beginning.

Why do people like this game?

Vinny/Alex's reactions are going to be glorious.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

😂

The biggest Shenmue shit talkers are the one that didn't play it in 2000, that shit was magical at the time. No matter how bad it is by today's standards I'll always have a soft spot for it. It's comparable to Deadly Premonition, a bad "game" but a great game too.

Plus all the twit haters can kiss off and fight Lan Di-sama!

Scizzy

The biggest Shenmue shit talkers are the one that didn't play it in 2000, that shit was magical at the time. No matter how bad it is by today's standards I'll always have a soft spot for it. It's comparable to Deadly Premonition, a bad "game" but a great game too.

Some groundbreaking works of art age very well: I Love Lucy, Illmatic, Citizen Kane, Mario 64, etc. Others ... don't.

repeater

I see.

oti

Banned
I really hope Shemnue 3 turns out to be exactly like Shemnue 1 but with better textures. The animation, the voice acting, the mechanics should all stay the same.

KingKong

instead of playing Deadly Premonition you can just rewatch Twin Peaks because anything good has been shamelessly ripped off from it

strafer

no way this is real... :D

Seeing them get into Shenmue 2 will be fun for losing the nostalgia angle Dan has. It's an all around better game but has its fair share of Shenmueisms.

pizzacat

Banned

the only bad thing about deadly premonition is actually playing it

shenmue is bad all around

Shenmueisms.

10c65289-c4ef-4c3a-8c98-488ea6bf4d21.jpg

Deadly Premonitions is entertaining to play on your own but I couldn't get into either endurance run. Shenmue's is worth it for Vinny's descent into madness alone.

Johndoey

Banned
😂😂😂😆😖😠😭😨😁😁😁

Deadly Premonition is a bad "game" and also a bad game
No DP is goddamn magical. Shenmue is cool for the time. Premonition is immortal.

hamchan

Games from 2000 that aged better (and are better) than Shenmue:

The Sims
Vagrant Story
Majora's Mask
Deus Ex
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tekken Tag Tournament
Final Fantasy IX
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Diablo 2

Why don't I just copy and paste the whole list of year 2000 games and then delete Shenmue?

KingKong

Games from 2000 that aged better (and are better) than Shenmue:

The Sims
Vagrant Story
Majora's Mask
Deus Ex
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tekken Tag Tournament
Final Fantasy IX
Skies of Arcadia
Space Channel 5
Diablo 2

Why don't I just copy and paste the whole list of year 2000 games and then delete Shenmue?

I mean to be fair you need to compare it to just RPGs from that time and most have aged pretty badly

strafer

and this Virginia game looks really good.

Never have I see Vinny play a game this seriously.

Would love if they did a let's play.

Top Bottom