• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't even know if I'd call it mediocre. It's like half a good game/half a bad game. I think they took the side content criticism in Mafia 2 the wrong way and said 'oh not enough side content? well we'll put more in.. but we'll force it into the storyline so you have to go through our pretty world.' Which it is a pretty world.

Ironically, the 'fun' levels of open world messing around look a lot higher in Watch Dogs 2.

Johndoey

Banned
I can stomach some middling open world content for an actual legitimate attempt to discuss race and discrimination in a video game, and the little I've seen of the writing has seemed really damn good.
---
It looks like it's going a bit deeper than the usual "racism is bad" we get.
---
I will say as badly as Mankind Divided ends up botching what it was going for in a cloud of 80's conspiracy trash, it at least attempted to do something.

As a side-note fuck Bioshock Infinite.

The Gears 4 QL reminded me how my Xbox 360S died while I was playing Gears 3 so I never finished it. Still, I think I'm ready to play a new Gears game and I'm so happy I can do so on PC. I'm curious to see how it feels with keyboard and mouse!

Johndoey

Banned
It's crazy how adorable DQ Builders is, I just want to curl up by the fireplace with some whiskey and murder slime creatures.
--
Question what's your highest per wing price? I try not to go over ¢65 per wing.

The Gears 4 QL reminded me how my Xbox 360S died while I was playing Gears 3 so I never finished it. Still, I think I'm ready to play a new Gears game and I'm so happy I can do so on PC. I'm curious to see how it feels with keyboard and mouse!

Yeah I'm really curious how the MP will port over. Rolling will be a little awkward for sure with only WASD. It definitely was in the Division.

justjim89

Aragami doesn't look particularly ground-breaking, but at least it's a proper stealth game. That bit where Brad and Dan where talking about how modern stealth games always let you go nuts if you want to as if it was a good thing just bugged me, because for years I've always thought of that as a great failing of the stealth genre these days. If going loud and violent is just as viable as sneaking and they're presented as equal methods, why even offer the stealth? What's the character's motivation for going stealthy if he or she is sturdy enough get into fight after fight and not die?

Ugh. Yet another reason there'll never be a better stealth game than Thief 1 and 2.

KingKong

Aragami doesn't look particularly ground-breaking, but at least it's a proper stealth game. That bit where Brad and Dan where talking about how modern stealth games always let you go nuts if you want to as if it was a good thing just bugged me, because for years I've always thought of that as a great failing of the stealth genre these days. If going loud and violent is just as viable as sneaking and they're presented as equal methods, why even offer the stealth? What's the character's motivation for going stealthy if he or she is sturdy enough get into fight after fight and not die?

Ugh. Yet another reason there'll never be a better stealth game than Thief 1 and 2.

You spend half your time in Thief 1 killing dinosaurs, skeletons and ghosts so I don't think that's a good example. Now Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, there's a proper stealth game

Johndoey

Banned
The PlayStation pricing thread is great, it still tickles when I see some random person on a forum decides they got the secret sauce to increase sales.

justjim89

Yeah I love Thief 2. The life of the party is still one of my favorite levels in any game

Life of the party is great. That rooftop bit with the guards of the opposing nobles on opposite rooftops talking shit to one another is one of the funniest things I've seen in a game. Garrett is just the perfect stealth protagonist, too. Maybe my favorite game protagonist this side of Geralt.

It's a damn travesty that they just turned him into Batman in Thi4f.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Life of the party is great. That rooftop bit with the guards of the opposing nobles on opposite rooftops talking shit to one another is one of the funniest things I've seen in a game. Garrett is just the perfect stealth protagonist, too. Maybe my favorite game protagonist this side of Geralt.

It's a damn travesty that they just turned him into Batman in Thi4f.

Garrett is/was amazing. I hate what Thief 4 did to him, even though the game was a decent stealth game (fuck the overworld though. Shit was terrible).

I recently played the first level of Thief 1 and thought it was great. Then in level 2, I was fighting zombies and I was like fuck this and gave up. How many zombies are in Thief 2?

justjim89

Garrett is/was amazing. I hate what Thief 4 did to him, even though the game was a decent stealth game (fuck the overworld though. Shit was terrible).

Thi4f broke my heart when I realized the only pure Thief mission in the game was a pre-order bonus bank heist. I put 40 hours into that game trying to love it before I gave up.

And yeah, Garrett's m.o. going from "I steal because I'm good at it and the rent is due" to "First I stole to survive, then I survived to steal" is infuriating. At least the game outright says that Garrett in Thi4f isn't Garrett in Thief 1-3, because you find his mechanical eye in a prison cell.

Zaph

These PSVR set-up instructional videos are pretty good

VTZ58EL.gif

I think every voice in that trailer has sat on a Giant Bomb couch at one point.

Haven't watched it, but if they are the announcers, they are the McElroy brothers, notably of the podcast "My Brother, My Brother, and Me," Justin and Griffin work at Polygon, so I know they have been on GB #Content.

justjim89

I recently played the first level of Thief 1 and thought it was great. Then in level 2, I was fighting zombies and I was like fuck this and gave up. How many zombies are in Thief 2?

None that I recall. Thief 1 came out at a time when stealth games weren't really a thing, so included some levels that were more standard shooter fare with standard shooter enemies. By the time The Metal Age came around, they knew what worked and what didn't and doubled down on what worked. You'd be fine to just skip to Thief 2.

justjim89

I think fans of entertainment that occurs in space is the worst fans

You got Star Wars fans in that umbrella

Star citizen
Nms

Space is the worst setting. It's so boring. Only space game I ever enjoyed was ME2. I think I hate space more than Jeff hates Westerns.

Johndoey

Banned
You should see the comments on any Mafia 3 video
You know better than to read the comments on anything to do with a black person.

On that path lies madness and Breitbart statistics.
---
Actually yeah, making a show of shuts all your blinds and turning off your lights in the middle of the day is pretty sketch.

Top Bottom