• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

TraBuch

Banned
I'm about to say some very irrational, extremely petty
kinda tongue-in-cheek
stuff here, but I'm gonna be upset if Dark Souls III makes it on the top 10 in a more stacked year and Bloodborne didn't make it last year in a thinner year.
It was robbed. Biggest snub since...2014.

The New Order was robbed.

I don't think I made it more than a third of the way through Dark Souls III. I fell in love with the first game around the time Vinny did his Load our Last Souls playthrough. Then spent a ton of time with 2 but after finishing it had no desire to go back for the DLC. Bloodborne was cool but got halfway through and dropped it for a couple months before finally finishing it. I got consecutively more and more fatigued with each game, and III in particular just felt like a "Dark Souls: Greatest Hits Edition", don't think it was a bad game by any means but it was way too familiar to me.

It feels like nobody talks about that game any more. I still see Bloodborne get regularly discussed but I often forget DS3 exists.

hamchan

I find it ludicrous that it even got to a Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne final battle for tenth place and just further confirmation that my tastes don't align that much with them.

imBask

Banned
i'm about 3h into doom, it's really good but like... is it really better than OW, Blood and Wine, Hitman, Stardew Valley, Ratchet & Clank,
Street Fighter V
?

I don't know man. At least this year I won't be completely salty when DOOM wins, I will understand the pick for once

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Overall it was a fun stream, but at the end I don't think anyone was sold on PSVR.

If I had to pick a headset at this point it would be the Vive, but the real sensible thing is to continue sitting this out.

I'd go Vive as well but there's not enough there yet. I upgraded my PC over the past year with the intent to buy a headset around this time. I'll either buy in at gen 2 or if the Vive goes on sale. Shame there isn't more out there.

I kinda checked out from that psvr thread after that one dude insulted Jeff's appearance and another quoted it with "LMAO."

Both are banned now.

Joeku

Unless there's any big drops that blow minds the last couple months here (maybe Mafia III, Dishonored, Titanfall, or --god forbid-- FFXV), the top three are absolutely going to be DOOM on top with Overwatch and Hitman following in some order.

As much as I fucking adore Hitman, there is a lot of bullshit surrounding it that should knock it down some notches. But it won't here.

Edit: And it's fucking criminal that Wolfenstein didn't make it to the list in 2014. Goty.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
American Truck Simulator > The Witness
tumblr_o2gcp5gQPd1u5eu8ao1_1280.png

oti

Banned
I will riot if Firewatch makes it, DOOM wins GOTY, SFV wins most disappointing and Paper Mario doesn't win Best Graphics.

Chuck

Still without luck
Well both of them are coming out too late to be considered for this year, and too early for next, so there's that.
Im mostly joking when I say that.

I actually think that out of the seven GB peeps, only one of them will play and finish just one of these two games, (TLG or FF).

Meguro

Banned
DOOM will win GOTY.
It's a lock.
Even if somehow Alex, Vinny and Dan all agree on Overwatch being #1, Jeff will just google something that's wrong with the game and present that as his argument.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
New Nvidia experience client has some streaming and screenshot elements in it

Dude, fuck off. How many clients now have some sort of 'PRESS SO AND SO TO STREAM' built into their client? I just want a regular driver update. I don't need this on top of windows on top of Steam saying 'hey man you can stream this'

New Nvidia experience client has some streaming and screenshot elements in it

Dude, fuck off. How many clients now have some sort of 'PRESS SO AND SO TO STREAM' built into their client? I just want a regular driver update. I don't need this on top of windows on top of Steam saying 'hey man you can stream this'

Shadowplay has been around for years. Can you not just install the drivers anymore?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Shadowplay has been around for years. Can you not just install the drivers anymore?

Experience has never prompted me to stream before. It's had the options but now it gives me a notif and a button combination(that I use for other games pretty regularly) and basically now assumes I want to stream

I had to disable it in 3 different menus.,

Strax

I tried to play The Witcher 3 yesterday. I have something like 6 hours of the main story left from what I've been told. I haven't touch it it almost a year and I found the controls to be so bad I played maybe 20 mins. I have not idea how I played so much of this game.

That Mafia 3 early copy impressions thread is bumming me out. Repetitive missions and a city filled with nothing to do besides the main missions.

Experience has never prompted me to stream before. It's had the options but now it gives me a notif and a button combination(that I use for other games pretty regularly) and basically now assumes I want to stream

I had to disable it in 3 different menus.,

Ooh, yeah I hate the overlay. When I launch a Ubisoft game I have like three different layers of overlay going on.

TraBuch

Banned
I tried to play The Witcher 3 yesterday. I have something like 6 hours of the main story left from what I've been told. I haven't touch it it almost a year and I found the controls to be so bad I played maybe 20 mins. I have not idea how I played so much of this game.

That Mafia 3 early copy impressions thread is bumming me out. Repetitive missions and a city filled with nothing to do besides the main missions.
Buy you can collect nudie mags.

Mafia III could be the open world bloat tipping point where that kind of thing just doesn't fly anymore and it gets rotten scores.

Still gonna play it prob.

I finished Doom yesterday. It wouldn't be my GOTY, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. If I was coming in with the rock bottom expectations I had when it launched I'd probably be blown away, though. The games I would put above it this year, Dark Souls 3 and XCom 2 (I think it's significantly better than the first one but those technical issues, ugh), I know aren't really in the running for the Giant Bomb crew. Based on discussions, I can't see anything released so far that approaches Doom for that number 1 spot. I think Overwatch is the logical number 2 but it's not really in the conversation for that 1 spot.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It is kind of funny whenever the crowdfunding business started to pick up you'd hear a lot of 'yeah man, so the devs can make their original ideas. And not let the game get milked and forced to make sequels all the time!' from the community And now we already have Original Sin 2 and Wasteland 3 in development.
Mafia III could be the open world bloat tipping point where that kind of thing just doesn't fly anymore and it gets rotten scores.

Still gonna play it prob.

But there have been very few open world gmaes like that. Most of them are more in the vein of Far Cry 2 or Assassin's Creed. Not so much the GTA-esques.

demidar

It is kind of funny whenever the crowdfunding business started to pick up you'd hear a lot of 'yeah man, so the devs can make their original ideas. And not let the game get milked and forced to make sequels all the time!' from the community And now we already have Original Sin 2 and Wasteland 3 in development.

But there have been very few open world gmaes like that. Most of them are more in the vein of Far Cry 2 or Assassin's Creed. Not so much the GTA-esques.

To be fair, Original Sin had an amazing turn-based combat system.

No comment on Wasteland 2 >_>

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was listening to them talk about Bulletstorm on the Bombcast and just realized

Crackdown 3 got announced and still isn't out. And like hasn't had a showing since like E3 two years ago or something

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So Color Splash, huh? I don't think I've ever heard Dan that angry about something. So typical Nintendo, everybody was critizicing the combat system in Sticker Star, of course they are using it AGAIN despite everybody hating it. Urgh.

If there is any justice in this world.

Even Drew played and liked it. There is no chance Doom won't win. This'll be the first year they work their way backwards cause it'll be so obvious what game wins.

kai3345

Banned
All I remember about that game is Kleptok talking about stacking chairs or something. Is it a significant time investment?

It is long but it's absolutely worth it. One of the best games of the past few years, period.

It's the closest any game has come to replicating the goofy freeform nature of actual tabletop D&D.

Top Bottom