• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Are there many ganes with good endings that could be spoiled during GOTY this year? I can't really think of many. Mafia seems to be interesting (don't know the ending) but the juggernauts like LiS or MGSV seem to be missing this year. Maybe The Witness? NMS? Am I missing stuff?

Not a good ending, but Vinny could spoil Zero Time Dilemma.

repeater

I think the ending is very much what you'd expect from the Idle Thumbs crew, but I think they made the mistake of having it be not remotely satisfying. You can do that type of ending better.
Oh cool, so the main characters sit down for an hour and speculate wildly about games they haven't played? It's an original ending to a videogame (if a little bit selfconsciously meta), I'll give them that.

Mainly a podcast, but they do occasionally Twitch streams which then go on their YouTube channel.

Some are really good. Podcast is always top quality, albeit slightly less good now Danielle isn't on it regularly.

Meguro

Banned
Did the GB crew ever talk at length about Star Citizen?
Cause the SP of that just got delayed again and I'm at the point where I think that game is never coming out ever.

oti

Banned
Mainly a podcast, but they do occasionally Twitch streams which then go on their YouTube channel.

Some are really good. Podcast is always top quality, albeit slightly less good now Danielle isn't on it regularly.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait. Are those the guys who talked about Cart Life as if it was the game of the century? A few years back when I listened to every podcast under the sun
IGN Girlfight was my favourite IGN podcast, mkay
I downloaded a few episodes of that as well. Didn't grab me.

I can't remember if they went on a love fest of Cart Life off the top of my head. They do like games which are outside the norm though.

Like Far Cry 2.

Have you ever played Far Cry 2?

If you've played Far Cry 2 you'll really like Idle Thumbs.

Far Cry 2.

oti

Banned
I can't remember if they went on a love fest of Cart Life off the top of my head. They do like games which are outside the norm though.

Like Far Cry 2.

Have you ever played Far Cry 2?

If you've played Far Cry 2 you'll really like Idle Thumbs.

Far Cry 2.

I did play Far Cry 2. Not a fan.

jgminto

I think Zero Time Dilemma is the only thing I still want to finish the story of so far this year and Vinny would be the only one to bring that up of the actual staff.

Joeku

Idle Thumbs has evolved and expanded. There are more than grenades, more than hills, and more than you think. You want some fucking elevated insider commentary? Video gAAAaames.

Step the fuck up.

Xater

Only to realize that now it's going to be a ton of shenmue fans wanting them to play 2.

I enjoyed Shenmue back then, but I know that it was just a time and place thing. The game kinda sucks. Shenmue 2 was better, but I don't think it holds up either. Despite that a Shenmue 2 playthrough could still be entertaining, but I don#t feel like I need it.

Shenmue 2 is a lot more of a traditional adventure. It goes through 3 locations, there's less of the daily grind, more fleshed out characters, faster pacer.

They'd enjoy it much more.

jgminto

Vinny should take a breather from Shenmue and have Dan pilot that Yakuza ER when he moves back to NY, maybe Alex could pilot something as well but I'm not sure what.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, I feel kind of bait and switched but.. repeatedly with Mafia 3. The setting and characters are great. The opening is so strong and it keeps going strong for a while.

Then every other mission inbetween is filled with what are essentially forced side missions. I don't know if that's good on the game itself that the story is so interesting that I want to see more or bad because I feel like the interesting story is nonstop broken up by 'ok now go take this no-name hut from this no-name npc and we'll reward you with another no-name hut with a no-name npc and THEN you get a cool cutscene'

I'm really disappointed that Mafia 3 has apparently turned out to be mediocre, but I'm grateful that it's freed up some cash so that I could get Gears 4 instead.

It's a little scary how much my hype for a game rises when the PC port is good. Good on the coalition for apparently releasing a technically excellent game.

KingKong

Honestly, I feel kind of bait and switched but.. repeatedly with Mafia 3. The setting and characters are great. The opening is so strong and it keeps going strong for a while.

Then every other mission inbetween is filled with what are essentially forced side missions. I don't know if that's good on the game itself that the story is so interesting that I want to see more or bad because I feel like the interesting story is nonstop broken up by 'ok now go take this no-name hut from this no-name npc and we'll reward you with another no-name hut with a no-name npc and THEN you get a cool cutscene'

I do not understand why they keep trying to make open world games when theyre clearly bad at them and what they really want to do is tell a story. I guess the publisher is making them but its much quicker and cheaper to just do a linear 10 hour experience

Yeah, I'm a huge Mafia 2 fan, and all I did in that game was go from main mission to main mission.

Which is fine, because that was fucking great, but why spend the money on the open world...

The bugs in Mafia 3 wouldn't bother me, but tedious side content padding it out? That's one of my biggest hatreds in gaming. No way I could waste my time on that shite.

Top Bottom